Author Topic: Target Exclusive Order 66 2-Packs  (Read 74714 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Order 66 2-Packs
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2007, 03:03 PM »
The earth isn't going to stop revolving because I'm spending $83 to buy 6 two-packs of little plastic men.... is it?  :-\

I can't honestly answer that without meeting your wife first.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2007, 03:05 PM »

It's marketing, that's all.  Give the collectors nice packaging, a 'new' (and I use the term loosely) clone and watch them sell.

They do it all the time - and will continue to do it until it stops working.

Why include two nice figures when you'll sell through with just one?

That's right.  I'm starting to view this more as an illness, honest to God.  Personally, I was cured around 2000.  I used to be a completist for 3 3/4" figures and vehicles.  As soon as vehicles were being reboxed in different packaging, I was cured.  

When you're buying the same figures over and over and over and over again, especially ****** ones, that's obsessive compulsive.  You gotta ask yourself, do I really like this?  Is this worth it?  Why do I want this?  And why do I want this figure that's obviously subpar in triplicate or more?

New basic figures, especially well articulated ones, movie figures, I'm all over it.  But there comes a point with repaints, repacks, rehashes etc. that you just have to physically look at the cash in your hand that you're handing over for this stuff, that you already have mind you, and realize what the hell you're doing.  This is why I say that typically only about 50-70% of the wave is purchasable these days.  That will change with 30 AC basic figures, most are new.  Most are good.

I'm not calling anyone out, I'm not insulting anyone, but my personal opinion is that it's kinda an obsessive compulsive disorder.  And an expensive one.  Everyone's free to collect the way they want, and I'm free to talk about what I think about it.  Even when JesseVader wants to place my posts inside my ass  ;)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:09 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2007, 04:15 PM »
And I agree.

It is an illness - you're not sane if you buy the same figure over and over on a different cardback.

No offense to anyone that does it (I'm guilty)... :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Hmm, horrible Jedi figures (that I've already been forced to buy to get other cool items) combined with some repainted clones. I'm only buying AOTC era clones from now on (or new ROTS clones that were actually in the film) so these are big passes for me.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2007, 08:02 PM »

I'm not calling anyone out, I'm not insulting anyone, but my personal opinion is that it's kinda an obsessive compulsive disorder.  And an expensive one.  Everyone's free to collect the way they want, and I'm free to talk about what I think about it.  Even when JesseVader wants to place my posts inside my ass  ;)

Point taken, now I'm off to preorder mine.  :-*

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2007, 08:05 PM »
PASS, PASS, PASS, Hasbro kiss my @$$!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2007, 08:19 PM »
ill pick up 2 of windus for the marines 2 of obi's for the at-at and probably 3-4 if I'm able to find for the blue airborne trooper since hes my favorite clone. Hasbro's gonna be taking a huge chuck of money out of my wallet this year since there coming out with all the new clones and the new Stormie's since there my fav. Hasbro you smart mother F**ck r's  ::)
Momar and Fester

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2007, 08:44 PM »
I'm gonna be honest here, and say I agree with you in some part that collecting figures in a 2-pack like this where there's one you want (not everyone's cup of tea mind you, but a lot of people actually LIKE the idea of these clones that aren't on-screen...  I do.), and one you don't want, can be viewed as a screwjob...  Then again, $7 figures are a screwjob...  $10 figures are a bigger screwjob...  At least in my point of view where I get SA military figures for $5.  There's definitely an element of unhappiness there even on my end.

That said, I think Jesse's point is it's NOBODY's right to criticize people for how they collect, what they like...  And by our rules, questioning people's sanity in their face, and criticizing them repeatedly for what they want to buy isn't going to be tolerated.  That's not gonna fly around our boards.

I'm being up front about this, honest...  I don't think it's fair to label people anything because you think their collecting habits are wrong and yours are right...  So the short of it is that we don't want to see it on the boards anymore. 

