Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581221 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
RE: EVERYTHING REBELSCUM
« Reply #3465 on: March 19, 2007, 12:53 AM »
Nothing I forgot Lady Jaye, I remember you letting me know, but suffice it to say we weren't ignorant that Scott's old buddy was the lead hunter in the midst of all that mess a while back.  We'd already discussed him before you'd let me know.  We were having a good laugh about it all at the time, but still were irked considering the time guys like JediMAC had put in at the site there making it better through solid trading and stuff.

On the issue of the swearing policy I personally agree with it...

Their rule is to swear only as far as the film's went, if I recall that right, which is fine.  That rule makes sense...  People have been circumventing their language filter for years just for ***** and giggles.  They know the word they're going to use will show as *'s and so they do what's stated in that new rule.  That one makes sense to me.

The caps in a thread title though...  That's just going off the deep end.  I'd heard it pertaining to some kind of conspiracy against GG on the site and things, but I don't know what that was all about since I'm not privy to what goes on there generally.  I just know that whole caps thread title rule thing is really funny to me.  It seemed like Philip was having a bad day, and freaked.  I could be wrong though. 

I agree though, bigger isn't always better...  Truer words have never been spoken when you're talking about forums.  Traffic's good of course, but it ultimately ruins the community from within I believe.  That's usually the case it seems, at least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #3466 on: March 19, 2007, 02:23 AM »
Crossed paths with Jeremy? He seemed like a well-balanced admin when I was at RS, but it's been 2 years since I had my account deleted there and I could be wrong. It was either him or Dustin who was closing and deleting all my Forum Feedback threads, I forget now. Oh well, I like it here much better and never plan on going back over to RS.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:39 AM by Jediknight760071 »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3467 on: March 19, 2007, 08:26 AM »
P.S.     ass

I'm gonna get you for that... son.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41 AM »
The only thing that keeps me from not posting there anymore (or baiting for a ban) is the classifieds.  Now that I'm done selling all my modern stuff and the few more things I need for my vintage collection will eventually pop up on eBay, it's probably time to quietly retire from there.

I've been bitching for weeks since I started posting there again about the tree-stump personality of 99% of the members there.  And it's not just noobs and kids either.  People who have been registered for months and years still post the same old garbage threads about movies and TV shows over and over in the Wuher's section.

The problem that PW and the other mods are running into is that they've banned everybody with personality and intelligence, which they seem to see as some sort of threat.  I can definitely see why mods like GNT and Tommy_T would, considering the wildly stimulating caliber of their posts.  But now they're seriously reaping the problems involved with banning interesting members in favor of the dullards they might have insulted (and rightfully so).

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3469 on: March 19, 2007, 09:45 AM »
The problem that PW and the other mods are running into is that they've banned everybody with personality and intelligence...

HEY!  I haven't been banned...   :P
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: March 19, 2007, 09:50 AM »
The problem that PW and the other mods are running into is that they've banned everybody with personality and intelligence...

Probably because Creature Cantina sucks!
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: March 19, 2007, 03:53 PM »

Neither have I.  Come to think of it, neither has Dressel, Norga Rotem, etc.  I smell vast right wing conspiracy here  >:(

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: March 19, 2007, 04:20 PM »
I'm not banned from there, but was at one time for about an hour when all the bannings began.  They didn't like that I promoted JD over there and Dustin thought I was a staff member here. 

They still have a good group of people in their customizing sections though.  Some turds of course because of their level of traffic, but I still enjoy the custom boards there as a whole.

:P

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #3473 on: March 19, 2007, 07:59 PM »

Neither have I.  Come to think of it, neither has Dressel, Norga Rotem, etc.  I smell vast right wing conspiracy here  >:(

Not quite.  I'm neither a right winger nor am I "dull" and I'm still kicking around over there. ;)

Truth is, while many of the most interesting characters on that site have outgrown it and left, either for this place...or for GH....I'm not sure that really affected the site.  It affected the community when good people left it, but the site still has the same strengths and weaknesses it's always had.  The only difference is the people that made it what it was so many years ago have now been replaced by kids who never got to experience those times.  Unfortunatley for them, they don't realize it used to be a haven from scalpers and a community where people actually cared about each other's opinions (rather than just glossing over dozens of pages to post their own 2 cents).

