Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581254 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: How long has that damned RS been down?
« Reply #1770 on: August 18, 2005, 12:35 AM »
 :-X

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 18, 2005, 12:46 AM »
If people can't see that we're all about quality after this intellectual exchange, there's no hope for them.   :D

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1772 on: August 18, 2005, 12:52 AM »
This keeps up and the Vintage community may not have a choice but to relocate... 

I can only hope.  :)

John

Well I'm sure the JD staff would love to see the vintage community hop on by here. I think it would be great to expand the vintage conversations here, and the big plus is no riff-raff!  ;D Pretty much everyone I have seen post in the vintage section here has been collecting for quite some time and/or isn't looking for the quick payoff, but real insight into the toys of yesteryear.

>:( Is this the same RS Vinty community I’m thinking about here? Cause most of them started collecting in the 90’s- newbies. I can tell you if there was a migration of those pompous, magnificent liars to JD there would be one less member here (after getting skewered in the anus, I have zero tolerance for most of them, though certainly there’s still many decent collectors there as well) but I suppose the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few… or the one.

Depends on your definition of newbies. I don't think someone who's been collecting since the 90's necessarily qualifies as a newbie. Someone who just started this year is definitely a newbie and there's a lot of those kinds of collectors running around RS. And while I agree  that some of them can come off as pompous, I think it's an injustice to call them liars. Unless you have had problems with a wide variety of members there, and usually when there is such a problem it turns out the individual is at fault compared to the group, I think you may be letting occurences with a few members to color your judgment of the community.

The amount of sheer knowledge that the vintage community has in the hobby reaches well beyond just vintage items and would certainly be a great asset to any site that they used as a "homebase." Sadly, they choose to stay at RS, despite the fact they many of them have stated that they don't like it there or have had problems there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:53 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1773 on: August 18, 2005, 01:05 AM »
First...

Well, Jesse and Chewie have both tried to get me over here so, here I am.   :P

With RS down for a while I'll need to get my fix somewhere and if I can do that without endless posts of crap in the modern sections I may just stay!

E...

Holy ****, you're here Eric! :)

Big E's a memeber of the PSWCS, and a buddy of mine.  Also was my line buddy at Celebration 3 (along with Jeff and Jason), where I was pretty much flew solo during the event for 90% of my time at it.  Me and E cashed in our badges for our store goodies together.

Good times man!  You gotta get out to Western PA sometime bud.  Glad to have you aboard finally.

Second...

If anything we've worked against increases in traffic at our site considering we like to "weed out" the people who are here to just be peckerheads.  And they do show up...  Some of them are the people that some of us have had issues with elsewhere, some are just post-padding morons that fit in better at Rebelscum since there's many of their ilk to compete with...  But either way we don't just let them play their game, they get das boot.  Sure they could increase traffic, but why let them drag our home down?  **** that, and **** them.

Third...

Creature Cantina.com sucks.  Sorry Bill.  You've known this.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 18, 2005, 01:14 AM »
Depends on your definition of newbies. I don't think someone who's been collecting since the 90's necessarily qualifies as a newbie. Someone who just started this year is definitely a newbie and there's a lot of those kinds of collectors running around RS. And while I agree  that some of them can come off as pompous, I think it's an injustice to call them liars. Unless you have had problems with a wide variety of members there, and usually when there is such a problem it turns out the individual is at fault compared to the group, I think you may be letting occurences with a few members to color your judgment of the community.

The amount of sheer knowledge that the vintage community has in the hobby reaches well beyond just vintage items and would certainly be a great asset to any site that they used as a "homebase." Sadly, they choose to stay at RS, despite the fact they many of them have stated that they don't like it there or have had problems there.

I'd definitely fit that newbie category with respect to vintage.  I didn't start collecting SW toys until '95 and not vintage until '03 :-[  Dale's been a tremendous help to me and I'd suggest to DaBigKahuna who started around the same time.  I'll certainly lay no grand claims to any amount of knowledge base for vintage.  

My guess on the reluctance of the vintage crew to step somewhere else is that they've addressed many of the questions someone as myself may pose and rather than going through it all again which would be quite tedious they can simply pull up an old thread and say read this.  I've participated on non-toy sites where the same questions get asked repeatedly and it indeed is tedious to answer them repeatedly.  I think that could be addressed by partitioning off the vinty section here simply into two areas, one for experienced collectors and one for more basic needs.  

