Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 587737 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Rebelscum
« Reply #2610 on: January 17, 2006, 01:27 AM »
And why are all four members staff there?  ::)

In case Smartypants goes on a 2 minute banning spree that will shake the whole collecting community.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: January 17, 2006, 04:22 AM »
Oh come on! How in the hell do they justify posting this in the "collections" section?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: January 17, 2006, 07:41 AM »
Someone should tell that person that you need to paint the drywall after you tape and spackle it.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: January 17, 2006, 08:12 AM »
Someone should tell that person that you need to paint the drywall after you tape and spackle it.

Eh.  Why bother?  If they didn't already know that to begin with, telling them now would just be wasted breath.
 ;)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: January 17, 2006, 10:00 AM »
A thought just occured to me. If this "chase" figure program really is a chase figure situation, who thinks the forums over there are just going to implode? Think about it. These chase figures are going to cause a huge stir, and not in a good way. RS has allowed a their Collect to Collect philosphy to go by the way side and the forums are now filled with people who scalp, whether they accept the definition or not. By human nature, all of those people are going to  get into major fights due to jealousy and the mods, or lack there of, are going to be overwhelmed.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2615 on: January 17, 2006, 10:56 AM »
A thought just occured to me. If this "chase" figure program really is a chase figure situation, who thinks the forums over there are just going to implode? Think about it. These chase figures are going to cause a huge stir, and not in a good way. RS has allowed a their Collect to Collect philosphy to go by the way side and the forums are now filled with people who scalp, whether they accept the definition or not. By human nature, all of those people are going to  get into major fights due to jealousy and the mods, or lack there of, are going to be overwhelmed.

I remember when that "Collect to Collect" medal was proudly displayed on the forums page.

I haven't seen that medal in years.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2616 on: January 17, 2006, 02:02 PM »
I remember when that "Collect to Collect" medal was proudly displayed on the forums page.

I haven't seen that medal in years.

I forgot all about that medal... damn... They took it down about 2 years ago, at least. I need to dig around and see if I might have a picture of it somewhere. I seriously doubt it, though.

I can't beleive he's a Mod there, heck I can't believe I am either ???

It isn't easy for a little kid to kick start a community on a free-based forum with no contacts, draw, or reliable staff - I think you should give him some credit for at least having the guts to go out on a limb and try something like that.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: January 17, 2006, 02:20 PM »

Look how proud Phillip looks! :D

In time you will call me...Master!!!

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2618 on: January 17, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I forgot all about that medal... damn... They took it down about 2 years ago, at least. I need to dig around and see if I might have a picture of it somewhere. I seriously doubt it, though.

The medal and the page explaining it is still around.

http://www.rebelscum.com/collect.asp

I actually just used it when starting up a new "photo thread" thing today, since Darth Big Boy's hasn't been used in awhile.
Got Clones?

SilverZ

« Reply #2619 on: January 17, 2006, 07:38 PM »
That's strange, I thought this was the current one:

???

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2620 on: January 17, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I don't think that Rebelscum as an entity has started supporting scalping or something.  I think there are a lot of people there (myself included) that still believe in "Collect to Collect".

The problem isn't with the philosophy.  It's simply that they don't have enough good moderators left to shut down every instance of scalping that pops up there. I still report posts when I see them, and I have a feeling if everyone else did too.....those people that think it's ok to do that would eventually get the hint and leave. 

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 08:00 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #2621 on: January 17, 2006, 08:20 PM »
I don't think that Rebelscum as an entity has started supporting scalping or something.  I think there are a lot of people there (myself included) that still believe in "Collect to Collect".

The problem isn't with the philosophy.  It's simply that they don't have enough good moderators left to shut down every instance of scalping that pops up there. I still report posts when I see them, and I have a feeling if everyone else did too.....those people that think it's ok to do that would eventually get the hint and leave. 

I'm in the same boat as you Josh. I've been saying it for a while now: they need more good moderators.

The problem with reporting threads is that they aren't looked at for MONTHS sometimes. For instance, right now there is a thread in the Jedi Archives section called "500th post".  While I didn't report it, I remember hearing someone say they reported it months ago. Just look at the thread and read the posts in it...you'll see that other people are wondering why it is still around as well.