It's incredibly fast moving now, but I'm not sure how much of that traffic is actual decent conversation.  A lot of it is "Me too" kind of stuff.  For example...every time a Sideshow toy goes on sale at RS, we have 40 page threads of people saying "Got mine, that was easy".  No one's actually talking to each other in those threads, and there are so many.

Where are the heated debates about figures?  Brown coat Han anyone?  ;D
They're still there...but they move so fast and change faces so much, they're hard to keep up with.

So, was there ever really a "Golden Age"?  I think RS is like SNL.  People talk about it like it used to be so much better, but the fact is....because it's the biggest collecting site out there, it's pretty much always been plagued with the same problems.  It's also always had the same great things going for it. I may look fondly back on the "old days", but I think it's still good now.

They've improved the quality of the Collector's engine, they have more photos of new stuff than ever, they have more con coverage than any other site out there....and now they're covering other toy lines too.  Sure, not all those ideas are original, but what on the internet IS these days?

On the bad side, they still have the noobs, the trolls and all those other things that a big site like that attracts. It seems the scalpers are making a comeback because there's a lack of good moderation right now.   I believe all these problems are simply because they don't have the one thing they need:  More mods.  Good ones too, not just cherry picking the people with the highest post counts.  The reason they don't have more moderators is because the staff is too disconnected from the community to be picking out the members that would be good candidates.

JD has great mods.  If traffic jumped to RS levels, I'd like to believe this place would add volunteer moderators to keep up with it out of the huge stable of cool people here.  That's the one thing RS has never really done....and that's why they continually have the same problems.

I still love em though. ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3474 on: March 20, 2007, 12:17 AM »
Truth is, while many of the most interesting characters on that site have outgrown it and left, either for this place...or for GH....I'm not sure that really affected the site.  It affected the community when good people left it, but the site still has the same strengths and weaknesses it's always had.  The only difference is the people that made it what it was so many years ago have now been replaced by kids who never got to experience those times.  Unfortunatley for them, they don't realize it used to be a haven from scalpers and a community where people actually cared about each other's opinions (rather than just glossing over dozens of pages to post their own 2 cents).

It's incredibly fast moving now, but I'm not sure how much of that traffic is actual decent conversation.  A lot of it is "Me too" kind of stuff.  For example...every time a Sideshow toy goes on sale at RS, we have 40 page threads of people saying "Got mine, that was easy".  No one's actually talking to each other in those threads, and there are so many.

Dude...it amazes me that you can sum up almost every reason why the site has gone to hell, and not admit that the site has gone to hell.   ::)

I don't go over there anymore, and hearing what has happened to those boards in the past two years or so is a damn shame.  I loved posting on those boards back when they were still the Bounty Hunter's Collective, and stayed on after the "merge", but when all that crap happened to the JD staff, and the deleting posts that were critical of what was going on over there...hell, all that seems tame in comparison to all the scalping and flame wars that plague the place because the "staff" does not care as long as traffice goes to that site.

BTW, I think the Carded vs Loose debate was just as heated (if not more so) than the brown vs blue coat on Hoth Han debate.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3475 on: March 20, 2007, 12:36 AM »
Now our Con coverage is sub par too.

It's dumb stuff like this that makes me want to finally get out of this dead hobby.

L.O.L.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 12:37 AM by Chris »

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: March 20, 2007, 01:15 AM »
P.S.     ass

I'm gonna get you for that... son.

What? Don't play me, I know there's nothing but love between us.

EDIT: Please don't delete me. :-*
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 01:15 AM by Jediknight760071 »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3477 on: March 20, 2007, 01:18 AM »
Dude...it amazes me that you can sum up almost every reason why the site has gone to hell, and not admit that the site has gone to hell.   ::)

Yes, JoshEEE is playing Devil's advocate about something.

Shocking.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: March 20, 2007, 09:22 AM »
But only in Wuher's Cantina.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #3479 on: March 20, 2007, 11:43 AM »

Yes, JoshEEE is playing Devil's advocate about something.

Shocking.

What can I say?  I like RS.  It's still my favorite collecting site.   When I see fellow collectors harshing on it, I usually throw the 2 cents in.

Got Clones?