Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583381 times)

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: How long has that damned RS been down?
« Reply #1740 on: August 17, 2005, 03:49 PM »
CEREAL!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

Ah....shades of Shakk-Ti.. memories....

I have posted at all three (JD,GH & RS) and have always enjoyed the more mature postings found at 2 of the 3.  And I agree with JM above...RS has just become a posting station with no salient topics.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 17, 2005, 03:52 PM »
Like "what's your favorite cereal?"   :D

How about "What's your favorite Star Wars promotional item from a cereal offer over the years?"

Mine would be Han in Stormtrooper gear.

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: August 17, 2005, 04:13 PM »
LOL! CLOSED! HAHAHA! I hope that brings everyone from there to here! That would be teh awesome!!!!

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #1743 on: August 17, 2005, 04:30 PM »
Does anyone go to TFN anymore?  Honestly, I've been to that site maybe twice since PW took it over and overhauled the entire thing.  I think it's ugly and hard to read.  It used to be my number 1 stop for SW news that didn't relate to collecting.  Now, worthless.

I'm honestly saddened by what's happened to TFN. Love it or hate it, it was an institution in fandom. I've done my share of TFN bashing over the years, but now it's been completely castrated--a glorified portal--partly due to Hyperspace cutting the legs out from under the spoiler "business". It's just depressing to see the "new" site. :'(

Lack of content aside, their new layout is ugly as sin. It used to be beautiful from a web design standpoint. Visually it was extremely clean and easy to read, and the navigation layout was pure, clear, and simple to use. And IMHO that layout was strangely integral to the whole TFN Mystique--they'd had it since at least TPM (when I first started visiting). Then they went and cocked it up by making it all cluttered and convoluted. It really felt like the end of an era, the last-nail-in-the-coffin type thing.  :'(

Their JC forums haven't changed much though, and I still visit them from time to time.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 17, 2005, 04:43 PM »
I laughed out loud when I checked out the so called RS store. Where you can get your SW figure cases with the RS logo embossed on the back. Now can I ask is there anyone besides GNT who would actually buy these?
I remember my dream now.

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 17, 2005, 05:21 PM »
RS has had a few technical difficulties, and there is a 5 page thread here.
Pretty good for a webisite that so many people hate. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1746 on: August 17, 2005, 05:29 PM »
I always figured it was TFN, RS, then maybe GH, Sir Steves after which JD and the other guys would fall into line.

I wasn't counting TFN, since that's not technically a "collecting" site, not to mention it's also owned (and abused) by Philip Wise.

But yeah, statistically, we've been the second most active collecting forums behind only RS for over a year now, by a pretty decent amount too.  So that's a big part of the reason we never understand why you often talk about how slow it is here, Josh...  ;)

RS has had a few technical difficulties, and there is a 5 page thread here.
Pretty good for a webisite that so many people hate. 

We may all hate it, but we still enjoy talking about it.  Especially since most of us originally came from there (or from CSW prior to the merge), and still harbor some anomosity towards what Philip has done to a once great community.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 05:32 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #1747 on: August 17, 2005, 07:15 PM »
But yeah, statistically, we've been the second most active collecting forums behind only RS for over a year now, by a pretty decent amount too.  So that's a big part of the reason we never understand why you often talk about how slow it is here, Josh...

I stand corrected.

Where do you guys get these stats anyway?  Google Fights?
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1748 on: August 17, 2005, 07:20 PM »
We keep track ;)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1749 on: August 17, 2005, 07:26 PM »
I think it's great that some other "quality" posters from RS are finding there way here...even if it's because of RS technical difficulties.  I hope they stay.  I also hope the Matkatnadams and others of his ilk stay away from this site.  :-*

I also know a few of the Colorado folks are starting to frequent the store reports section and are pleasantly suprised by the registered member feature.  I think that will keep them here.  (Good folks all of them and hope to make, or host, the next barbecue).  ;D

As far as the vintage, I try to contribute what I can there (as I did in my CSW/BHC/RS days), but it's tough since I really haven't collected vintage since I was a kid...back when that's all there was!  :o
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1750 on: August 17, 2005, 07:57 PM »
But yes, I'll agree that RS has got a great vintage community, and some good quality posters in the Other Collectibles and Props sections, which should go without saying, since that's where the money is, and it's usually the "older" folks who have the disposable income to dabble in such collectibles.

I do actually like Mark Hurray, who does 'Scum's Q & A though.  I've chatted with him on several occasions, and he's good people.  As for GH, yep, we definitely like those guys over there, and never question their news either.  We usually try to have JD/GH get-togethers whenever there's a convention in town that we're both frequenting.

Yeah, but what do you think about those ******** over at http://CreatureCantina.com ?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1751 on: August 17, 2005, 08:04 PM »
Yeah, but what do you think about those ******** over at http://CreatureCantina.com ?

CreatureCantina.com sucks!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1752 on: August 17, 2005, 08:15 PM »

I think you already covered it - ********, every last one of 'em.  Especially that Cable clown who drew a giant dildo coming out of my Rocket Fett on an otherwise cool collecting t-shirt.  >:(

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 17, 2005, 09:49 PM »
Good to see Greg's butt back over here too!  One of the few original JD invitees that didn't stick around as much as we'd hoped...  ;)

Haha!  Thanks for the kind words- I've always loved you guys, it has been mostly time constraints that kept me posting on only one site.  But I swear this time I'll hang around and contribute more!  Good to be back!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 17, 2005, 11:01 PM »
I laughed out loud when I checked out the so called RS store.

Isn't the RS store also known as "The Main Page?"   ;D

I mean, honestly, the advertising on the front page beats the actual "news" (which as today's "cancellation" of the Clone 3 packs has shown, is often dubious at best) by a pretty good ratio, and the site has become increasingly hard to navigate as there is no logical structure to it.  And even once you get into the photo archive it takes it forever to load due to the 50 million ads that keep loading on the right side of the page.  It reminds me of the billboards in sports stadiums surrounding the Jumbo-Tron, except in RS's case, the Jumbo-Tron is a 10 inch black and white television.

One of the more telling things I've noticed about them is that they never really crowed about the Clone 4 packs or the Astromech 5 packs from EE.  Now, granted, there isn't a lot to crow about due to the price, and my feelings about one Mr. Pawlus are fairly known amongst some of the staff here, but it's almost as if because the House of Wise had nothing to do with the conceptualization of these items, they won't promote them because another site had some hand in them.  Does EE even sponsor RS anymore?

I exercise my (rather pointless) right to protest by not visiting that site.  I have clicked through before because someone in these forums posted a link to a story or photo there, but as for regular visits on my own, I quit going there a long time ago.  Wise is an *******, a large number of the forum members (excluding the Vintage guys) have a median age of 6, and if I wanted 5000 replies of "me too LOL" I'd go to a teen chatroom on Britney Spears or whatever the hell it is that kids are into these days.  Sock hops?

In conclusion, I'd just like to say that the only reason that need be given from this point on (and the only one I will give to save you all from my pointless ramblings after 2 hours sleep in the last three days), is this:

QUALITY > QUANTITY

:P