Not at all trying to knock RS or the established vintage community but I will blow some sunshine up Dale's (and others that have helped out here) arse in that the patience he's shown as a resource for answering questions here has been invaluable to me.  I don't think reasonably that could have been accomplished at RS whether it's because of cynicism (due to too many speculators cruising through) or because they've just done it too many times.  I had near personal guidance through an entire loose vintage collection.  Picking up a couple of books really helped as well, but it's nice to be able to ask questions and get answers.  I think that's just an example that's fairly symptomatic of the crew here at JD.  And again it's not to say there aren't folks that wouldn't do it at other sites, just that it works so well here.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #1775 on: August 18, 2005, 01:36 AM »
I'd definitely fit that newbie category with respect to vintage.  I didn't start collecting SW toys until '95 and not vintage until '03 :-[  Dale's been a tremendous help to me and I'd suggest to DaBigKahuna who started around the same time.  I'll certainly lay no grand claims to any amount of knowledge base for vintage. 

Brent, starting to collect vintage only 2 years ago would I believe classify you as a newcomer to the hobby, but that certainly doesn't mean you haven't added to the small, but hopefully growing, vintage community here at JD. My problem with newbies in the vintage community in general is you know they're just in it to make the quick buck and not give back to the group. Though that is something that can be seen in any sub-group of the collecting hobby, I've seen enough of it in the customizing community to be well versed in that kinda crap.

My guess on the reluctance of the vintage crew to step somewhere else is that they've addressed many of the questions someone as myself may pose and rather than going through it all again which would be quite tedious they can simply pull up an old thread and say read this.  I've participated on non-toy sites where the same questions get asked repeatedly and it indeed is tedious to answer them repeatedly.  I think that could be addressed by partitioning off the vinty section here simply into two areas, one for experienced collectors and one for more basic needs. 

I can definitely see that as a reason for not wanting to migrate to a different site. The only thing though is they might find that re-iterating old topics at a place such as JD where people are willing to really learn, help each other out and give back, could be rather refreshing to them and even help them recall things they hadn't thought about in years. Something similar has happened in the customizing community in the last couple of years. When the old Forgotten Force listserv dried up, the FF instinctively went over to RS, because it was RS who hosted the listserv. Many of us "veterans" tried to help out, but we got pelted with crap from people who just wanted to shill their own **** and not give back to the group, something against the principles of the FF. So many vets grew tired of the scene and moved on. As an attempt to bring back the fun of the FF, the staff of FFURG (including myself and Jesse) started our own message board (the FForums - cheap plug  :P) as a means of not only giving back to the once thriving community, but to help others to do just that. We have many newcomers to the hobby come through, and they ask the same questions that all newcomers would ask back in the day on the old listserv. But instead of shunning them, we do our best to help them out, by explaining concepts and helping to point them in the right direction when it comes to an article, picture, or recipe. It's been rather refreshing, as it's helped bring back some forgotten concepts or even new angles on those concepts. That's something that gives back to the community, and I think the vintage community could find that would happen for them as well.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1776 on: August 18, 2005, 04:07 AM »
Many of us "veterans" tried to help out, but we got pelted with crap from people who just wanted to shill their own **** and not give back to the group, something against the principles of the FF.

That's a good example of why the Customs area at Scum's so goddam disappointing.

A lot of  "Hey, that is great!" posts and that's it.  Not that one-line posts that took 0 thought are uncommon in general over yonder, but it was in the customizing area where it became downright irritating.

There's a handful of guys who only want to hear "hey, that's great", and that's it.  They're the guys that if you do offer criticism constructively they don't reply to you at all because that's not what they're there to do.  They often don't go in-depth in explaining how they created something either.  Gotta love that kind of personality.   ::)

The whole thing of just praising people's work without ever talking about it just blew so hard though, and then some people even getting "offended" when you gave opinions on it that weren't solid praise...  I think it's just that people either didn't want to be offensive and were shy about criticism or they were just more post-padders (who'da thunk that huh?), so the whole thing just fell apart.

FFURG is a place for learning though...  Plus it's nice to just see customizers controlling their forum.  I hated that Philip ran the goddam Listserver when it was up and active even because he did NOTHING to curb off-topic traffic and the like.  I absolutely hated that (and it's that very inactivity that killed the old listserver as well...  It's that same blind eye he turns to the Forums at Scum.  He doesn't give a **** so he doesn't put forth effort on these projects of his).

The Email Server, in its death throws, was the biggest cluster**** on the internet if you can imagine that.  It degenerated into pretty much a place for people to talk about Star Wars (anything and everything) and clog your email box...  You also had the obligatory bafoon sending SPAM or chain letters and such to the list too...  I like that FFURG controls 1000+ member forum that holds something true to the old list server's intent, and that Philip has nothing to do with as far as the way it is run.  It's run by customizers, as it should be.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 18, 2005, 12:27 PM »
Well, I randomly just tried the forums and they were up and there was no announcement on the front page indicating so. So what is the deal? Are they back up now, or will they only work under certain conditions until the forum guy straightens everything up?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 18, 2005, 02:15 PM »
First...

