Author Topic: Favorite/Worst 12" Figure  (Read 9770 times)

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite/Worst 12" Figure
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2003, 03:28 AM »
man, gonna be hard but...

fave: ultimate jango...he just comes with so much stuff and the helmet sculpt is great. did take me a while to get his armor fixed (wish they would do a boba like this but with non-velcroed armor)...biker scout or endor luke would be close 2nd

worst: zam looked pretty bad (didn't buy her)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 03:32 AM by Sonderkommando »
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2003, 04:57 PM »
Best: 12" electronic Jango
Worst: toss up between 12" all-plastic anorexic Chewie & 12" Zam in French hooker likeness
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline jara19

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2003, 01:41 AM »
Best: Count Dooku or Bossk
Worst: 12" Chewy or any women 12" figure.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2006, 02:54 PM »
It seems funny to even post on a topic this old, but I was just going through my box of 12 inch figures. That first Yoda wasn't too bad, and IG-88 was great. My favorite is the combo of the Tauntaun and Wampa. I know the wampa is way fuzzy, but as far as big toys go, I like them both. I think I'll have to keep them out for a while, and watch empire.

Offline Clone Commander

• Jedi Padawan
  • I ate my Lama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 10:46 AM »
Favorite: Jango Fett(Eectronic)
Middle: Clone Trooper(Episode 2)
Worst: Clone Trooper (episode 3)

The clone troopers bodies cant exactly move that well, they're helmets look cartoonish especially the episode 3 clone.
Does anybody know if corrosion will happen to the electronic Jango Fett because of the batteries?
Clone Commander Appo.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2006, 02:06 PM »
Well as long as this thread has been pulled up from the dregs I may as well throw my two cents in,

While I love, love, love my POTJ IG-88, ...

I even made solid sterling silver struts to keep his legs extended.

I mean he rules and all, and is probably the best 12 incher ever put out by Hasblow, but the competition was never that fierce for best Hasbro 12 inch. 

It's odd The Marmit Stormtrooper has not come up in this thread, it's been around since 1999 and I have always had to say it was the best Star Wars 12 inch.  I'm a big fan of the Marmit Stormie - I bought four.

But, after having my Marmit Stormies standing around for six years in basically exact same pose, I found the Medicom Stormies to be a breath of fresh air, even if they do look a little small and their helmets are weird.

Medicom Stormtrooper, my pick for best out of the box 12 Inch, I mean they can do this:

Medicom Vader was a disappointment with his small stature.  If he was properly scaled he would win no question.  Look at him on his own, he's awesome:

But he is too small.

Sorry Medicom Vader.  You don't win.

But he is lightyears above my pick for worst 12 inch:

I'm only picking on this lump of crap over all the other atrocities Hasbro pooped out, because this one got by me.  I had it on display loose for like a year before I put it out of sight and eventually gave it to a five year old to play to death, stupid helmet, hockey gloves and all.

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Great post R5Don4!

Those medicom troopers do look great. I have never seen one in person.

Great job on 1G-88's legs too-

And now that you show Hasbro's ultimate 12 inch vader vs Medicom and Marmit, well, I think I'll bury mine a little deeper in the box.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Out of the ones that I have, I would say the best are:

Marmit: Boba Fett

Medicom: Vader

Hasbro: Count Dooku and Ultimate Jango are tied for first.

I broke this down into different brands because it's tough to compare across brands.  I just didn't think it was fair.

For the worst:

ROTS Anakin/Vader.  That thing's a [iece of crap and has never been removed from the box.  I keep it becsause it was the only item I picked up at Midnight Madness.

This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 01:15 AM »

Sorry Medicom Vader.  You don't win.

Best. Picture/Quote. Ever.

Made me laugh my ass off, which lately has been tough to do. Thanks, I needed that. I don't know which is funnier, Vader crying or the Stormtrooper consoling him... or the other Trooper looking on. You should enter that pic in some kind of photo contest or something.

Offline RichardTheBloody

• Jedi Initiate
  • I find your lack of pants...disturbing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 11:17 PM »
For me, Dooku is #1 for the best, out of the 12 inch that i have, opened and MOC. Best Likeness, Best Articulation (more or less the #41 clone of 12 inch bodies...best body EVER from hasbro) And it's Dooku! The guy is just cool IMO.