Now, I'm with you DR on SA figures, new sculpts, good resculpts of figures that deserve, all that jazz...  You know that about me I'm sure.  I'm sure EVERYONE knows that about me.  But a lot of us actually think these clones are kind of cool...  Some of us liked Mace's battlepack...  I dug the white AT-RT Driver in the tin set...  Am I happy about $13 for a Jedi I don't want?  No,but at the same time I'm going to give most of those away as gifts to kids I know who like these toys and would appreciate those figures...  It works out for me because I found a way to make it work out for me (at least in my heart, if not my wallet).

On the bright side, Target's known for seeing their stuff hit clearance if it's not priced right or it's a bad mix of stuff...  Case-in-point the Snowspeeder which wasn't a bad deal but still saw massive clearance.  Hell it even offered a "new" figure.  So I think people will see these hit clearance...  I could be wrong, god knows that, but I think it's the safer bet honestly.

The fact anything hits clearance actually impacts the future of these "ideas" more than how we react...  This idea was in the coffer a while ago and is out now...  Target will buy and flub up maybe by buying too much, and they may say to themselves that they're making a mistake somewhere along the lines with these exclusives.

I mean, of the Final 22 I have seen, the non-movie Clones are some of the lesser selling figures (and the straight repacks), so I think there is a voice out there getting the point across that non-movie stuff isn't going to be quite as hot...  This concept Hasbro has of repainting anything any way, definitely has a shelf life, unlike re-releasing SA Stormtroopers, E2 White Clones, or 501st SA Troopers or some such.

Anyway though I droned on some...  To sum up what my original point is though, how you collect is your business but it's not cool to take frustrations out on our boards against how others collect...  No labeling, no borderline namecalling, and all that stuff...  Leave it go, and just dislike the clone repaints and don't buy 'em and all that...  That's cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Obi/ AT-RT & Anakin/ Airborne only.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2007, 07:01 PM »
I like the choice of Anakin with the Airborne 501st Trooper.  I wonder if this Anakin will have the Sith eyes variation?

As for the others?  Not crazy about the Obi-Wan & AT-RT Driver.  The choice of Obi-Wan is weak, but it probably has something to do with the factory producing these sets or Hasbro wanting to mix up the Obi-Wan's they're putting out.  The AT-RT Driver just doesn't look good in these markings.  As for Mace & the Galactic Marine, I'd prefer the new Mace Windu in this set.  But I think Hasbro nixed that idea since it would probably lead to decreased sales of the new Basic Mace Windu.  The Galactic Marine is cool though.

I'm hopeful for the other three sets, but I'm also realistic.  I'd like to see a better Emporer, but I doubt we're going to get one.  At least in this format.

If anything, I think that the exclusive completist in me is going to lead me to buy these.  I've passed on some regular issue items, but I almost never pass on the exclusives. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 07:03 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2007, 09:39 AM »
And word or speculation on who 1, 3 and 6 will include?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2007, 10:20 AM »
And word or speculation on who 1, 3 and 6 will include?

Yes.  All can be found earlier in the thread...  ;)

The other three were:

Yoda and Kashyyyk Trooper (Green)
Emperor and Shock Commander (Red)
Darth Vader and Commander Bow (Black)

You can see pics of the clones in this image...

The other three,

Regular Clone painted in Camo for Kaskyyyk Trooper
Clone Commander painted as Shock Trooper Commander
Clone Commander painted as Commander Bow (the one with the black skirt)

And here's the larger blow-up pic that's been going around...

Commander Bow, Kashhyyk Clone, Shock Commander
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2007, 10:55 AM »
Oh no, it just occured to me that the shock trooper commander is actually the evolutions clone.  Lose the kama and shoulder pauldron and we have a removable helmet shock trooper.  I might push the limits of logic and have to get that one.  I'm sure the emperor figure will be the crappy Wave 1 EIII figure though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Good eye DR, I think you're right on that.  I haven't decided what I'll do with these packs yet, but I'll definitely get the Shock commander one regardless.  I always liked those troops, and if we get a removable helmet version, that's even better.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2007, 11:15 AM »
Good eye DR, I think you're right on that.  I haven't decided what I'll do with these packs yet, but I'll definitely get the Shock commander one regardless.  I always liked those troops, and if we get a removable helmet version, that's even better.

Once you take the kama off, there was a waist belt included with the evo version that you could snap on instead of the kama.  I doubt we're gonna get that with this figure though, unfortunately.