Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583242 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #3480 on: March 20, 2007, 12:02 PM »
What can I say?  I like RS.  It's still my favorite collecting site.   When I see fellow collectors harshing on it, I usually throw the 2 cents in.

Right on, but you gotta admit--it's not exactly uncommon for you to be the contrarian on something.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3481 on: March 20, 2007, 01:04 PM »
Now our Con coverage is sub par too.

It's dumb stuff like this that makes me want to finally get out of this dead hobby.

L.O.L.

Who said that?  I thought your toy fair coverage was great.  (Of course, it would've been better if you sent me   ;D )
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3482 on: March 20, 2007, 01:06 PM »

It's dumb stuff like this that makes me want to finally get out of this dead hobby.

L.O.L.

Who said that?  I thought your toy fair coverage was great.  (Of course, it would've been better if you sent me   ;D )

They've improved the quality of the Collector's engine, they have more photos of new stuff than ever, they have more con coverage than any other site out there....and now they're covering other toy lines too.  Sure, not all those ideas are original, but what on the internet IS these days?

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3483 on: March 20, 2007, 01:20 PM »
What can I say?  I like RS.  It's still my favorite collecting site.   When I see fellow collectors harshing on it, I usually throw the 2 cents in. 

As far as aesthetics and coverage and features, RS is an OK site.  But my favorite aspect of collecting is talking with other collectors, and not necessarily only about Star Wars.  And by talking, I don't mean (like you mentioned) page after page of bull**** three-word responses.  You won't find much of that in the forums over there, and coupled with the condescending attitude of the admin and ineptitude of the mods, the social aspect of the hobby is way below subpar at RS.  My 2 cents.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3484 on: March 20, 2007, 02:01 PM »
RS is like Wal-Mart, they have everything (more than you need) and ****** customer service.  JD is the small mom and pop shop who has only what you need with quality service.

As with WM, you can't find what you need at RS because it's too damn big and overcrowded with mostly idiots, outside of the dairy (vintage) section.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #3485 on: March 20, 2007, 04:03 PM »

Right on, but you gotta admit--it's not exactly uncommon for you to be the contrarian on something.

No, I'm often on the other side of the "norm".  I realize that over here at JD, it's "the norm" to despise RS.  People trash it, call it awful, they've been saying it's "gone to hell" for years now.  Even so, I still like the place and though it's a controversial opinion around here, I still think it's the best collecting site I've ever been to.  Doesn't mean this place SUCKS...it just means I like that place better.

L.O.L.

Oh for God's sake.  ::)  Look, lately...RS has the best con coverage. I recognize that's because they have the biggest bankroll and (because of Official Pix and their booth) early access to the con that other sites just can't get.  In the past, when RS was less "connected", other sites had much better coverage.  I remember a Comic Con where JD was neck and neck with RS (and even surpassed it in many areas).  These days, they get in first and so they get the pictures up before anyone else.

Does that mean JD's coverage sucks?  No.  You guys ask the interesting questions at panels (and print the responses here).  The photos taken for this site are great too. I always check this place whenever there's a con that I'm not attending. I like reading the reviews and opinions, which are often a lot more personal than RS. I wouldn't do that if the coverage "sucked".

RS is like Wal-Mart, they have everything (more than you need) and ****** customer service.  JD is the small mom and pop shop who has only what you need with quality service.

As with WM, you can't find what you need at RS because it's too damn big and overcrowded with mostly idiots, outside of the dairy (vintage) section.

Ok, so let's go with that analogy. RS is Wal Mart. And where is the cheapest place to get a bunch of Star Wars figures?  Wal Mart.  Now, if I'm not shopping and all I want to do is go have a talk with the employees about collecting...I'm not going to Wal Mart. I'm going to the corner comic shop.  They have the guys that know stuff and they're happy to see you when you walk in the door.  A lot of times I don't find the stuff I need there, but I have a good time when I visit.

I recognize Wal Mart has it's flaws, but it's still a better resource for a collector than the little corner shop that can't match the corporate behemoth because it simply doesn't have enough customers.  The bottom line is I'm more of a "shopper" than anything else, so Wal Mart is probably is best for me.

Analogies aside...

RS classifieds are the most populated on the web. The local "Look what I found" section has helped me meet more local collectors than even my 501st Garrison has.  Considering our Garrison is obviously filled with fans, that's impressive. In the other sections, the sheer number of people that are around also helps to build my collection.  People are always linking auctions or talking about selling their stuff and I end up buying it.   These are areas that this site (and most of the others out there) simply can't match.  That's not due to quality, it's just due to traffic.     And yes, I participate in the community there, only because it's fast moving and fun sometimes. 

