Author Topic: How many softballers do we have here?  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
How many softballers do we have here?
« on: September 29, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Lately, I've taken a rather large hiatus from collecting and have r  arely been visiting the net for SW related stuff.  I've spent some good SW money on a couple of softball bats.

I've played a ton of ball, 2-3 nights a week from spring until fall, but until this year never got ate up like I am now about playing.  I can't wait for game night to get here.

Anybody else around here play ball?  Anyone very serious about it?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline nitro

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: How many softballers do we have here?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I was offered a spot on a local softball team this summer and even practiced with the team on several occasions before the season started. After the second practice, I saw one of my good friends go down with an  injury and was out of work for a month.

I got scared after seeing the severity of the injury and realized that I couldn't jeopardize my job by getting hurt on the ballfield. I need these legs to drive from place to place securing contracts and my job pays very well for what I do. If I was knocked out of work for that long because I got hurt in a softball game, my company could let me go at anytime due to a clause in my contract. 

Personally, there's nothing I miss more than the smell of my leather baseball glove, the sounds of baseballs/softballs hitting aluminum bats, and hearing family out in the seats cheering on...I miss playing the sport of baseball and it was something I excelled in at one point. But it was time to hang up my cleats for good this summer...

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:49 PM »
That sucks man.  Thank God for disability and a pretty good insurance plan from my job.  At least if I got hurt (depending on the injury) I could still work in some capacity.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 06:56 PM »
i have played a bunch in the past, but skipped this year.  its too bad cuz i spend kinda a bunch on a bat have only got to use it about 20 times.

i guess nitro is right that softball is a little dangerous.  it seems like someone gets hauled off in an ambulance about every other season.  but, i still wouldn't turn down a chance to play.  most injuries are caused by poor conditioning or trying to play past your abilities.  all in all though, there are alot of other sports and activities i would skip out on before softball.  actually i would say almost all sports are more dangerous than softball.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 06:58 PM by john todd »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:08 PM »
I loved playing baseball, but I've always been a little gunshy about softball because of what happened to my dad, who seriously ****** up his knee playing it when I was a kid.  I think he was the same age that I am now.  I remember him being in bed for what seemed like weeks while he recuperated.  And it still bothers him a little, to this day.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 09:12 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 09:12 PM »
My work has a team right now that's about to come in first place.  I was going to play on it but like 25 people ended up playing, so I bowed out.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 1, 2006, 11:38 PM »
My work has a team right now that's about to come in first place.  I was going to play on it but like 25 people ended up playing, so I bowed out.

i played on a team like that once.  it was hard to be competitive and fair to everyone who wanted to play.  we wound up losing almost all our games and cheesing off pretty much everyone.  with that many players you really need to have 2 teams.