I once reported one of darth yaddle's posts because he circumvented the language filter by saying **** (he used it in a url, linking to one of his petitions to get allowed back). I personally don't care if people say it, but seeing as how Scum is an all ages site and they get pissed if you type A$$, I figured I might as well notify the mods to it. I reported the post back in November. Its still there.

I'm also getting sick of the people on Scum who use the rationale "Everyone scalps, whether they admit it or not" or use little pretty euphenisms to try to make themselves feel better about doing it. No matter how much makeup you put on a turd, a turd is a turd. Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't make it ok. If everyone was jumping off a bridge, would you do it too?

Someone brought up a good point in a recent thread about scalping. They said that people lately have been using the excuse "but I'm a poor college student" to defend their scalping. I'm a poor college student too. Sure, I could go to Wal-Mart and snatch up every single TSC figure because they are hot right now, but do I? No. It hurts the hobby. Whether its a big thing or a little thing, it hurts MY community and hobby.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2622 on: January 17, 2006, 10:02 PM »
I'd say I agree with Josh...  to an extent.

I don't believe guys like Dave, Dustin, Philip, etc. are scalpers or support the notion...  Contrary to what they may think, the staff here doesn't truly hate their guts like that...  Dislike their actions?  Dislike how they treat their forum members who DID show loyalty and were an asset at their site, and not a problem?  Yes, some here feel that way, but I think this is how many here view the situation:

The site maybe doesn't have the mods it needs, but at the same time the staff are there, they are active, and they really just don't give two ***** when things come up that are big problems.  Unless it's trashing Rebelscum's actions, unless it's open criticism of the way things are run there, the Scum staff don't care about their forums near enough and it shows.

Scalping is let slide...  I don't think the aforementioned staffers are scalpers or support the notion, but I do think they have htis "meh, who cares" attitude sometimes, and that scalping's something they can't control on their forums by saying "we're too busy".  I'm busy too, but if it comes up here it's something any one of us will nip in the bud right quickly...  It's just not tolerated, and yes it does come up, and yes our staff is as busy as anyone...  Sometimes it seems moreso because we don't always seem to have the time to do our "jobs" here for the front page too.

So do I think the C2C motto is something they believe in?  Probably, I only know Curto really well and I know Philip didn't ask high prices on anything he's sold, even rare stuff, so that's cool he's a good egg like that, but at the same time their forums are neglected...  Youc an't leave what mods they have to make the decisions it seems, and if you're membership quality is so low you can't promote reliable help from anywhere in this supposedly vast pool of "talent", then to me that just says an equally low commentary about what goes on at your forums overall.  Not to say there aren't people I think you could trust who are there regularly, it's just that nobody's seemingly on the same page...  Nobody cares enough about the job except the few mods they do have, and they're not on the same page with the rest of the staff a lot of the time.  Thus people lose their "job" who were mods, mods are overruled at times by staff, etc...  Nobody cares from the top down, and thus the forums have suffered and are a sham in their overall quality compared to what they were several years back.  The BHC worked because it was run by guys like Burn, mousedroid, jedicrippler, etc., who actually gave a ****.  And like I've always said, some places run their site one way, others like it another way...  I think the "it's so big" excuse is getting old though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: January 17, 2006, 11:47 PM »
Edmund Burke said it best I think: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I guess we can modify it to say "All that is necessary for the triumph of scalpers is that good men do nothing."

Regardless of where the community is, I think the point here is that when good people do nothing, the community in general is hurt. At forums, when there is an issue that impacts or has the potential to hurt the community in a negative way, and members do not report or pass on it thinking others will act, Mods do not respond or do not take action, and people in general are not passionate about what occurs in their community, the result is apathy (wherever that community is). When apathy, for whatever reason sets in, reason is lost, and chaos/evil slowly begins to creep in. History shows that all over place, and I think we can see that reflected in our culture and society right now. That is why when a community comes together, it makes news and we as a society are fascinated by it; but that is JMO.
So in the end, how active the members of a community are, and remain, is what makes a community strong.  Communities change over time, and that is unavoidable. The key is for good people to stay involved in their community.

"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: January 18, 2006, 08:26 AM »

Hahahaha!
Sorry, I don't normally laugh at bad photography or attempts to display a collection, but the drywall comment did it for me.