All those things are a fair trade-off for having to deal with dumbshits, trolls and noobs. 

I visit this place when I want to read opinions, news, or see photos I can't see other places.  I like the people here, and every once in awhile I place ads here too.  When I go to cons, JD members are the ones I always see and the first to arrange hangouts.  I've never felt the need to stop going to RS in order to be friends with you guys, and that's why I think this place is cool.
Got Clones?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3486 on: March 20, 2007, 04:27 PM »
The phrase "quantity over quality" comes to mind. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3487 on: March 20, 2007, 06:08 PM »
The phrase "quantity over quality" comes to mind. . .

Rebelscum has all the same quality the other sites have.  Go compare the photo archives to any other site's collection of pictures.  Finding info and pictures on just about any collectible out there is easy at RS.  I've already mentioned the con coverage....the classifieds, the Local sections....so what else does a Star Wars forum need to be considered "quality"?

Everyone's so judgemental about the palce because what.....there are too many people there?

That's a dumb reason to hate it.

Got Clones?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3488 on: March 20, 2007, 06:21 PM »
I do like RS's photo section.  Not that the quality of the images are any better, but they had a good setup for finding particular figures.  I have not checked it out in a while, so I don't know if they've changed it at all.

But the issues I have with RS lie directly with the forums and the management of them (or lack thereof).

You talk about the "Look what I found Section", they may have the quantity, but hell, the QUALITY is right here...you have to be a registered user to view them, keeping them virtually, scalper free.  Unlike RS where anyone can troll those threads.

The trading and Classified section over there?  I've never been much of a trader, or use the classifieds in any forum, but I've heard a lot of stories about people scalping or reneging on deals over there as compared to over here.  Again, that's because there are so many people over there and some (not all) are there to take advantage of less knowledgeable people...again due to the quantity of people over there.

Saying that RS's quality has not suffered do to the Quantity of traffic they get is beyond naive in my opinion.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3489 on: March 20, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Everyone's so judgemental about the palce because what.....there are too many people there?

Yes, that's the only reason, Josh.

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #3490 on: March 20, 2007, 06:54 PM »
The trading and Classified section over there?  I've never been much of a trader, or use the classifieds in any forum, but I've heard a lot of stories about people scalping or reneging on deals over there as compared to over here.  Again, that's because there are so many people over there and some (not all) are there to take advantage of less knowledgeable people...again due to the quantity of people over there.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't agree with JoshEEE in principle about the classifieds, because if you want to sell something on any website, that's where you'll get to the largest audience, but you bring up a good point.  Every time I list something for sale, I get a hailstorm of PMs, which I'm pretty good about responding too right away.  In the end, only about half of the people who PM me with interest I never hear from again, and it's only after I bug them that they finally respond and say, "Sorry, I'm not interested."  This is after several days have elapsed and I've missed out on other people who were potentially interested.

A community where people actually have some concept of etiquette would be nice.  Unfortunately RS's forums are not that, and haven't been that way in a long time.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3491 on: March 20, 2007, 06:56 PM »
I usually stay out of these debates but this comment left me scratching my head:

In the other sections, the sheer number of people that are around also helps to build my collection.  People are always linking auctions or talking about selling their stuff and I end up buying it.   These are areas that this site (and most of the others out there) simply can't match.  That's not due to quality, it's just due to traffic.

I don't fully understand how this makes RS better, maybe it's the way you worded everything. So what if there are people there linking to eBay auctions? People do that here, on GH, and on various other toy forums I visit. Hell, if it weren't for people here linking to eBay auctions, some of our forum members wouldn't have been able to buy the VTSC Scouts, 30AC Tin Blue Clone, etc. from that dude in China. That's helping people to build their collections, and certainly isn't a RS exclusive.

And about the collection selling... that makes no sense to me at all. Again, maybe it's the way it's worded, but your post makes it sound like RS is the only site that allows people to sell stuff from their own collection. I've browsed many a thread here with people selling items from their collections. I've even bought some stuff, and I know that there are people involved in deals here every day. Same goes for all the other toy forums I frequent, so I beg to differ when you claim that other toy forums can't compete with RS when it comes to "building your collection."

And another thing, Josh, you seem to think that EVERYONE here has a grudge against RS. That isn't true. I don't, and I'm sure there are others here who don't. But the way you come over here and only really post when we begin discussing RS issues makes me think that YOU have a grudge against JD.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3492 on: March 20, 2007, 08:00 PM »

You talk about the "Look what I found Section", they may have the quantity, but hell, the QUALITY is right here...you have to be a registered user to view them, keeping them virtually, scalper free.  Unlike RS where anyone can troll those threads.

