Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 581260 times)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
Re: Rebelscumians?
« Reply #105 on: August 9, 2003, 08:37 PM »
plus why bother have hope for them when the better palce is the here and now?

Because as nice and friendly as this place is, there are only a handful of posts every day to look at.

I'd love to see either Rebelscum settle down, or this place liven up.....but neither one is the optimal hangout in it's current condition (unless you only like to stop by once a day.)   :)
Got Clones?

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 9, 2003, 08:50 PM »
much truth to what you say, but even then... if we all invited people then it will liven up.
even recently i brought on two new people, every bit helps this place.

but thats a story for another time and off the topic.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2003, 05:26 AM »
...if conversations are limited to a "non-politcal" nature, how can you really get to know someone?  I mean, it's nice to know what someone's favorite color is, or which movie they really like, etc., but to really know someone, you will eventually have to touch on "political" subjects at some point.  Personally, I prefer to make "friends" with someone based on moral principles rather than one based on which figures we really like.  ;)  Don't worry, as long as I'm here, I'll "play nice," but I just thought I'd make a point.

Fair enough, but I think it's different for different people.  Politics doesn't play such a big part in my life or a lot of other people here for that matter, and I could honestly care less what most people think about it really.  Same goes for several other "hot topics", such as religion or sexual orientation.  That doesn't mean I don't know what people here think about it though, just that we generally don't discuss it right out in the open is all...

There's a LOT of ways to get to know folks other than "bickering" over certain issues in the middle of the forums.  A lot of us here exchange numerous (personal) e-mails and PMs, and many of us chat quite frequently in either the JD chat, or via our AIM accounts.  Throw in the fact that we do a lot of trading with eachother, a number of us talk on the phone, and even more of us get together with other members here in person.  It really all adds up to most of us knowing eachother pretty well here.

I'd also add that we have a lot more substantive threads here than just "favorite color" and such (I know that was just an extreme example you used to make your point there).  We've discussed people's families, jobs, hobbies, goals, houses, feelings, health issues, etc, etc.  So just 'cause we don't touch on a couple potentially explosive issues doesn't mean we don't know a helluva lot about eachother in most other respects.  Plus, like I already mentioned, outside of the forums we often will discuss some of the other hotter and more personal topics.

Just the fact that most of us even know eachother by (real) name puts us way ahead of other forums on a personal level.  Beyond that, many of us could probably tell you the names and ages of many members wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, children, pets, what kind of car they drive, what they do, where they live...  It goes on and on really.  Heck, some of us are even talking about getting some vacation plans together just to all hang out for a while and have some real fun!

So just send some e-mails or PMs, or hop in the chat or on AIM from time to time, and you'd be surprised at just how quickly you can get to know your fellow JD'ers personally.  I've always said that JD is much more than just a forum to discuss your thoughts on SW stuff.  It's also a place to make friends, which is what I think really makes this place special...   8)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2003, 01:07 PM »
Just the fact that most of us even know eachother by (real) name puts us way ahead of other forums on a personal level.  Beyond that, many of us could probably tell you the names and ages of many members wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, children, pets, what kind of car they drive, what they do, where they live...  It goes on and on really.

OK, that's just scary to me. Does that mean you guys actually listen when I divulge stuff like that?   :)
Got Clones?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2003, 11:50 PM »
I have a lot to say on this but will keep it short for now to on one point...

Matt Carroll and Bob and other old school CSWers Chris, Jamie, Matt, Matt, Matt and Matt...oh and Matt)can attest...RS traffic is no different than what CSW traffic was, there weren't flame wars, 13 year old trolls and if there were, they were dealt with accordingly.  Something I pointed out to you many time this past spring Josh and my biggest beef with what happens there in general is a total and utter lack of respect for anyone...and a lot of that I cannot explain.  It is like ******* Junior High School, partly because the owners of said site I firmly believe are more interested in the revenues generated from the forums than the people who generate that revenue...the other being imcompetent staff and arrogant as hell admins.

There is a tie to our brethern at GH (all good guys ;)) who I want to mention as well but no time right now...I have some thinking to do and want to make sure I have time to say it right ;)

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2003, 12:48 AM »
I am going to jump in here. I have been around since the CSW days, and I loved that site. The forums were just so much fun to take part in, read, etc. IMO, that was and IS still the best. Period.

I started my angelfire page 2 years ago for fun. A personal page of mine, for the collection, etc. Well, it turned into a bit of news reporting. Then forums. I then decided I wanted a CSW. Being very ignorant and having no clue what this would involve, I opened up JediChris.net thinking that I would just magically open and have a large community and site. I was dead wrong, dead wrong. JediChris.net had it's "up's and down's" but I always had that dream of having a great community like CSW.

When CSW and RS merged, I was not too happy, but with the CSW crew still in charge along with the RS gang, I thought things would be ok, and they were. Towards the "end" of the CSW/BHC boards great rule, things started getting bad.

I had been preparing something over the summer, that I would debut in the fall. This site would fulfull my dream. It was the perfect opportunity. The BHC boards had failed (as they still do, very much so, even more these days) and I now had the perfect chance. I would bring back the community of the hobby. I have such a passion for JediDefender, and want to share it with everyone. We have the best modern collectors from all of the sites here now, I can guarantee that and will let no one dispute it. The best Star Wars toy conversation is here, at JediDefender. They realize our goals and feel comfortable here.

We now need to get the "butt's in the forums".

