Author Topic: The Office  (Read 66038 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: The Office
« Reply #315 on: May 18, 2009, 01:58 PM »
There have been some hit and miss episodes the last few weeks.  Overall this was a decent season of The Office IMO.  The season finale wasn't one of my more favorite, but the week before was pretty good.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 18, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Was it ever really explained why Dwights friend was at the picnic?  He doesn't work at DM, and every company picnic I've ever been to was limited to actual employees of that company...  I was doing laundry, so I missed a few minutes here and there, just don't know if Dwights' sidekick (not Mose) was ever explained.
I am not the Stig

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 18, 2009, 04:02 PM »
I'm not sure it was explained other than that he was Dwight's friend.  Maybe he was Dwight's +1?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #318 on: May 20, 2009, 12:40 PM »
Was it ever really explained why Dwights friend was at the picnic?  He doesn't work at DM, and every company picnic I've ever been to was limited to actual employees of that company...  I was doing laundry, so I missed a few minutes here and there, just don't know if Dwights' sidekick (not Mose) was ever explained.

He was a plot device to get Dwight and Angela back together next season.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41 AM »
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/04/29/steve-carell-leave-office-year-report-says/?test=faces

I guess we can bump this up after almost a year.  I wonder if this will kill the show or NBC will find some way to keep it going.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #320 on: April 29, 2010, 01:02 PM »
Much like Cheers and Friends etc...the show ends at the altar...there have been some funny moments this season but the formula is tired and Michael can only be so inept to the point that how can he still possibly have a job anymore inpetitude.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 29, 2010, 01:18 PM »
I'd just hate to see the show go.  It's one of about three shows I make sure to watch religiously.  I felt the show is going back to it's roots since Jim got moved back to a salesman and now has the ongoing banter with Dwight again.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 30, 2010, 08:03 AM »
Michael makes the show hard to wath sometimes.  It's almost uncomfortable at times to watch.  But, without Carell, I don't think the show would be as good as it has been.

But, maybe it's just a preemptive strike on the payroll negotiations.

E...

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 30, 2010, 11:13 AM »
He is over the top painful at times.  And I'm surprised the character hasn't accidentally killed himself yet.  Still can be a damn funny show.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 30, 2010, 11:14 AM »
The Office has been one of our favorite shows since it began, and I'd hate to see it go as well.  At the same time, although there have been some funny moments this season, it doesn't seem to be quite up to the levels of the last few seasons.  I think if Carrell indeed was leaving after next year, it would be a good time to just wrap the show up.  They, of course, probably won't do that and the show won't be nearly as good because of it.  There are a lot of shows these days that although I still watch them and enjoy them, I'd sort of like to see them end "on a high note".

This happened last year with the show Scrubs.  I don't know if anyone watches/watched, but they had a great finale that was designed as a "series finale", but then ABC picked up the show so they ran a sort of "spin off" with a couple of the same cast but mostly new characters (and the same name).  It was mildly amusing, but just not "Scrubs" to me.  Anyways, on a more positive note, if anyone is looking for a good comedy to check out - give a watch to Modern Family on ABC (Wednesday nights).  Probably one of the funniest shows on TV right now I think.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 30, 2010, 11:37 AM »
Good points about Carrell.  I too would like to see it go on a high note, but just hate the idea of not watching it weekly just because it's one of the few shows I actually care about.

Modern Family is hilarious.  I don't usually DVR it, but will watch an episode here or there if I've got time.  The Middle is pretty good.  I think to understand that one best you need to have grown up in a big family.  I did, being the oldest of 4, so some of the events really hit close to home and I can really relate to them.

Embrace the suck.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Sounds like Steve Carell is definitely done after the upcoming season (Season 7).  As much as we love the show, I almost wish they would just wrap it up when he leaves...and leave it on a high note.  I guess I've seen more than a few of our favorite shows hang on a little too long, that I'd almost rather it would wrap up while it is still on top.  Of course, it won't, and probably can/will go another few seasons.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2010, 02:46 PM »
Wrapping it up would probably be for the best unless Ricky Gervais decided to bring his old character back from the British version.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2011, 12:58 PM »
What up, Office thread?  Been a while.

Scoop! The Office's Big Goodbye Is Sooner Than You Think

Just when you thought you’d heard everything about The Office‘s farewell storyline for Steve Carell (and thus Michael Scott), this bit of news comes bounding in: Carell’s final appearance on the beloved NBC comedy will air well before this season itself ends.

“Steve is leaving earlier than the [season finale],” reveals executive producer Greg Daniels, who expects to pen Carell’s swan song himself. Specifically, he says, “The big ‘Goodbye, Steve’ thing will be before [May] sweeps.”

Given the timing of Carell’s exit, what will the final weeks of this season then be about? “Our basic plan,” Daniels says, “is to see the jockeying and interviewing [for Michael's job], and not have that happen off-camera and suddenly present America with the choice. We’d rather play out the stories of the various characters who want that seat, and show them fight for it.”

“It’s kind of a fun situation,” Daniels says, “and the chaos is creatively exciting.” As longtime Office viewers can attest, “Whenever something with big stakes happens, it leads to good episodes — and we will have a lot of significant things happening.”

On hand to select Michael’s successor will be Kathy Bates, reprising her role of Jo Bennett, the country-fried CEO of Dunder-Mifflin’s parent company, Sabre. (Bates already has completed filming the first season of NBC’s Harry’s Law, which debuts January 17.) “We’re going to play out the whole [replacement] process in a realistic way,” says Daniels. “And it’s always great to have Kathy here.”

The outcome of the interview process will feed the season finale, which is tentatively set to run an hour. The extra time may very well be needed to showcase not just the reveal of the new boss but the various employees’ reactions to whomever he or she is. “They’re all different people with strong personalities,” Daniels notes, “so they each have a lot invested in who’s their new boss.”

Have no clue who they're gonna go with to replace Michael.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Kind of sad to here he's leaving sooner, but it does set up the interview process which should be entertaining.  BTW, if they are interviewing for his position AFTER he leaves, does that mean he leaves rather suddenly?  I hope they don't kill him off.

Todd Packer?  (or is it Packard?)

Dwight is going to want the power, but probably would be passed over.

Jim's best at being the reasonable one without the power to fix anything.

Darrell?  Is clearly competent enough to manage (he was the warehouse foreman since before the show started..)

The gangly guy from Saber, I can't recall his name...

Anyone else from the regular show cast that would obviously want the job and would actually be in a position to be considered?  Clearly they are going to have some non-regulars interviewing as well.
I am not the Stig