Author Topic: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.  (Read 65630 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Let's discuss the future of the retro-vintage line.
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2009, 11:31 AM »
I heard that comment, as well as another response to a Q and A (it may have been on SWAN, I don't remember) that mentioned a way to "reinvigorate" collectors in 2010 (that would be shown at next year's Toy Fair).  It may be a leap, but I'm wondering if the Legacy-styled line might go to all "vintage style" cardbacks - to appeal to the "collector".  We've had the discussions before on whether or not prequel/EU characters should be on those cardbacks, and I'm still not sure how I feel - although I will say that the vintage cardbacks, with the nice big pic, are by far my favorite in the line's entire run.  Easy to spot what you're looking for, and nice and nostalgic as well.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2009, 11:42 AM »
I just hope if this line returns they get rid of the plastic cases that somehow cost an extra $5-6. ::)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Yeah, I don't see why they couldn't just use the G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary line as a model.  New, super articulated figures on a vintage-esque cardback.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13 PM »
While vintage style cards would be nicer looking on the shelves, it doesn't make much difference to me since I just tear open all the packaging anyway.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2009, 01:52 PM »
RTM Q&A - May 22nd, 2009 - RE: Vintage Death Squad Commander

QUESTION:   Are there plans to re-release the recent Death Star Trooper figure as a repaint of the vintage Death Squad Commander/Star Destroyer Commander figure?

ANSWER:  We are saving that one for a possible re-release should we ever relaunch the Vintage line. With the nostalgic package, it would make the most sense.

It's an "IF" if I ever saw one.  But a decent one for fans of the vintage Death Squad Commander.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2009, 02:12 PM »
I just hope if this line returns they get rid of the plastic cases that somehow cost an extra $5-6. ::)

Agreed. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51 PM »

Agreed. 

My only beef with that is consistency. The only extra figures I have packaged are every VOTC figure. I guess I can always open them and keep them carded to match. I have no interest in doubles of prequel figures but if that's what it takes to get this line out again I'm all for it. especially if we get the Ultimate editions for Prequel figures. Maybe just maybe we can get a blue Jango as opposed the purposely purple Evo Jango we have now when they had the correct color before. even my Brother commented on why Jango was purple, he is not even a SW fan.

VOTC cards would be 40 times better than the new packaging we have now.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2009, 06:49 PM »
Hell, as far as I'm concerned they can do a "Vintage Legends" line and reissue all the VOTC type figures without the clamshells for $7.49 or whatever, and have the rest of the realistic line follow suit at some point. 

Not that I care though, I'm an opener and always will be.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I think half of the reason they do the clamshells is to prevent theft.  They can't wrap and tape the bubbles to the cards for a vintage package the way they've been doing since ROTS hit a few years ago.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2009, 10:46 PM »
If there is no sticker mail away coupon theft should not be an issues this time round. If there is they can put it behind the figure in the blister.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I don't mean theft of the stickers, I mean of the whole figures.  Those little vintage-style bubbles pop right off.  You practically need the jaws of life to open a regular Saga figure.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2009, 12:48 AM »
If this is not seeing a pricehike, fine I guess.  I ultimately don't care...  Like CHEWIE said about the clamshell and things.  As it stands I think $7.50 is too damn much for SW figures, by a pretty big margin (I thought $6.99 was as well).  If they're doing $10 figures again, or more, then forget it.  I think I'll pass on anything but OT figures, and I'll buy those begrudgingly.

If it's $7.50 figures on retro cards, I'm fine with that.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2009, 01:16 AM »
You practically need the jaws of life to open a regular Saga figure.

Sure, but that doesn't seem to bother shoplifters, at least in my area. 
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17 AM »
RTM Q&A - May 22nd, 2009 - RE: Vintage Death Squad Commander

QUESTION:   Are there plans to re-release the recent Death Star Trooper figure as a repaint of the vintage Death Squad Commander/Star Destroyer Commander figure?

ANSWER:  We are saving that one for a possible re-release should we ever relaunch the Vintage line. With the nostalgic package, it would make the most sense.

I dunno. I'd be willing to bet that we could see this guy in a re-paint wave.

It's an "IF" if I ever saw one.  But a decent one for fans of the vintage Death Squad Commander.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:23 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2009, 02:20 PM »
I think expecting less than $10 for a retro card wave is a pipe dream, personally.  I absolutely agree it's too much, but that doesn't mean Hasbro won't do it.  They seem to love their extra lines being more costly than the standard figures.  Not to mention the default answer of "we don't control the price, that's a retailer decision."  Right.  ::)
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke