Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583229 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Rebel scum mods are gone!
« Reply #1005 on: January 8, 2005, 11:26 AM »
As a matter of fact he PM'd me about something I was selling, showing interest, and never got back to me...  I hate when people do **** like that.

>:(

:-[

Sorry Jesse

For what Dave?   ???  You didn't do something did you?

Yeah, I was asking you about those 12" figures you had for sale and then kinda forgot about it   :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Rebel scum mods are gone!
« Reply #1006 on: January 8, 2005, 06:32 PM »
I knew where we stood Dave, no worries. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
This...This is Stupid
« Reply #1007 on: February 24, 2005, 10:35 PM »
I know site politics are pretty moronic and the wars between sites can be beyond stupid.  But, being I'm sort of out the game now, I think I can say this story over at Rebelscum is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read in the 10 years of SW Collecting Site history

http://www.rebelscum.com/article.asp?i=89831

Places like GH and Sandtroopers have had these pics up for 2-3 weeks now.  I see no benefit in asking for this and it makes your site look like a bunch of whiney kids who can't get the latest goods.  Wow ::)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: This...This is Stupid
« Reply #1008 on: February 24, 2005, 10:59 PM »
I saw that earlyer today, and I thought "Yeah, cause I'm gonna be in the store, finding toys that some people would give an arm for, and think "Gee, I bet Rebelscum could sure use these."

So sad.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 24, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Here's a novel idea - WAIT FOR APRIL 2ND!

Wait, isn't Phil registering for wedding gifts with Greg(g) that day?

Words cannot describe how stupid this is. ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 11:09 PM by Diddly »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 24, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Not to get off on another RS/Wise-bashing tangent, as he's never done anything to me personally, but RS has always come across as the "company shill" on the majority of stuff Hasbro does.  I can't remember the last time that they haven't bent over backwards to say how great Hasbro is and how every single product is "wonderful" or "long awaited" and how Hasbro is "really listening to the collectors."

There were two really telling occurrences recently though that finally drove the nail into RS.com's coffin as far as I was concerned:

1-A few weeks ago, there was an article on some website (I'm sure someone here can point it out) that talked about the relationship between LFL and the SW fansite community, and how other franchises (most notably Peter Jackson's LOTR camp) had embraced fan sites while LFL seemed to keep them at arm's length.  T'Bone from starwarz.com was great as always, and was eloquent in his commentary on the relationship (or lack thereof) between LFL and fansites.  Then they bring in our buddy Philip, who said (and I'm paraphrasing):

"I guess we picked the wrong franchise to back (referring to SW over LOTR, I guess).  TheOneRing.net took their design and aesthetic from TFN."

Wise also made allusions to being "important" and how he should be treated as such and not dismissed by LFL.  Basically, his comments came across as "I should be treated as a god, even though I am basing my fandom on how important I am perceived rather than actual actions, and I'm jealous of the other sites that do things a lot better than I do."  At least that's how I read them.

2-Notice how RS.com hasn't really mentioned the Clone Trooper 4 packs from EE since they were first announced?  I wonder if that has to do with the fact that another site was partially behind getting the set made and certain site owners were jealous that they didn't have a hand in this?  And it's like that with everything: RS swore up and down that they would not post leaked photos from ROTS toys and whatnot, but when JD.com, GH.com, Sandtroopers, TheJawa, Yakface, etc started showing them and leaving RS in the dust, what do they do?  They crank them out faster than you can say "I'm only in it for the money!"

I'm not a big fan of people who think that because they run a website (and don't even have a hand in the updating of said site unless they need to get their personal point across), they are somehow "more important" or a "bigger fan" than other people.  We're all fans (or we are all supposedly fans), and we should do things to help each other out; not use their sites to shill for companies so they can make a buck off the fans (as in PW's autograph group he started up a few years ago).  His little "Backed the wrong franchise" comment just reinforces the fact that he is not a true SW fan (there I go judging again) and is, truly, only in it for the money and his own inflated ego.

Mods, feel free to delete this post if it's too inflammatory.  The last thing I want is to play a part in starting a war on the internet.  :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1011 on: February 25, 2005, 01:19 PM »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 25, 2005, 01:42 PM »
What do they mean "If you get one for traid bait, it's considered scalping." No, I get one for traid bait to help myself and others out.

Good lord.

