Author Topic: OK, what the.... (Nexu!?)  (Read 4830 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
OK, what the.... (Nexu!?)
« on: June 2, 2003, 12:09 AM »
....hell happened to my Nexu!?

I went today to just look at it, and this is literally one of the first times I've picked this figure up since I bought it.  It's sat upon my shelf with the other 2 Arena beasts since purchasing.  I was gonna test the sounds since I hadn't removed the batteries and what not.

Well, what do I find?  My Nexu has CRACKED in several areas along the bellie...  Not just one small crack, I'm talking FULL cracks to the point the body is separating.  

I unscrew the battery compartment and see the spring inside the battery slot is forcing the body apart in the back, but it doesn't explain why there's cracks at the leg joints as well that are completely separating.

I've not done ANY playing with this figure at all.  It was basically bought and set upon a shelf, and this if the first real "handling" it's seen in a long time.  Needless to say I'm royally pi$$ed off right now at Hasbro.

Now I'm out my Nexu and this is unfortunate as that figure has completely dried up in my area.  

And of course, god knows Hasbro wouldn't replace this if asked.

It's a shame because I really liked this figure at one point, but now my opinion is 10x lower...  There's no excuse for a toy crumbling before your eyes.  What's really sad is that it happened just from sitting on my stand...  

No rough play (no play at all), no handling, no extreme temperatures, no direct sunlight...  Nothing.  And the toy just fell apart...

Yikes.  :(  What a piece of junk!

It makes me wonder if this is an isolated incident or if others have experienced this?  Hmmmmm....
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: OK, what the.... (Nexu!?)
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2003, 12:17 AM »
Bummer... I haven't had any problems with my Nexu, I wonder if this has happeneder to anyone else?

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2003, 12:26 AM »
That's really strange.  Just checked out my loose Nexu which has been untouched on a shelf for over a year.  It looks perfectly fine.  Maybe it's just a strange isolated incident with yours Jesse.  Or maybe you had a young cousin come over and knock the thing off the shelf or something, unbeknownst to you?  No idea really.  Bummer!   :(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2003, 02:34 AM »
Mine's in good shape too Jesse.  Maybe you just got some kind of strange dud there...

I'll pick you up a new one though, and ship it with the ST droids (hopefully soon)!   ;)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2003, 09:34 AM »
THE TOY GODS are displeased with you, JesseJames.
You have broken the Opener's Creed: Play, then display.
Had you followed this sacred toy covenant, you would not be in such dire straits.
[/size]

(Let that be a lesson to all you other openers!)
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2003, 10:41 AM »
Hmmmm, the Toy Gods are angry lately.  I wonder if they have something to do with the weak distribution?   We need to all play with our loose figures and toys more often.  

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Jesse, my Nexu is still tucked away in it's packaging so I don't know if there's any major damage like your Nexu has.  That is sad news to hear about it just falling apart on you.  Make sure you give it a proper burial if need be.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2003, 12:28 PM »
Could make a dead Nexu custom or something....  :-\

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2003, 12:45 PM »
Yeah you could have the Reek standing over the dead Nexu in triumph.  

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2003, 03:03 PM »
I just checked, and my Nexu is fine, though to be truthful my nephew did get a lot of play out of him before he went on permanent display; that "toy gods" theory might be right! ;)

Your story was awfully familiar to me though, Jesse. A few years ago in the process of moving I was packing up all my POTF2 that had been on display since I'd gotten 'em. Lo and behold, when I picked up Monkey-Face Leia, her back had shattered and the figure fell apart through the torso. No playing with it, no touching for nearly 3 years, then <pffffffft!>

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2003, 04:35 PM »
A few years ago in the process of moving I was packing up all my POTF2 that had been on display since I'd gotten 'em. Lo and behold, when I picked up Monkey-Face Leia, her back had shattered and the figure fell apart through the torso. No playing with it, no touching for nearly 3 years, then <pffffffft!>

LOL, my cousins monkey leia had an accident also. the head jsut came off. in one piece out of the socket, the neck peg intact and everything. its crazy.

just checked, and my nexu is fine. i suggest getting a new one, be it ebay or a scalper site. hehe, happy hunting. if i come across oen though i'll give you a heads up, as all i ever see is older stuff.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2003, 05:16 PM »
My Nexu is also in good shape, Jesse.  Sorry to hear about yours.  I would be very upset.   >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2003, 05:57 PM »
Bah, why should the toy gods be any different than any other god!?  :)

Toy Gods or not though, all I can say is Andy (Or any other Hasbro employee) are lucky they weren't in the near vicinity...  Or else they'd have needed the aid of a proctologist to retrieve the broken Nexu from themselves.

Stupid Nexu...  :(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: June 2, 2003, 06:09 PM »
...if i come across oen though i'll give you a heads up, as all i ever see is older stuff.

Don't sweat it Dime.  I already snagged one for Jesse this morning for a measely $5.99, and have a Star Tours package going out to him pretty soon that I'll just be including it in.  But thanks for looking out for your fellow collectors!  That'll bring you good toy karma!   8)  But if you want to track down a cheap Ep. 1 Battle Amidala for me, by all means - knock yourself out!   ;D
- Matt

P.S.  I like the customized dead Nexu idea too!  I'm sure Jesse can make it work quite nicely!

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2003, 09:14 PM »
I'm supprised to find that many folks don't know that it makes 2 different roars.  It depends if you huld the activator buttom or just tap it.
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist