Author Topic: The Office  (Read 65828 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Office
« Reply #345 on: April 23, 2011, 01:14 AM »
Gotta say the Will Ferrell episodes have not bowled me over...also gotta say I think next week will be really good.  I got a little teary eyed just watching the previews.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 23, 2011, 09:09 AM »
I agree.  However, he did have a couple of funny moments this week.

"Wow, he's running at an all out sprint."

"Can you tell me how long this is going to take?  I've got some decisions to make."
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #347 on: July 6, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Dunder Mifflin's new CEO, Robert California:

Done deal! James Spader joins 'The Office'

It’s official: The employees of Dunder Mifflin are getting a new CEO and his name is Robert California.

James Spader’s ultra-confident and sexually charged character featured briefly in the NBC hit’s May finale is set to join the cast of the show’s upcoming eighth season, NBC confirmed.

“James will reprise his role as Robert California, this uber-salesman that has a power to convince and manipulate, like a high-class weirdo Jedi warrior,” said Paul Lieberstein, one of the series’ executive producers and a series regular. “He’ll have been hired over the summer as the new manager, but within hours, got himself promoted. Within days, he took over the company. James has an energy that is completely his own, and The Office has no tools for dealing with this guy. We’re thrilled he’s joining our cast.”

NBC is set to announce the hire, adding a new well-known actor to the ensemble series that saw the departure of its biggest star, Steve Carell, this season, and will also say goodbye to recurring performer Kathy Bates as well. Bates played the company’s CEO last season, though Spader’s character is expected to have a greater presence on the show. EW first broke the news of Spader in talks for the part a CEO role week ago.

I like Kathy Bates as an actress, but I hated her character and I'm glad to see her gone.  This is a good change--makes the show much more interesting.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 7, 2011, 11:38 AM »
I'm actually on board with this. Outside of that dreadful Boston Legal show, I've enjoyed Spader's body of work to this point. And he was definitely the most interesting of the characters they rotated through for the finale.

Although Will Arnett would have been great too if he could have channeled a little more of his Todd Margaret character. That **** was brilliant.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 7, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I stopped watching The Office about half-way through last season and I actually don't miss it.  I thought I would, but, eh.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #350 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05 AM »
Remember when people here actually gave a **** about The Office?

Remember when the people that made The Office actually gave a **** about The Office?

Series finale tonight.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 16, 2013, 09:20 AM »
I will be tuned in to celebrate its demise for sure. SO happy this show is ending, it has not been very good since Carrell left. Not bad enough to force me to stop watching, but it's been an effort to keep up this 10 season committment, especially lately.

There are plenty of problems you can point to, but in general I think they fell into the Seinfeld trap where the characters intially seemed quirky and amusing but gradually over time became pretty loathsome and unappealing. A lot of the early sweetness of the show was replaced by cynicism and snark. Everyone began back-stabbing, sleeping around, etc. Even the heart and soul of the show, Jim & Pam, both became pretty unlikeable this season after all their contrived marital drama. (Note to Hollywood writers - people outside of Hollywood actually enjoy happy marriages, they're not all embittered and self-absorbed as you seem to be fixated on)

I liked Dwight as a hapless dweeb that was annoying but constantly tormented as Jim. I liked Ryan as the quiet, nerdy intern. And I liked Andy and Erin as Jim/Pam II. (Sorry Plop, you were too handsome and unfunny to ever warm up to)

Anyway, they had a good run. A lot of high moments...Michael burning his foot in bed on the George Foreman grill will always be a classic.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2013, 09:35 AM »
I will be tuned in to celebrate its demise for sure. SO happy this show is ending, it has not been very good since Carrell left. Not bad enough to force me to stop watching, but it's been an effort to keep up this 10 season committment, especially lately.

I agree with you that it hasn't been as good since Carrell left but I do think this last season was one of the better ones in a long time.  The revenge of Packer, Work Bus, Lice...it was prett even and better than the last few seasons for sure.

The worst thing to happen to the show is what they have done with Andy.  I hate his character and what he has become.  So much so that I dreaded him coming back this year.  There is nothing redeeming or funny about him. 

With 30 Rock and The Office ending there isn't much I will watch each week any more.  Modern Family is still on our DVR list but it is getting a little stale.  Lots of great memories and hope it is a good one tonight.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2013, 10:47 AM »
Andy always was an annoying douche.  Even back when Jim first met him.  They tried to grow him a bit, but it seems like he sort of reverted and fell apart.

I've read about the "happy ending" and it just pisses me off.  Some people don't deserve happy endings.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 16, 2013, 11:21 AM »
Although I agree that it hasn't been the same since Steve Carrell left, but I'm still kind of sad it is ending.  We will definitely be tuning in tonight, and I hope it has a great send off.  I agree, it is probably time for it to go, but it is always a little sad when one of your all time favorites closes shop.  Like Scott said, I thought this season was actually a little better - and probably the best of the post-Michael seasons.  Overall, one of my all time favorite shows.  It was one of those that my wife and I have an extra attachment to because we tuned in from the very first airing of the first episode - before all the hype began after it.  Also the fact that we were working in an Office (not all that different) at the time, it was just perfect.  Anyways, one of my all time favorite shows, and although it is probably time, I'm still a little sad about it.

It is also a little depressing as a sitcom fan, that we've been losing so much over the past few years, particularly favorites of mine.  Scrubs a couple years ago, now the Office and 30 Rock, things are getting sort of slim.  Big fan of Parks and Rec (which is returning), as well as Modern Family and the Big Bang Theory but it seems to drop off a bit after that.  We also watch Community, which is supposed to be back maybe mid-season next year.  We've always watched How I Met Your Mother, but that is another show that I think should have wrapped things up a couple seasons ago.  Anyways, back on topic, looking forward to tonight's big finale and retrospective.  We've been going through and watching the past seasons on DVD the past few weeks - so much funny :).

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 16, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Wow, I feel like an ahole now for badmouthing the show earlier. That was ones of the best series finales I have ever seen. I'm a sucker for happy endings though. Carrell's cameo was awesome, not overdone. Creed's backstory was epic. Even the shmaltzy stuff was well done. (Yay Erin!) A very fitting send off for a show that had a great run.

Ain't no party like a Scranton party!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 17, 2013, 08:58 AM »
Great finale.  The only thing I would have changed was that line Michael Scott delivered about his children getting married.  It was really funny, but it would have been so awesome if the only thing you hear his character say in the final episode was "That's what she said!"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #357 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24 AM »
Agreed that this was really well done, again the only negative me was the whole Andy crap.  Loved the Michael stuff, a tear went down my cheek when he showed up.  Creed's song was great and it was a really good way to end the show.