The privacy feature is awesome, but "Look what I found" forums only work if people post to it.  I could never get anyone interested in migrating over here on a permanent basis (and man did I try).  Quantity mattered more than "quality" in this case....and that's why I stick with RS for that feature.

Same thing happens on Ebay.  Gotta be careful who you deal with, watch for feedback and only trade with people with good reputations. If they have no rep, make the new guys ship first, helps them build a rep.  That's what I do.  Bottom line is, I can post the same ad here as I do there....and 9 times out 10, I'm going to get my buyer/seller/trader there.  Quantity is what makes it quality. It's just a fact.

Now...am I saying the trading COMMUNITY over there is better?  Of course not. Some of the people I've dealt with the most over the years reside right here at JD (or hold dual memberships).  But I met em all on RS.

I usually stay out of these debates but this comment left me scratching my head:

Again, maybe it's the way it's worded, but your post makes it sound like RS is the only site that allows people to sell stuff from their own collection.

Yeah, it must be how I worded it because that wasn't even close to my point. I wasn't saying you can't do those things on other forums (of course you can), I was saying MORE people do them on RS....and when you're a buyer looking for something, MORE options are always better than less. I can't think of any exception to that rule, can you?  Sure, it's always better to trade with people you know if you can....but when I'm shopping, I want a lot of options. If I place a want ad, I like that I get a ton of offers.  You just don't get that on the smaller sites.

And another thing, Josh, you seem to think that EVERYONE here has a grudge against RS. That isn't true. I don't, and I'm sure there are others here who don't. But the way you come over here and only really post when we begin discussing RS issues makes me think that YOU have a grudge against JD.

I think the majority of regular members here have been very vocal about how much they hate Rebelscum. There are very few exceptions, and I'm one of them.  I don't have a "grudge" against JD, but I think every time people go on the rampage about how much the place sucks, how it's gone to hell and how it's completely lame....I think it's important to throw in the other perspective.  Rebelscum has some obvious problems, almost exclusively related to the fact that they have not nearly a staff to handle their membership, but other than that it's a great resource for collectors.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:02 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3493 on: March 20, 2007, 09:06 PM »
I can recall a time when I relished bashing Phillip Wise and his netly dominions on a regular basis. I can also remember going there during certain points of 2004 with the express purpose of trolling, and committing douchebaggery (a policy which, actually, was a dismal failure as I recall it). However, eventually it just became such a tired shtick and subject that I just became callous to the goings-on there. I mean, RS is just a hyperinflated collecting site with a piss-poor and vindictive management. There are plenty of equally ridiculous sites which exist in vastness of Teh Internets. Directly involving yourself on its forums without concrete causation is an exercise in insanity, and serves only to expose you to absolute anarchy, swindlers, and the überannoying pseudo-intellectualism of Wuhers.

An analogy: RS is somewhat like Iraq- an overly populated and fracas prone republic located at the epicenter of a long decayed civilization* with an ineffective, thuggish government. So long as I have access to their photoarchives for reference, and so long as they don't somehow interfere with my collecting interests, I really couldn't careless what happens there. However, displaced members of the community and "expats" certainly have justification to hold a grudge, IMO.

*Said civilization, I guess, being the one which existed during the short era of union betwenn the BHC and RS forums in 2002. Its analog being that of the Caliphates... maybe? Yeah, a stretch, ich weiß.  :P
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3494 on: March 20, 2007, 10:00 PM »
I was going to post a long, drawn out entry citing every statement made with the actual unbiased facts (I can do this because unlike "some" who have posted here, I see first-hand what really goes on behind the closed doors) but I then I realized it will fall on deaf ears to those who don't understand the grand scheme of said topic or the intricacies of this business (non-profit, of course).

So go ahead and believe that RS has pictures up first, always. Believe that sites don't steal each other's news. Continue on believing that back-stabbing, underhanded behaviors don't occur in this hobby and that everyone is a friendly competitor. Go forward believing that this large "traffic" is a blessing (without having market research on the demographics of said "traffic"). Just keep your head turned (or stuck in the sand for that matter). I simply ask that you don't come to my site and tell me how that site is some martyr. I'll give you that they have a lot of nice features, good pictures, nice coverage but if you knew any back story whatsoever it would make you sick. Or would it? I'm not so sure there are people that could care less and simply want the fastest, main stream thing and don't care how it is obtained, what was done for it and who runs it.

You have no idea.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 10:01 PM by Chris »