Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 66116 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #180 on: December 23, 2007, 01:53 AM »
I think Hasbro's response here is somewhat on the mark.  And believe me, I have LOVED the Vintage figure line.  But I tend to agree that the figure aesthetic has definitely improved since Vintage was introduced back in 2004, and the Basic Figure line of today looks much more like the vintage line but with less expensive packaging.

Still, I think I would like to see the Vintage line return in some kind of commemorative capacity.  We do have some significant anniversaries coming up that might be well commemorated with a one-off Vintage wave.

-2008 - 25th Anniversary of Return Of The Jedi
-2009 - 10th Anniversary of The Phantom Menace
-2010 - 30th Anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back
-2012 - 10th Anniversary of Attack Of The Clones
-2013 - 30th Anniversary of Return Of The Jedi
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 23, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Can't not disagree with Hasbro's Q&A response. After all, you can't get any more perfect than the A-Wing pilot this year. If they made a Vintage one, the only thing I can see them doing is changing the paint scheme and head.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Well I mainly liked the vintage line for the old packaging.  But it was tough to swallow $10-12 for figures that were the same as the $6-7 versions.  I have to agree with Hasbro's response as well. 

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Well to be honest, I havent paid full price for any of the Vintage Figures I have and I have most of them, the ones I dont have I dont want or I am waiting to see it for a cheaper price (Yoda and Snowtrooper), one of the benefits of being a loose collector, I can get the figure loose, as I have all the Vintage (Modern) Cardbacks.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 27, 2007, 12:21 PM »
May I then assume that I will not see my Jawa nor my Death Squad Commander on these card backs?  Pity.  It won't influence my loose display as I can pull similar enough figures for that, but the lack of two of the original 12 backs really sort of leaves that nostalgic homage lacking. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2007, 12:29 PM »
As much as I think the vintage line is overpriced, maybe they can do another round but without the plastic casings and sell them for $7.00 each? 

This would be similar to the new GI JOE figures... maybe then we could get them at the standard retail price for a basic figure and you could order carded clamshells online from Hasbro directly if you wanted them; or clamshell versions could be exclusive to www.hasbrotoyshop.com for $10.00 a pop.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:23 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 28, 2007, 02:10 AM »
Sounds like a pretty cool idea, seeing I am an opener I wouldnt not getting the clamshell, and only paying 7.00 then maybes they could do the entire run from kenner that way.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 28, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Thanks Desfiy... glad you like the idea.  I think it would go over pretty well!  Imagine if in 2009, all OT characters were on vintage cards but priced the same as other figures?  I know Hasbro wants to keep the look of the line unified, but I think this would be awesome.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2007, 11:22 AM »
While the Evo sets look great & are a better value I hate to see this line go away forever, I really wanted to see more. I had no problem with the price and really liked this format. I guess I am one of the few who did not mind the $10 price tag because the vintage feel justified the price for me. They are the only figure I collect doubles of to keep one in the package. I have them all displayed and they look great.

I really wanted to see some POTF style make their way into the line. There are plenty of interesting/appealing figures to cover in this format at least one solid wave worth. Here are a few:

ANH Walrus Man
ESB Han Bespin
ESB Hoth Rebel Trooper
ESB Hoth Leia (2 heads Hoth and Bespin)
ESB Zuckass
ROTJ AT-ST Driver
ROTJ Luke Jedi (With Removable Vest for Final Duel)
ROTJ Gammorean Guard
POTF Luke Stormtrooper with Short Legs
POTF Yakface

I am sure the evo sets will perform well, I was surprised to see them stop making them in the first place. I just wished the made the Emporeres skin pale grey on the rerelease.......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2007, 01:24 PM »
I think Hasbro sees value in the Evolutions 3-pack concept since it allows them to bring characters in from the PT as well as sources like the comics and video games and that is why Vintage as we have known it is probably over. If there was going to be a year where they made re-creations of the POTF figures with coins, this would have been the year since the regular figures had coins too.

I think everyone really wants to see Vintage style treatment given to PT Obi-Wan and Padme Amidala and the vehicle for those is the Evolutions sets.

I could see them releasing a small 10th Anniversary tribute to The Phantom Menace in 2009. It would be similar in concept to the vintage line, but again, not the same since we're not talking about making new Kenner style card-backs of TPM characters. In this case the "retro" aspect would be that we're given the figures on the Darth Maul red Episode 1 cardbacks. I could see a VERY nice wave consisting of:

Anakin Skywalker
Jar Jar Binks
Battle Droid (SA, sturdy and can completely fold up like in the MTT racks)
Senator Palpatine
Obi-Wan Kenobi (an Evolutions set of Obi-Wan would probably leave this figure out)
C-3PO
Padme Amidala (Final Battle on Naboo)
Watto

While I doubt such a collection would ever be created (I'm sure they'd insist on releasing Darth Maul YET AGAIN), it would definitely be nice.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 04:14 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 25, 2008, 04:21 PM »
I was just listening to the Star Wars Action News podcast, and at the 1:23:42 mark of the podcast they do their Hasbro Q and A sessions (they apparently had double this week).  The second question deals with the possibility of VOTC in 2009, and their answer gave some interesting news saying that they couldn't give exact news on the return of the VOTC line, but that when it does return it likely won't be called "VOTC" since it will likely encompass more than just the OTC.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #191 on: March 25, 2008, 04:49 PM »
Nice find Brian!
Personally, I do not get the appeal of PT characters on vintage style cards if they do in fact go that route down the road. Maybe I am a purest to this particular line but Vintage style releases should remain with vintage characters only. Just my opinion.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 25, 2008, 06:18 PM »
Nice find Brian!
Personally, I do not get the appeal of PT characters on vintage style cards if they do in fact go that route down the road. Maybe I am a purest to this particular line but Vintage style releases should remain with vintage characters only. Just my opinion.

I agree - it seams just silly to release, say for example, Darth Maul on a card-back that is done in the style to match the old Kenner cardbacks from the 70s and 80s.

I think if they do this, they should re-release the figures on Card Backs that look like the Phantom Menace figures from 1999. Granted it's only 10 years old, but that's an eternity in terms of toys so doing something like that might even bring out 20-somethings who played with TPM figures when they were a kid.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2008, 06:21 PM »
I could see it as a way of getting an SA ultimate version of an AOTC Obi-Wan without having to make an Evolutions pack.  Although I think it would be weird to put a PT figure in packaging that should be meant for remakes of vintage figures.

I think the popularity of the VOTC figures improved the quality of the basic line of figures....just look at Jesse's past reviews.  BTW, why no new reviews Jesse?  Yes I'm calling you out!   :D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 06:34 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2008, 08:05 AM »
Nice find Brian!

If they return to a vintage line, I agree - just redo vintage figs.  Personally, I think the quality of the basic figs has gone up the last few years, so I'd be fine with them just releasing new figs in these lines and saving a few bucks.   ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today