Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65608 times)

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #210 on: May 21, 2008, 03:50 PM »
There is no need for them on a Vintage style card back at a higher price!

Correct. They could put them out on a Vintage card for regular price. ;)
They should do like the are doing for the Joe line
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Ideas for new Vintage-style Star Wars Figures
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2009, 08:01 PM »
In this topic, we shall discuss what ideas we have for more vintage-style Star Wars figures.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for new Vintage-style Star Wars Figures
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Hmmm.  Ideally, I'd like to see a wave of 4 figures per movie.  But all of the core characters from ANH have been covered, and I think it could make for a weak wave.

STAR WARS
Death Squad Commander
Jawa
Walrusman (Ponda Baba)
Power Droid

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
Luke Skywalker - Hoth Battle Gear
Princess Leia Organa - Hoth Outfit
Han Solo - Bespin Gear
Imperial Commander

RETURN OF THE JEDI
The Emporer
AT-ST Driver
Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight
Nien Nunb

POWER OF THE FORCE
Han Solo in Carbonite
Lando Calrissian - General
Imperial Dignitary - Sim Aloo
Barada
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2009, 08:47 PM »
Simply put, any that have not been done, and no PT figures.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2009, 08:59 PM »
What if they made prequal figure on vintage cards as if that was the style when the movies first came out?

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2009, 09:44 PM »
STAR WARS

Death Squad Commander
Walrusman
Hammerhead
TIE Fighter Pilot

EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

Luke Skywalker - Hoth
Princess Leia - Hoth
Han Solo - Bespin
Zuckuss (the real Zuckuss, not 4-LOM)

RETURN OF THE JEDI

Admiral Ackbar
Nien Nunb
Rebel Commando
AT-ST Driver

POWER OF THE FORCE

Han Solo in Carbonite
General Lando Calrissian
Imperial Dignitary
Yakface

I also wouldn't mind seeing Grand Moff Tarkin in this format, even though he wasn't in the original vintage line.

NOTE: Although I doubt I'd be happy to see this line return, considering the basic figure price is insane enough. :-X
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 09:46 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Simply put, any that have not been done, and no PT figures.

Yes that's exactly what I mean.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2009, 11:29 PM »
For me, if they do these again, it should be to give us a reason to spend $10 - or more likely now, $12 or $13 - for a figure I can get for $7/8.  And the only reason I would care would be if they did figures that were not included in the original vintage line:

Tarkin
Wedge
Slave Leia
Any variety of droid
Han Solo Stormtrooper

The problem with this of course is that these aren't exactly home run figures.  And in most cases we have them or are getting them.  I would rather see them rest the VOTC concept, actually.  Not only does the price not make sense, it cannibalizes the basic line.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2009, 11:55 PM »
As an opener, no thanks.  I don't need to shell out another $3 or $5 for this.  And I think a lot of people feel this way too, considering how the last wave ended up on mass clearance except for the Snowtrooper.

I mean, who wants to pay $10 or $13 for a Jawa, when you can get one with a big WED droid for $7.46?  Paying more than that for a single little figure is just not something I'd go for.

But, if they were to put them on these cards at the regular figure price, sure.  But not at a premium price.  The basic figures are basically around VOTC quality these days anyway.

Offline stan

• Jedi Initiate
  • Choose Your Destiny!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 29, 2009, 01:43 PM »
Hasbro are seriously looking at it now. When (hopefully at the end of 2010) this does make a return; it will be at standard retail price.  All including the prequal will be in the black and silver format.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 29, 2009, 10:56 PM »
I'll go with Nicklab's list for sure.

Charge me a couple extra bucks for some OT Nostaligic goodness and keep the PT and CW out....

Sadly, I feel it is the only way we will get certain OT characters as Hasbro tries to push as much PT and CW stuff as they can (and rightfully so, they have a hit show to support)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 30, 2009, 02:21 AM »
Finish out the original 12 figures (the 12 backs, duh) and then I could give a rat's ass about what they produce because I doubt I'd be buying more. 

STAR WARS
TIE Fighter Pilot

Ok, I lied.  I'd give a rat's ass about a figure being released on a cardback it never came out on.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #222 on: March 30, 2009, 02:31 AM »
I'd rather not get charged extra, for any of this, as figures are too expensive now by my standards...  If they're regular/basic figure prices and just on spiffy cards (for whatever reason Hasbro would do this), I'm ok with almost any vintage figure that hasn't been done, and I'd be ok with seeing Endor Han resculpted actually (yeah, seriously). 

That said, the only weirdness I wouldn't mind is classic trilogy characters not seen in the line, but thought of/mocked up.  Fleet Trooper obviously, Tarkin, Dr. Evazan, Biggs, Wedge, and so forth.

But...  I really would rather not see any "premium" figure line again.  Evolutions rock, and I feel they're a better format overall.  The vintage figures were neat, but at this stage the basic line should deliver all the "premium" figure you need or deserve, as they're priced high enough to warrant nothing less to me at this point.  It's a dickjob when you get a figure lacking something in the basic line at this stage.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Yeah, it is tough for me to know what I want for the future of the VOTC/VTSC line.  Although they are probably my favorite overall "line" of figures in the modern era - with, for the most part, exceptions sculpts/articulation and the nifty vintage cardbacks - at the same time I echo the thoughts here of the prices being high enough already.  Plus, we pretty much get "VOTC quality" in the basic line at this point anyways.  Heck, the Obi-Wan from the latest TLC wave (which I think was slated for the Evolutions line), is a near perfect figure, and much better than the previous VOTC version.

If they made more (at least in the same format), I'd buy them - but I'd be ok with what the collection is at this point too.  Like others have said, we'd likely be looking at $13 figures (or more) with today's prices, and it is tough enough paying $8 for the basic line.  I'm just a sucker for the vintage cardbacks and look.  I'm not a carded collector, but that is one line that I picked up an extra carded set for just because they look nice all together I think.

It seems like Hasbro has mentioned in the past that if/when this line comes back it will likely contain all the movies, and will probably be a little bit different than what we are used to.  I think it has been discussed before, but the OT probably has enough "big guns" that haven't been hit yet (Hoth Luke, Bespin Han, etc.) that they could realistically get another one or two waves out of this concept and still have hopes of selling them at the higher prices.  Overall though, like I said I'd definitely pick them up - but if it ends with the group we have, that is ok too.  I always thought they would be a good format if/when the line starts drying up (which doesn't seem real likely now with the TV opportunities), and they went much more limited or online only.  I could picture something like the MOTU Classics line (except hopefully not as highly priced) where you could buy 3-4 VOTC styled figure each month from HTS.  It probably wouldn't be ideal for everyone, but I could see that sort of avenue for "premium" figures - which is what VOTC was originally supposed to be.  The same can be said for Evolutions, which sounds like it will also be "on hiatus" after this year.  I will say that Hasbro has really stepped up on the recent basic figures (at least for the most part) to the point where many of the figures are "vintage" quality now anyways.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2009, 10:31 AM »
Finish out the original 12 figures (the 12 backs, duh) and then I could give a rat's ass about what they produce because I doubt I'd be buying more. 

Same here. Even a re-release of the Stormtrooper.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."