Author Topic: Wow, NEW Star Wars FPS: Republic Commando  (Read 12294 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Wow, NEW Star Wars FPS: Republic Commando
« on: May 13, 2003, 07:07 PM »
http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/74.html

Check it out folks!

Republic Commando, a new FPS set to use the Unreal Engine is going to come out sometime in the near future...

A "Dark and realistic" combat experience.  Could the Tom Clancy clone game be a reality?

I sure as hell hope so!  This is easily my most anticipated game at this point!

For X-Box and PC (Glad I got a GC because I always would rather play stuff on PC, and everything for X-Box is on PC, haha).

Things look bright for gaming this year!  For me anyway...  This game sounds cool, and unlike past FPS gaming in the Star Wars universe...  Could be much MUCH more intense.  I'm giddy!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 02:07 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Wow, NEW Star Wars FPS: Republic Commando
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 08:10 PM »
This is awesome! For anyone who hasnt yet downloaded the movie in the link provided, do so right now! If the movie is anything like the game.... WOW! I can't decide what to do... I was gonna get a GameCube for the Rogue Squadron games... but now this thing is slated only for X-Box and PC... I doubt my Presario2100 laptop will be able to play this game... and I have no reason to believe this game will be compatible for us poor Mac users.  :-\ I'll be watching these developments very closely. Thanks for the scoop, Jesse!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 08:24 PM »
Excellent news indeed!  Can't wait!  The more PC games, the better, as I don't have any of the gaming consoles.  Now if I can just hurry my butt up and get a new computer that can actually run these games, I'll be in good shape!

Bummer that I can't watch the video clip though, since it's in Quicktime format.  The couple times I've downloaded Quicktime to my computer in the past, it pretty much ruined all of my multimedia programs...  Ain't goin' that route again.  I'll have to wait for the real thing I guess...   8)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 09:02 PM »
I just saw the trailer for this and I am drooling!  This game looks so awesome!  It instantly reminded me of the movie "Aliens," where the commandos are just entering the stranded building.  Unfortunately I don't have an X-Box, but I do have a sweet PC to play this game.  I would rather play this though on my PS2 (if it were available for it), because then I would be able to play this with my sweet surround sound entertainment system.  Oh well.  Can't get everything I want I guess.

Just wish this was being released sooner than Summer 2004.
dustrho

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 09:39 PM »
I'm an FPS fanatic, and IMO that (along with a few other game genres) are best played for PC, so obviously I'm ecstatic this is a PC title...

Ewok, I'm not sure about MAC availability, but if they made JO with a MAC port I wouldn't rule this out being made compatible as well.

I cannot download the trailer either Matt, don't feel bad...  QT's given me many an issue in the past as well, and my current QT is outdated I'd say (I just downloaded a blank screen).

I must play this game though...  I'm surprised they're running with a different gaming engine than Jedi Outcast and Academy are using, but that's fine by me as this game isn't going to have the sabre based combat, a nd the completely different engine means we're in for something possibly better than Outcast was...  Maybe not, but hopefully so.

I'm excited for sure, and can't wait!  Plus it was my first news post, whippee. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 08:16 PM »
ho-lee crap that looked amazing. put me down for 'yes please'. wow.
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 02:14 AM »
Well, the first screens of the game are up and running over at:  http://www.computerandvideogames.com and I'd say for now that they look pretty decent, though a bit gimmicky.

The game, as described in the site's brief review HERE is, "dramatic military-style action experience featuring brutally realistic Star Wars combat", which sounds just dandy to me!  I'd love a little brutally realistic combat in Star Wars since there's been very little of it aside from the X-Wing games and possibly the RTS's.

Shaping up to be a dandy idea at least, and using the Unreal engine it should prove to be decent in graphics and gameplay if tweaked right.

The story goes that you're a Republic Commando, but it makes no mention of clones...  Though the armor looks possibly similar, is it possible that you'll be playing as a sentient human within the Republic?  An individual soldier from their own military?  I hope so...  The thought of playing as a clone seems dull to me.  :(

It will keep the ARC trooper idea separate as well, as if the clones have thier own spec. ops units and such.

Anyway, cool stuff, no?

Thoughts?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 02:19 AM »
BTW,

Screen 1:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/openpic.php?name=..%2Fscreenshots_library%2Fdir_232%2Fvortal_pic_116043.jpg

(Bah, image one won't post, so just go there and you'll see it)

Not looking shabby there I guess there...  Though, take notice that the muzzle flash of the Republic troop rifles is near the trigger guard???  Secondary weapon in an over-under scheme (Set underneath the main/long upper barrel)?  

Also notice the confined "view" in the display...  Simulates wearing a helmet.  That could be irritating and I almost hope it's a feature you can remove by pressing a button, as I like to see the entire screen so I don't miss any pretty colors!

Screen 2:

Freaky...  A separatist alien of some sort?  Merc?  Just an ugly guy caught on a bad day?  

Not the most interesting screen but a good image.  I just hope we get more info on this soon.  

It's due out for PC, and X-Box so far...  So there ya have it.  
« Last Edit: January 14, 2004, 02:21 AM by Jesse James »

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2004, 04:05 PM »
I've finally been bitten by the bug for this game.  8) They're now saying there will be Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, and CTF multiplayer modes. This is a godsend for me. Who's up for some teamplay this fall?  :)

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2004, 01:43 AM »
 :)Oh I am so looking foward to this game coming out. Every time I see thew screenshots, I think it sucks it's not out yet, plus I am a huge fan of FPS's.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 01:45 AM »
I'm a big FPS gamer too Jasper...

This is shaping up to be nice, if not a bit odd compared to what we know of the Clones and such.

The view's goiong to be weird though.  i can't get past the view....  Realistic, but I just hope I adjust to it.

Should be fun, but I STILL want a tactical FPS game based in the classic trilogy...

After a new flight sim in the classic or post ROTJ era that is!  :)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Yea the more I see this, and the more I see SWBattlefield, the more I think I'll choose Republic Commando. I'm a huge tactical realism gamer (in Call of Duty I play in servers where the speed, weapons, fall damage, etc, has been adjusted to be completely realistic), and so I'm with Jesse... I want to be a Rebel Fleet Trooper or a Hoth trooper, REALLY bad.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 01:38 PM »
I meant to say Battlefront, oops.

By the way - One of my big complaints about Commando so far is that it seems way too EU'ish for me. Too many trandoshans and crap - if I buy this I will probably be downloading skins to replace all the EU people with your standard Geonosians, Battledroids, and maybe even humans.

I bet someone will make a skin pack to change the Republic Commando's to Stormies, and the enemies to various Rebels/civilians/bounty.

Offline JasperFett

• Youngling
  • I am a mighty mandalorian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 3, 2004, 02:56 AM »
Every time I see this game, I just drool. It's looks so awesome and just cannot wait to get my hands on it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2005, 08:57 AM »
Check the main page here at Jedi Defender guys...

New Republic Commando movies at Yahoo Games.  Links on the main page.

REALLY great stuff in the videos.  I mean, they took squad-based FPS's and improved them.  That's a good game, so let's hope this takes off.  I could stand "Alliance Commando" and "Imperial COmmando" as well as a nice Merc/Pirate version too...  These look great.