Author Topic: UGP Customiser Challenge #1 : Proto Rebels  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
UGP Customiser Challenge #1 : Proto Rebels
« on: October 2, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Hey guys, I know this is a day late in getting up, but Im starting a UGP only version of the Customiser Challenge to coincide with the CCC In the other boards.

The theme for this one will be Proto Rebels. Around the time that our project takes place, the Rebellion wasn't quite what it would become. There were small pocket cells with little or no organisation. They would harrass the Empire at every turn, but nothing on the scale that they would during the OTC era.

Now is your chance to design these Rebellion forefathers. Now that I have thrown down the gauntlet, lets see what we can come up with. ;)

As with the previous project, let your imagination run wild. Humans and especially aliens will work well with this, seeing how the bigoted Empire made their lives completely miserable.

You have your assingnents, lets see what damage we can do.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: October 2, 2006, 07:28 PM by Darth_Ennis »

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: UGP Customiser Challenge #1 : Proto Rebels
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2006, 06:25 PM »
Hmmmm....

no questions, comments, insults or dirty jokes anywhere on this thread.

I must be losing my touch. :-\

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2006, 09:00 PM »
No one tells jokes since the fungi incident.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 5, 2006, 03:21 PM »
This sounds great, Scott! I'll get busy on mine. What's the due date?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 5, 2006, 11:55 PM »
No one tells jokes since the fungi incident.

;DLOL ;D

Funny!

Phruby, the due date will be at the end of the month ( ish ;)) as usual.I just got a big old bag full of stuff from GTG and Im stoked. ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Ok, chop-chop! 

This is a good idea Ennis.  I think that something somewhat similar to a Rebel Fleet Trooper might be a good idea as those are the first uniform Rebels that we are familiar with in the films.  Since this planet setting is before ANH, something somewhat similar might be a good starting point. 

But I kind of like the thought process that these Rebels might have somewhat differnet uniforms from one another (kind of like Confederates in the Civil War) where they don't always wear a standard uniform as at this point they may be more of a hit and run type of operation, aren't too organized and may not even be "officially recognized" by the Empire yet.

Looking at figures that are currently available is sometimes the best way to try and go about these challenges.

I am leaning towards thinking that whoever wins this might want to be resonsible for all the Rebels, so they look somewhat consistent.  If one design wins and 10 different people try and emulate the style, it just might not look right?

:)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 10:06 PM »
I'd tend to agree, but what if the winner doesn't have the time, or worse yet, the money to do up a squad of these folk?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:07 PM by PenDragon »

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:36 PM »
Yeah, say if someone like me (def. not me, although I have a Rebel mercenary in the works) gets picked as the winner, there's no way that they'll be able to do that many Rebels. No money, no time, lol...
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 10:39 PM »
I'd tend to agree, but what if the winner doesn't have the time, or worse yet, the money to do up a squad of these folk?

That is another reason I'd like to see modern era rebels as opposed to the early era fighters. It will save a significant ammount of time if we can use premade Hasbro Rebels, with a few headswaps. Like the new Endor Rebels for example. We could throw a few customs in there for variety. And we are already going to have a Police force we need to make a bunch of.

I hate to say it but it seems that with the exception of the core folks involved in this project interst seems to be wanning a bit, so with that in mind we are going to need to do what we can in order to save time.

If proto rebels is still the route everyone wants to take then I think we need to split up the labor and just try to get everyone's entries as close to each other as possible.
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I never intended for all the rebels to look the same. That is why I stated that they would not be the organised army that they were during the OT era. I stated that there would be little or no organization, hence no uniforms.

That is why I called them Proto Rebels.

Maybe I didn't make that clear, and for that I apologise.

I was hoping to include them all in the project if possible.

I really didn't expect a big turnout, but I was at least hoping that SOMEONE would participate.

Sometimes I really don't know why I bother. :(

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I never intended for all the rebels to look the same. That is why I stated that they would not be the organised army that they were during the OT era. I stated that there would be little or no organization, hence no uniforms....

This makes a bit more sense to me - That way we can all participate & feel more like we're each a part of the project.... But that's just my opinion.  :-\

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 07:33 PM »

I really didn't expect a big turnout, but I was at least hoping that SOMEONE would participate.

Sometimes I really don't know why I bother. :(

Oh I still intend to participate. I started piecing some stuff together last night but haven't quite found a combo I like yet. I'm going for a real backwater look that an unorganized or underground resistance fighters would have, similar to something you would see on Firefly or Battlestar Galactica.

It makes more sense now that I know you are on the same page and don't want a uniform look to them.
"This is the way."

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Why not a mix of modern rebs Riekan jordona or madine hoth/tantive iv/endor types that are recruiting backwater French resistance/IRA types.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:13 PM »
I am not sure how much I would want for any of them to have a Hoth look to them but that's just me.

Maybe the Naboo Wave Yellow guard would be a good base for some of them.  Repainting that figure in gray with some sort of helmet might look cool.  I think that before too long that figure will be very easy to get.

The reason I said I thought it might be best to hand this to one person was to avoid several people trying to make the same figure and getting different color variations of it.  But I guess that's not too big of a deal since these Rebels aren't very organized yet.   I was probably comparing it too much to the Security Forces - which I don't think a "winner" was ever chosen (or did I miss it?).  For the Security Forces I may be in the minority but I definitely think that that should be taken care of by a single person or a small group.  In fact I have another design in mind for it but it's probably way too late.

:P

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 08:09 AM »
I am not sure how much I would want for any of them to have a Hoth look to them but that's just me.

Maybe the Naboo Wave Yellow guard would be a good base for some of them.  Repainting that figure in gray with some sort of helmet might look cool.  I think that before too long that figure will be very easy to get...

...For the Security Forces I may be in the minority but I definitely think that that should be taken care of by a single person or a small group....

You got some dern good points there... Hoth seems kinda climate-specific, the naboo guy (with a new head) is a great generic base, and the sec-forces should be uniform, or they wouldn't be a good, field-able sec-force...

In fact I have another design in mind for it but it's probably way too late.
If there's no "winner" yet, (and, heck, even if there is) I don't think any of us would mind seeing your take on the subject ;)