Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581233 times)

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Collectors Collections (at RS)
« Reply #1800 on: September 19, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Totally agree! Not to sound snobby, but some of the stuff they display with pride is the same stuff that end ups in my garbage. :-\

Example:

He has some nice stuff, but he surounds it with junk like empty bottles, bottle caps, cans, and those LAME Burger King crowns!

I also hate it when people put their ugly mugs in the pics. :-X

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1801 on: September 19, 2005, 03:25 PM »
I don't see what's wrong with that above pic.

I don't see how Burger King crowns can be called lame when most of us own the first POTF2 figures.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1802 on: September 19, 2005, 03:34 PM »
I actually like how he's got all the stuff displayed.  I also won't complain about having stuff like the empty cups and Burger King crowns in his collection.  Some people like to collect that stuff.

If I were to post pictures of my collection most of it would be in large rubbermaid bins.   :-[
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1803 on: September 19, 2005, 03:36 PM »
That's how mine would look too. I envy these people for having all that room for their stuff.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 19, 2005, 03:37 PM »
There is no right or wrong way to collect.  
But there is a right and wrong way to display.  Even small collections can look nice if displayed properly.  

My main problem with the RS feature is there's not enough vintage representing.   8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 19, 2005, 04:35 PM »
That one pictured is in the top 5% compared to most of the stuff they show on that site.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 19, 2005, 04:41 PM »
If any of you guys want to see your collections displayed on our front page, just pm or email me and let me know where to find some pics (or email them to me) and I will be more than happy to post them. We tried to do this a while back and had no takers... maybe now is a better time to try?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #1807 on: September 19, 2005, 04:41 PM »
That's right Rob.

Alot of the stuff is usually about 5-10 modern figures, with most of the figures being recent releases. And then maybe one packaged figure in the background.

Wow! This collection consists of Lott Dodd, Hangar Duel Anakin, ROTS Mon Mothma, a Neimoidian Warrior and...holy ****...a Bespin guard!!! Wow! There's even a POTF2 stormtrooper! Stop the Press!!!
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 19, 2005, 04:44 PM »
If any of you guys want to see your collections displayed on our front page, just pm or email me and let me know where to find some pics (or email them to me) and I will be more than happy to post them. We tried to do this a while back and had no takers... maybe now is a better time to try?

Maybe when I finish my Jabba's palace coffee table! ;)

The point though, is not to belittle people with less-than-dazzling collections. Like I said, we were all there at one point or another, and the more people joining the hobby, the better. The point is that RS is basically celebrating mediocrity (as usual). When I click on a link on the front page of a Star Wars collecting website there should be something noteworthy and interesting. Not something that looks like the loose contents of the clearance section at TRU.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1809 on: September 19, 2005, 04:55 PM »
is anyone else consistently (and severely) underwhelmed by the collections that RS constantly shows on its front page?

I had a similar thought to yours when I saw this guy's collection featured on the main page a few weeks ago...

Azad Firat's "collection"

I guess it must be hard to be a collector in Turkey... but hey - different strokes for different folks I guess.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 04:59 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 19, 2005, 05:04 PM »
I have to chime in here, and I certainly don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I don't see the problem with any of the photos that RS or any other sites show of someone's collection.  Not everyone can afford a huge collection of rare items, and even the people that have such collections with such items are often unable to display them, either for time, space, or money reasons. 

In my view, which seems to go right along with yours Lando, someone who has just started collecting and/or displaying the stuff with ROTS has just as much right to show their collection as someone who has been collecting since 1977.  I'm not going to judge someone's collection based on what they have vs. what they don't have, how old the stuff is or isn't, or the dollar value attached to it.  Some of my favorite pieces in my collection that I am most proud of are things that the majority of people would think are worthless and better in the garbage, but I like them and that's all that matters. 

Every one of us started somewhere, with a very small collection, and if someone with a small collection wants to show photos of their stuff, that's all well and good to me.  My problem with the situation is that most of the time, those photos and/or ads for some overpriced etailer are the vast majority of that other site's content on the front page.  I don't see anything wrong with showing off your collection, regardless of the size, but when that's 90 percent of your "news", then I think it's the site with a problem instead of the collector.

