Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 586680 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Rebelscum Spam Mail? WTF???
« Reply #1110 on: March 30, 2005, 12:12 AM »
I wish there was a way for someone to get into the "freeze@Rebelscum.com" e-mail account, and send out another mass/spamming e-mail to all of their members, with Philip's "Get a life" blurb included in it...  8)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1111 on: March 30, 2005, 12:21 AM »
Anyway, if you're not in a collecting club, you should be!

What the hell do you think JediDefender is, Bill?!   ;)

Yeah, we're a little more spread out than your average "local" collecting club, but still...  At least we get to hold our Collecting Club meetings all over the country, from MN to TN to CA...   8)

Well... yeah... I guess.   I should have said "regional collecting club" or something.   :P

If you guys ever hold a Pennsylvania JD meeting, be sure to give me a holler.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 30, 2005, 01:26 AM »
As fun as it is to gripe when the admins over there fly off the handle, promote or ban a moderator, or lock a post......it doesn't make me want to give up the daily interaction with my fellow fans to come over here and listen to the crickets chirping.

Really? After almost 3 years there, I'm tired of being treated like ****. I find it hard to stay loyal and peppy at a site where whenever someone has a suggestion, no case is made, because they monitor and close those threads lightning fast. I'm tired of it...I really don't think I have to deal with it anymore.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 30, 2005, 02:11 AM »
I just punched out of that ****hole. If I get any form of spam on my email after my public request, I will raise such hell, it will be unfathomable.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #1114 on: March 30, 2005, 02:32 AM »
******' A.

I think I'll compose the most profanity-laced email ever and send it to Phil because I feel like it and don't have a life.  ;)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 30, 2005, 03:07 AM »
I finally got some balls and decided to get out of there too...Thanks for giving me some confidence Kevin. :)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 30, 2005, 03:12 AM »
Hey, thats why my personal slogan is "When balls just aren't enough..."

But seriously, thanks for jumping ship too. If I went it alone I'd have a bit of egg on my face after my moving speech. ;)

I'm so glad sites like this exist.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #1117 on: March 30, 2005, 03:25 AM »
This is mainly in reply to Chris, as when I wrote my last reply I was speaking mainly to our good friend Dressel Rebel who said "Who needs RS?" and I said "I do".

Just because I sometimes point out the obvious when people start bashing RS (that it's bigger, and that's reason for a lot of it's problems) doesn't mean I don't like this place. I hope that Chris (and everyone else here) knows that.  

But come on.  As Chris practically said himself, we still need Rebelscum (or a site like it) for a lot of reasons that JD can't currently fulfill.

I mean, if I used JD's thread (which I started) for my Seattle collecting needs:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=1538.0

I'd be a little short on store reports.

If you take a look at the classified ads, there are still posts from February on the 1st page. Not exactly the best place to find the most deals from fellow collectors on the net.

A quick trip to the front page of Wattos Junkyard reveals topics as old as the middle of the month. Not exactly the best place for the latest random chit chat with Star Wars fans.

I'm not saying JD doesn't have quality stuff here, it just doesn't have traffic to sustain that quality at the same rate as the bigger sites. That's the only reason I don't hit the site every few hours like I do RS.  I still make it point to stop by at least weekly....and that's usually enough to catch up on what's been going on.

After the few years I've been here, I'll still maintain that you don't have to choose "one or the other", as both sites have their merits. It's just like anything else in life. Some days I feel like getting my news from a big site like CNN, and other days I just want to read someone's blog.

Hopefully this post will help smooth over any feathers I may have ruffled with my last one, which again....was not my intent.  My real intent was to point out that RS can't be all bad, or we wouldn't have a 6 page thread still discussing it today. That's all.  ;D

Got Clones?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1118 on: March 30, 2005, 04:00 AM »
If you guys ever hold a Pennsylvania JD meeting, be sure to give me a holler.

I think that'd ammount to myself, Bob, and you Bill....  ;)  I just don't run into PA guys much.  I think they do consider PSWCS their home.  I don't personally, but only because I can't abide email servers anymore...  I stick with Pittsburgh's local forum since it's the best for the local guys, and that's generally enough PA stuff for me.

I do like to think of myself as a pseudo-PSWCS member though since I did try it briefly, and since the meetings are always on my priority list.

Anyway, as far as content though, I have to agree with Chris that while there's some things Scum has that fulfill a need, I can't say that they're dominant in any way. 

I look through the customs area there, however it has degenerated in the past year +, and I think FFURG.com does a better service to the customizing hobby.  Rebelscum is generally filled with people looking for praise.

Rebelscum's vintage area has taken a nosedive.  While there are still many of the knowledgeable folks there, many have also headed off for greener fields as well, and the truly knowledgeable there don't always speak up anymore.  I can't blame them either considering some of the people they've had invade that area.

The older collection areas (POTF2,E1, etc.) are more often than not just BAD conversation...  People asking for prices, value, etc.  I can't exactly look at that as quality. 

Newer collecting areas (OTC, ROTS, etc.) are more often than not filled with A) the condescending, arrogant, ego-manaical pricks who (if they were here) would be (or some even are) banned...  B) the "newbies" who come in with the intent of running the show there...  C) the kids who are what they are...  D) the odd person trying to make conversation good.  I stress that D is the minority.