For articulation alone, i'd have to say Hoth Luke/Han/ ANY POTF "Action collection". Maybe i was spoiled by Saga Obiwan and Dooku, but i like ball jointed necks, or at least heads with a bit of a neck to them, instead of simply having the neckpost end on the body at the base of the skull. Heck even Dragon heads are better than that. For general Sculpt, I would have to give the nod to ROTS Lobster Claw Vader. Is he a Lord of the Sith, or a Goalie for the Edmonton Oilers? Saga Mace looks funky, but not in a good way...I'd just take his saber and give it to the Episode I version. In the "stupid ideas for 12 inch figures" category, ROTS Bariss Offee/Shaak Ti tie for first with their "empty boot glued to the leg" routine. That's my only gripe with them though...they're surprisingly well articulated. Pretty much a female version of the Dooku body (again, best 12 inch Body hasbro ever came out with...i think you'd have to go for a dragon body to do better, and even then the dragon body feels flimsier somehow, at least to me)
Sorry for the "War and Peace" version of my answer to a simple question :D

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 10:15 AM »
I stopped collecting the 12" line back when the Cantina band members came out, however, I did pick up the Dooku, because, IMO, he is one of the best Hasbro produced, despite this scale problem.

As for worst, I think the '96 Vader.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Best would have to be the Ultimate Jango from the first Saga collection. 

Worst honors definitely go to the pudgy Hasbro 12" Stormtrooper (1st release).  Horrible figure.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 06:55 PM »
I only own one 12" figure from Hasbro, the ROTS General Grievous.  I thought he looked great in the package and decided to put a birthday present gift certificate to use on it.

On the surface, he looks great - he looks more impressive than any of his 3 3/4" forms because of the increased scale.  However, he can't hold his lightsabers with his extremely flimsy fingers and his articulation is very frustrating.  It's very limited at the shoulders, which prevents you from doing poses you expect from an intimidating character like him.  As well, his forearms fall off easily because of the weak ball-joints at his elbows.  What should have been a great figure was only OK because of those major botches.

It's poor efforts like this one that prevented me from ever collecting the line.  I guess it's the best and worst figure.  ;)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #28 on: May 2, 2006, 03:38 AM »
I too was suckered in on the General Grievous. I was willing to buy all the figures Hasbro offered for ROTS, since there were, what, six total? I bought Grievous first, and while he looks awesome in the box, once you get him out, it just sucks.

I did some more research, and discovered the rest weren't really worth owning (though Shaak Ti and Barriss Offee might be purchased) especially the Ultimate Villain Darth Vader. I heard that was just a terrible piece.

Then I heard Sideshow got the license for 12" figures, and now I don't much care about Hasbro's line, though I'll probably get a few that I don't have.

Back to the point of the thread...
Favorite- Count Dooku. Why the rest of the line couldn't look this good is a crime. I can't believe this dude came out in the same series as...

Worst- Zam Wesell. I bought it just because I got it for $4, and I could have spent that on a pack of smokes and been better off.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #29 on: June 9, 2006, 01:27 PM »
Ooh, I love threads like this!  And R5Don4, I just LOVE your "boo-hoo" Medicom Vader photo.  Absoultely priceless! :D  By the way, where exactly are the silver pieces on your IG's legs?  'Fraid I'm having trouble seeing them...

Now, as for favorites and un-favorites.  I unfortunately don't own any of those excellent looking Marmit, Medicom, or Sideshow 12-inchers, mostly because they're expensive.  :(  I mainly get 12" figures for customizing purposes, so I find that the Hasbro ones are mostly all right for what I do.  So my choices for favorite and least favorite are with that in mind.

Favorites: It's hard to choose just one.  I too am fond of Shaak Ti and Barriss Offee for their wonderful outfits and the super-poseable (& very customizable) G. I. Jane body -- the lack of proper feet is a small price to pay.  The "girly girl" in me is partial to the Portrait Edition Amidala dolls with their sumptuous costumes -- sure, they lack articulation,  but fashion dolls don't really need articulation.  :) (Though when you get both in the same figure, as with the Jedi gals, that doesn't hurt!

I was pretty impressed with most of the bounty hunters, too (guess the one for whom I have a particular soft spot).  Though, as people point out, Dooku was really impressive too, wonderful outfit and the G.I. Joe body... As I said, choosing one fave isn't easy.  :D

Least favorites: Nothing new here.  Zam tops the list for me, too.  I had picked one up (on clearance, of course) thinking that I could improve her at some point, mostly by trasnferring some of her accoutrements to a new body, but even that's looking like it'll be a lost cause.  I wasn't super thrilled with the Saga 12" Padmé either, but I was able to improve her at least partially (here she is -- tho' she still needs work). 

... the Findswoman