Well, Jesse and Chewie have both tried to get me over here so, here I am.   :P

With RS down for a while I'll need to get my fix somewhere and if I can do that without endless posts of crap in the modern sections I may just stay!

E...

Holy ****, you're here Eric! :)

Big E's a memeber of the PSWCS, and a buddy of mine.  Also was my line buddy at Celebration 3 (along with Jeff and Jason), where I was pretty much flew solo during the event for 90% of my time at it.  Me and E cashed in our badges for our store goodies together.

Good times man!  You gotta get out to Western PA sometime bud.  Glad to have you aboard finally.

Second...

If anything we've worked against increases in traffic at our site considering we like to "weed out" the people who are here to just be peckerheads.  And they do show up...  Some of them are the people that some of us have had issues with elsewhere, some are just post-padding morons that fit in better at Rebelscum since there's many of their ilk to compete with...  But either way we don't just let them play their game, they get das boot.  Sure they could increase traffic, but why let them drag our home down?  **** that, and **** them.

Third...

Creature Cantina.com sucks.  Sorry Bill.  You've known this.

I haven't heard the word "peckerhead" in years, I think I forgot about it.  I must now endeavor to use it more often.

And yes, C3 was a blast and it was great hanging out with you in line. 

I should get down to Pitt more often.  Every time one of the comicons or toy shows get announced I think about running down for it but I haven't done it yet.  I'll have to try harder!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 18, 2005, 04:36 PM »
Well, I randomly just tried the forums and they were up and there was no announcement on the front page indicating so. So what is the deal? Are they back up now, or will they only work under certain conditions until the forum guy straightens everything up?

They were back with no announcement as early as last evening. I've been logging in since then.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #1780 on: August 18, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Matt, I thank you for that huge list of JD features you pointed out. I knew most of them, except for this one:

Private Store Reports section. Our store reports forum here is for registered JD members only, and is closed to the general public, keeping scalpers and lurkers on the outside, unable to benefit from your finds.  We also monitor "lurking" online members, and will take action if they continue to review store reports without participating.

That is an awesome feature I was totally unaware of!  Now...again, if you guys could just get that annoying traffic here (like RS or GH has).....my Seattle thread that was last updated 2 years ago would be a daily hangout for me.  As it stands right now, I'm the only person from Seattle who ever posted in it.  :(

The Seattle "Look what I found" at RS  has been one of my best collecting resources of all time (second only to the classifieds over there). But it has a flaw in that everyone in the collecting world knows about it, and lurks there.

I didn't know the JD one was for registered users only, that's a HUGE benefit!  If only I could advertise that on other sites where Seattle collectors go.   Maybe I'll mention it at our collectors meeting and see if I can get people to come over and use this secure thread instead.

Got Clones?

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #1781 on: August 18, 2005, 05:42 PM »
That is an awesome feature I was totally unaware of!

'Tis a new feature, that's why:

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8742.0

:)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 05:43 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 18, 2005, 05:49 PM »
Funny, I can't find Minnesota threads on RS or GH (well, it's there) anymore at all.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1783 on: August 18, 2005, 06:01 PM »
I haven't heard the word "peckerhead" in years, I think I forgot about it.  I must now endeavor to use it more often.

And yes, C3 was a blast and it was great hanging out with you in line. 

I should get down to Pitt more often.  Every time one of the comicons or toy shows get announced I think about running down for it but I haven't done it yet.  I'll have to try harder!

E...

The local guys always do some drinking, trading, and general hanging out so I'm sure you'd be a welcome addition man.  :)

C3 was a blast...  Hardly got to chat with you after the show though.  I didn't get to see many PSWCS guys at all.  Twas a hectic weekend for certain, and I feel like I didn't divide my time up as well as I should have.  I missed hanging with the FFURG guys after the show too, and only saw my JD gang a couple times...  Was just a busy time.

You get into town, make sure you let me know though...  PM me here or email me or whatever...  I'm always up for grabbin' beers with the Star Wars gang.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 18, 2005, 11:13 PM »
I kind of felt like I didn't budget my time quite as well at C3 as I did at C2.  I saw fewer presentations and it seemed like I was always running, but couldn't really tell you what I did.   ???

I had fun and felt like I saw a lot of cool things (Kinda wished I had tried to see Lucas though) but, like you, did a lot of running around on my own.  I kind of think that's almost the best way to do it though.

Nothing against my friends that were there with me, but in a show that sized it's easier to just make a call and do something than try to arrange some massive movement.  Heh.

But, yeah, when I make it down to Pitt next time we'll definitely have to hang out. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"