Other Collectibles, Lego, and their film/EU areas tend to have more traffic.  More people with more questions and such, but also these areas (especially the film/EU areas where I do go often still) are more and more filling up with what the newer collecting areas have.  A lotta jerks, a lotta kids, and a handful of people that it's fun to talk to.

Trading...  More people is good and bad.  We don't have the issues with bad traders they do, and I have to say that we act more swiftly on any situation that would arise.  For instance, Matkatnadam's blatant scalping of the Lava Vader would have garnered him at the very least a suspension here I would think.  His beligerence on the subject would've been banishment.  Simple as that.  Yet there he is at Scum (What the hell happened to "Collect to Collect" and all that ****?)...  Is that good?  I dunno if that's who I want to converse with personally.

EDIT: BTW, maybe I just don't trade much, but I think I've done 99% of my trading here and 1% at Scum.  More people is ok, but it doesn't necessarilly mean you won't get the job done here either.  Usually when I need something someone here's willing to help first.  AND, the few times I have traded at Scum I've gotten **** from the other end because it's often some new guy with no established record who wants things his way...  Again, is that quality?  Seems riskier than Ebay to me.

Wuher's is a joke compared to here IMO...  Not even a comparison.  I'll take less one-liner responses, good moderating, and generally good mature conversation over that.  Wuher's offers you some good posts, but you have to find them among the sludge that is 80% to 90% of Wuher's conversation.  From entire topics right down to single responses. 

Basically what I'm saying is I don't really want to dig through a 12 page topic to see what the conversation between JoshEEE and JohnH was, when I have to weed through blight's, "Hey that is cool", Yodaboi's, "Sahdut upa you mron!!", or several  ::):P , or  >:(  ;D  :D 's... 

Oh yeah, and the ever present "Me too!"/"I agree!", of course.

Smaller?  Less traffic?  Maybe...  but I think when I break Rebelscum's traffic down to what I ACTUALLY read, it perhaps evens out, and I'd actually say there's more here I'm actively reading and find interesting.

That's my take...  I started looking this way when Matt pointed my eyes this way...  Long before I even considered a job offer.  This was just better.  This was where the names I knew and appreciated had gone. 

Some stuck by Scum.  Some went to GalacticHunter (more than are at Scum by a longshot in and of itself), and the vast majority came here.  And more have come over since, so I'll never look at Scum's traffic as anything more than clutter I am labored to pick through to actually read the INTERESTING post.  And they sure as **** are rare these days.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 04:06 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 30, 2005, 06:58 AM »
I actually never recevied that email , i have to admit that the only things i goto scum for are the Aussie updates, unfortunately try as i have the guys don't really seem to wanna come over here, hey thats cool.
This has got me a little perplexed, when the merge from CSW to the scum forums happened we wouldnt have has that agreement about the emails would we ? because we didn't sign up for those forums but for the CSW one?
I dont pop into wuhers at all , the only other place i do pop into occasionally is their prop forum.
As for traffic at this site i was here when Chris started out at the old jedichris site and was impressed by what he started, and after leaving the internet for 2 years and then coming back on to find JC had becom JD and the site it was i was very happy, Give me quality traffic over quantity of traffic any day.
So when do i become a mod? ;)
Is spamming illegal in the US? cause it is here.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 30, 2005, 07:10 AM »
But does this entire afair suprise anyone? From all the experiances so many of us have had there, is it any wonder that Phillip would pull something like this? Kinda like what he did to his moderators at TFN last year, or back when we had mass bannings at RS.

That said, I am glad to see some people finally moving on. If Natural Selection is true, then your survival is looking much more probable  :P.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 30, 2005, 10:30 AM »
Let the record show that we're approaching 48 hours - that's two solid days, and I have no response to my question.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 30, 2005, 10:59 AM »
Let the record show that we're approaching 48 hours - that's two solid days, and I have no response to my question.
Granted Phil is most likely a busy person like everyone else here but you would think that since your question was asked in the orignal thred that he could of replied to your comment Zod in this 48 hours.  I would of thought he would of told you an answer before the orignal thread was lock since it was one of the more valid concerns with this issue.

I will end up like alot of you here in opt out of the Scum since it seems the Webmaster of the site doesn't give a damn about his members, since we need to get a life.  This along with the hypcoise of the rules where certain mods can start flame wars with members and other things while another moderator can be demoted for calling a thread stupid.  The only reason I'm waiting is I'm in the middle of a trade once I finsih it I'm gone from there for good, won't be fair for the other member I trading with to just leave. 

Over the past few years that I have trade over at Scum I have had alot of people who have said they were interested but never get back to me usually after I tell other interested parties that these items are no longer avilable because I have a buyer/trader for them.  By the time I decide to see if the orignal person wants it thhose other people that were interested are no longer interested or have already found another one.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 30, 2005, 11:01 AM »
In the past when I've emailed him I've always heard back within a few hours.   I'm willing to wait longer, but if I don't hear anything in the next day or two - I'm going to start calling TRU's corporate offices to figure out who the appropriate person to complain to would be.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 30, 2005, 11:07 AM »
I'm going to start calling TRU's corporate offices to figure out who the appropriate person to complain to would be.

Why do I get that feeling they will give you this answer:

Please email Philip Wise ( philip@rebelscum.com )