Is Philip gonna be at the Convention? I'd honestly like to discuss his logic behind that.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 25, 2005, 02:44 PM »
I take that comment on scalping as very funny, considering the man is charging other "fans" exhorbitant prices to have one of the actors write their names on something, and then only if it's something that he authorizes them to sign.   ::)

Here I was under the impression that the Celebration(s) were all about the fan community and having fun, but apparently, it's still all about the almighty dollar to Mr. Wise.  Famine, if you do see him, be sure to ask him about this, as (at least personally) I find charging money for people's autographs to be a form of scalping in its own way.  Certainly more of a "scalping" action than buying two of something for trade bait.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1014 on: February 25, 2005, 02:59 PM »
Do What I Say, Not What I Do

From Philip:
Actually, if you bought one of these just for trade bait, we call that scalping around these parts.

Just because you move the currency from money to the bust, doesn't make it any less scalping than selling it for more than you paid for it right now.

The whole point behind trying to reduce scalping is to not buy something unless it's for your collection. Any other purpose potentially drives the price up for somebody else because you stole his ability to buy it for the same price you did.

I found this response in that thread to be the best of the bunch.  No idea why...   ;)

Wow.

So Philip, when my friends up in Canada, or elsewhere around the country/world, ask me to find a few figures at retail for them since they've never been available in their area, you're telling me by doing so I'm aiding the scalping market? Not helping fellow Star Wars collectors, but rather just helping scalpers? That's certainly an interesting, and skewed, perspective. I can guarantee you that A LOT of Star Wars collectors around the world do NOT share your point of view there... If I don't help fellow collectors out with figures at retail cost, won't they have to resort to scalpers? Man, I'm confused. I must've had it backwards all these years.

Essentially, you're now of the opinion that we can't HELP eachother out, since buying stuff for your buddies collections (and not your own) "potentially drives the price up for somebody else because you stole his ability to buy it for the same price you did.". I guess you better shut down your trading and classifieds boards here then. They're obviously a wretched hive of scalper assisting villainy.

Mind boggling, seriously.

And now they're pulling a complete 180 there at RS, and asking their "community" to go out and buy up any ROTS extras they can get their hands on, and send it in to RS?!?  ******' ridiculous...

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 25, 2005, 07:39 PM »
Like most of you I think that is stuipid especially when Phillip has complined in the past about taking extras for trade or sale in the future.  As someone else mention Philip also is one to talk about sale stuff when its his company that is going to run the Auto's at C3 (I wonder if he will change its name to C3 Ventures).

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 25, 2005, 08:47 PM »
I'm sure some of you think of me as the RS ambassador here on JD, and I will admit that when I read the story I thought it was a good idea.....

But now that I've thought about it...I think you are all right...What a dumb idea.

Imagine yourself at the store....by some miracle, you've got Episode 3 figures in front of you (a 5 dollar bill in your unarmed wallet) and your thinking Coruscant Guard and Bail Organa, or Philip Wise.

Ehhhhhhhhhh.......You choose.

:)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 25, 2005, 10:51 PM »
If I find something early, I'll open them and post pics here.   :)

:P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1018 on: February 26, 2005, 12:22 AM »
I just think Phil's panties are in a bunch because nobody wants to trade with him.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Infamy Of Crete

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Mellars
« Reply #1019 on: February 26, 2005, 12:07 PM »

I'm certainly not an fan and have had my share of encounter so I'm not the most unbiased person to speak. The reason why I visit JD and GH is because of the community these site have built.  There are many here who beyond talking about sci fi hotties and society &  politics threads offer a wealth of knowledge in the collecting community.

RS over the years has seemed to turn from a collective community one that I had turned to for it's host of great talent,  filled with a number of indivduals with a wealth of knowledge to a deviant subculture in the starwars universe. It is the premier example of people who lose focus. I understand that it is costly to run a website for fans I would hope through hit counts and advertisers they make some money to  cover the expenses,but to profit off of me and then ask me to do the work you once vigiantly and feverishly did  to bring me, the collector, the latest news, I find tremendously pathetic. 

If I were an adminstrator of a website I would be asking myself why I'm not being sent information maybe this is a larger by product of what the community thinks of me and my site. Maybe the reason I'm on top is because it's reallly only in my mind and nowhere else.

I have some really good collecting buddies who choose to stay with rebelscum I suppose mainly because we live in and around the Big D. The only reason I'm there is to chat with them in that forum.