Please tell your online friends or anyone that you come in contact with to come to JediDefender! To get more people here in the forum, we need your help. For the site to come full circle, I am relying on our members. We have the first aspect of the BHC down, which is extreme quality, the next phase is the number of people. The staff will continue to work our hardest to maintain excellence but we ask that you show your support for the site by doing the tasks above.

I am very proud to lead this site and the great people that visit, contribute, and make the hobby a blast for me. Thank You!

Best Regards,
Chris Berry
Administrator and Editor
JediDefender.com

Offline Matt Carroll

• Jedi Initiate
  • Who shot who in the what now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2003, 01:22 AM »
I've come to the realization that me telling my perspective and story on the whole RS/CSW merger and the BHC/'Scum forums from that point to now isn't going to do anyone any good at all. :-X

After the GH split, I realized that the spirit of what was the BHC was no longer present at 'Scum's forums - they had turned into something else completely and  had a different feel. I hadn't visited Wuher's in the longest time until someone emailed me and told me to check out Scott's "work" from the other night.  I'm really at  RS anymore only to read the vintage forums and was really caught off-guard to the extent that things had changed over there. Heck, I think 90% of the people in there would treat me as a newbie if I started posting in the Cantina again, which is a very weird feeling, since that place felt like home for 2 years.

I've been asked if I'm disappointed with the state of the GH forums and I have to say, I'm not in the least. IMO, the most important part of a good, fun community is a solid base, which I think both GH and JD have (especially since a good portion of the bases for each site are comprised of the same people). I'm around the people with whom I've discussed Star Wars and life in general for the last 5 years; people that I've helped out with items or those that have helped me out; people that I've spent a good portion of the day with at C2 - people that I've come to know and respect as friends. Even though I haven't been around these forums as much as I'd like to, I get the exact same vibes about the community that is beginning to blossom here.  Numbers should never be the quantifying measure of the success or failure of a forum, but rather the quality of the people and the posts.  :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 01:26 AM by Matt Carroll »
Matt Carroll
udflyerman (at) gmail (dot) com
Always looking for rare/unusual Darth Vader items to add to my collection

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2003, 04:45 PM »
Well....I had no intentions of even reading this thread but I hit it by accident and I was sucked in.

I've been at the other forums (much like everyone else) and have watched the decay of one of my favorite places, that being the Rebeslcum forums.  I only posted in CSW when i first joined the "online" community about 4 years ago.  I lurked at SSG but that's all and enrolled under a different name at theforce.net (jadesfire was taken).  I enjoyed the "talk" and began to build trading/selling friendships with several board members.  Then, when RS and CSW merged, I started posting a little bit less.  Part of it was me and part of it was that the site just started to take off and there was a lot more threads to read.  And then Mike left.  I joined GH and never looked back.  

I still post in the prop section at RS, it's a great community and for the most part, you don't have the teenage babble since they can't really afford the line.  I know, I know....I'm taking a direct stab at a certain group but it's the truth.   I'll read the 12" section but it's always so blasted negative it's hard to go in there.

As for GH, I still pop in and read daily, just don't post a whole lot.  I like it there and I think it will be around for a long time....it's just that many of the people I've gotten to know are here, which is why I am here.  I also think the age level here (and at GH) is more mature than RS and is the main reason I've really come to call this place "home".  

Chris (Berry), I think you have a great site and I think the personal approach (I like it that others actually know and remember my name, where I live, what I like) is what makes this site stand out.  You also have great mods.  They are always here to answer questions, point you in the right direction and what not.  I hope you achieve that level you are looking for and thanks again!!

Beth

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2003, 08:51 PM »
I think RS will have a couple of more pages of threads tonight relating to the action of the Mods over there and they action of removing threads relating to a moderator over there who has issues of control, me thinks.  Here is one of them:Whats going on here

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2003, 10:00 PM »
I want to thank Matt Carroll, Beth (jadesfire), and Tom (Darth Kenobi) for each reply you left for me. I really appreciate hearing these things and it shows me that we are doing this right.

I feel I should clarify a statement I made in my previous post.

"The BHC boards had failed (as they still do, very much so, even more these days)"

This comment was not directed toward the current Galactic Hunter forums, but towards to original, now RebelScum forums.

We will all keep plugging away. Thanks!

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2003, 10:11 PM »
I feel I should clarify a statement I made in my previous post.

"The BHC boards had failed (as they still do, very much so, even more these days)"

This comment was not directed toward the current Galactic Hunter forums, but towards the original, now RebelScum forums.

Thanks for clarifying that boss, as I assumed that was what you were getting at.  But just so there's no confusion here - the BHC forum title was one of the few things that Mike got to keep when he split from RS and re-emerged as GH.  So the GH forums are still called the BHC.  The RS forums are not.  I think they're just called "The Three-Ringed Circus" now...   :P

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2003, 10:20 PM »
I see that Darth Kenobi's Invasion has begun.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2003, 10:22 PM »
I see that Darth Kenobi's Invasion has begun.

It has ended for  a little bit ( I think) ;D.

Offline TribesJedi

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2003, 12:49 AM »
I joined Rebelscum a few months ago, and started posting a bit, to find that most people just ignored me most of the time, and a lot of the threads and replys there consisted of insults and one word replys, and other things. I went through a period where I stopped posting for a while, and just lurked there, but after all of the choas and flaming, and dissappearing thread of the last couple days, I decided to click the link to here that is in several rebelscum member's signatures. Just from reading this topic I can see how different the community here must be compared to Rebelscum. I hope to stay here for a while.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2003, 12:53 AM »
TribesJedi welcome to the fourms.