No disrespect intended to anyone whose opinion differs so far in this thread, but a Burger King crown might be as special to someone as a Master Replicas Vader lightsaber prop to someone else.  It's all a matter of personal taste.   :-\

« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:10 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: September 19, 2005, 05:05 PM »
is anyone else consistently (and severely) underwhelmed by the collections that RS constantly shows on its front page?

I had a similar thought to yours when I saw this guy's collection featured on the main page a few weeks ago...

Azad Firat's "collection"

I guess it must be hard to be a collector in Turkey... but hey - different strokes for different folks I guess.

LOL! I love the peeled off stickers!

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 19, 2005, 05:13 PM »
http://www.rebelscum.com/c-cheong.asp

How is that a collection? There's, like, 10 figures there and they're all closeups. Why doesn't RS have a policy regarding what kind of pics are taken? For example, I've seena  few people who took pictures of everything they own and RS posted all of them!

Here's a great collection, but what kind of idiot buys acrylic cases for every crappy POTF2 figure?? Philip Wise... That's who!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 19, 2005, 05:23 PM »

Here's a great collection, but what kind of idiot buys acrylic cases for every crappy POTF2 figure?? Philip Wise... That's who!

I can't help but wonder if his ROTS figures are stored in those AWESOME custom Rebelscum Protecto-pak StarCase things?  ;D

Additional Comedy Request: Can someone photoshop a Greg(gggggg) statue into one corner of the room so we can have "conclusive proof" of Lord Philip's shrine to GNT?  ;)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 19, 2005, 05:35 PM »
I have to chime in here, and I certainly don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I don't see the problem with any of the photos that RS or any other sites show of someone's collection.  Not everyone can afford a huge collection of rare items, and even the people that have such collections with such items are often unable to display them, either for time, space, or money reasons. 

In my view, which seems to go right along with yours Lando, someone who has just started collecting and/or displaying the stuff with ROTS has just as much right to show their collection as someone who has been collecting since 1977.  I'm not going to judge someone's collection based on what they have vs. what they don't have, how old the stuff is or isn't, or the dollar value attached to it.  Some of my favorite pieces in my collection that I am most proud of are things that the majority of people would think are worthless and better in the garbage, but I like them and that's all that matters. 

Every one of us started somewhere, with a very small collection, and if someone with a small collection wants to show photos of their stuff, that's all well and good to me.  My problem with the situation is that most of the time, those photos and/or ads for some overpriced etailer are the vast majority of that other site's content on the front page.  I don't see anything wrong with showing off your collection, regardless of the size, but when that's 90 percent of your "news", then I think it's the site with a problem instead of the collector.

No disrespect intended to anyone whose opinion differs so far in this thread, but a Burger King crown might be as special to someone as a Master Replicas Vader lightsaber prop to someone else.  It's all a matter of personal taste.   :-\

I understand what you're saying DoctorPadawan, but my point is that this should not be front page news. I like what we have here on JD, where there's a section of the forums devoted to this. I'm all for encouraging people who just started, but when I have a couple minutes during work to check on some collecting news, I don't need to wade through endless collectors' collections pics to find something interesting.

It seems as though you should be a little impressed when you click on a front page story. I'm sorry if it sounds elitist, and I'm well aware that there are people that have larger collectons than me...personally, I'd like to see them.

I think the great thing about showcasing the collections of other collectors is when their stuff is displayed in a unique way. Daigo-Bah and CHEWIE, for instance, both create lots of small dioramas that their figures are displayed in. I've seen pics of CHEWIE's display room. I'd love to see some pics of Daigo-Bah's display room. Anyone can take a bunch of stuff and cram it into an IKEA shelf. Not everyone can set up their figures in a way that shows some creativity, devotion and, frankly, experience with the hobby.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 05:37 PM by LandotheScoundrel »