Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583332 times)

Offline delvec

• Youngling
  • I rule!!!- You DROOL!!!
    • View Profile
    • TheJawa.com
Re: A sign of things to come at RS?
« Reply #330 on: March 1, 2004, 10:59 AM »
You guys see this as some kinda shock-
he never cared about forums and the only reason they actually had forums came from the CSW merger.
It was a no brainer who's forums were getting used for that one. If he actually cared what people think dont ya think RS would have a chatroom too- not one created by a mod not even hosted by scum? Its not a server issue if he has 6 dedicated servers for Toy Fair coverage.

Actually for him, its a brilliant move. Its already not his major concern (hes too busy looking for the next site to buy) and if the forums would die- you guys would still go there for news, which really pays his bills in the first place.

And really the required info for his MODS really shouldnt be too farfetched. If the leaking spoiler info gets outta control, its his tail Lucas is going after and he's making sure these people may take some accountability if GL lays the hammer down.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 1, 2004, 11:12 AM »
So let me get this straight:

A mod at Rebelscum hosts a chat room.

During a recent chat, stolen Episode III images are shared.

The images get leaked to JediDefender.

JediDefender gets a slap on the wrist from Lucasfilm who starts tracking the images back to the source.

Philip (who's got a good thing going) is suddenly feeling the heat when it's learned that these stolen images came from one of his forum mods.

Consequently - like any good manager - he insists on having the personal contact info for everyone who works with him.

Am I missing anything? It seems like Philip's just covering his own ass, just like any of us might.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #332 on: March 1, 2004, 11:19 AM »
Well, I thought that too at first but it seems this demand was made before any of the JD stuff happened...seems like TFN is in a little hot water based from LFL for their Spoiler Policy

Also, he's gotta make sure someone besides him is going to take the fall for owning forums of such size...hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil

Also like Bobb said, this has been standard practice at RS for a while, he's just making it a corporate mandate
« Last Edit: March 1, 2004, 11:19 AM by OCB »

Offline delvec

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • TheJawa.com
« Reply #333 on: March 1, 2004, 11:45 AM »
So let me get this straight:

A mod at Rebelscum hosts a chat room.

During a recent chat, stolen Episode III images are shared.

The images get leaked to JediDefender.

JediDefender gets a slap on the wrist from Lucasfilm who starts tracking the images back to the source.

Philip (who's got a good thing going) is suddenly feeling the heat when it's learned that these stolen images came from one of his forum mods.

Consequently - like any good manager - he insists on having the personal contact info for everyone who works with him.

Am I missing anything? It seems like Philip's just covering his own ass, just like any of us might.
And speaking of those leaked pictures- ya might wanna see take a trip across the pond at TPU and see what they uncovered- anything catch your eye?

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 1, 2004, 01:51 PM »
Maybe someone can answer this for me. Its a question I had for a while.

1.) Is a forum that is open to the public-( no membership fee or a listed policy you agree to before entering in.) covered under free speach? Or is that site allowed to censor statements, comments or pictures that are not either swearing or unappropriate due to age related legalities ( nude pics).   Is it a private domain?

just curious.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #335 on: March 1, 2004, 02:02 PM »
It's been said repeatedly (On both sides) that Phil didn't buy CSW, I believe that because I don't see what BP had to gain in selling...

Offline delvec

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • TheJawa.com
« Reply #336 on: March 1, 2004, 02:28 PM »
He wouldnt have to deal with the headaches involved on the admin end and get a nice lil chunk change for his content- thats doesnt mean he did buy but that looks like a good reason

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #337 on: March 1, 2004, 03:15 PM »
I really don't know either besides what was said at the time of the merger...and its not really right to speculate on said matter of what might have happened behind the scenes because we don't know ??? :-\  

I am glad Mike decided to start GH, a lot of my online friends hang out there and the guys who work there are great and consider a lot of them friends too.  People rail on them for having such a small community but as they have repeatedly said that doesn't really bother them (and is the exact same thing we say)  Its the quality of said members (many of which we share) that make forums a place people want to come, not the over use of smilies and one line answers.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #338 on: March 1, 2004, 03:28 PM »
I really don't know either besides what was said at the time of the merger...and its not really right to speculate on said matter of what might have happened behind the scenes because we don't know ??? :-\  

Agreed.  Only Mike and Phillip will ever really know the facts, the rest of us are just left to speculate, and you know what happens then, you just make a "spec" out of u and late... wait?  Is that right?

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline FX-7

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 1, 2004, 03:54 PM »
I stopped going to that **** site a long time ago, not sure why people even post there...especially when you got places like here
Medical Droid Extrodinaire

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #340 on: March 1, 2004, 04:10 PM »
There appears to have definitely been some kind of new ownership issues that allowed Philip to somehow swindle the forums AND THE PICTURE ARCHIVES (and CSW name) away from Mike.  Philip screwed him, as far as I can tell...

As for the moderators having to give out their personal info, if you read through those two giant threads over at TFn, you'll see that the issue is much larger than just that.  They didn't have a problem with the request so much, as they had a problem with the way that Philip went about the whole thing.  He basically wrote their "Mod Squad" and told them to enter their personal information through a non-secure web site, that says it will be public information and could be shared, and if they didn't hand over the personal info, they'd be fired on the spot.

This includes single females, as well as underage individuals.  Philip didn't ask people to send HIM the info for his files.  That wasn't an option.  Only entering it onto this website.  Another thing that they found troubling is that many of them had been there for years and had never been asked for this information before.  It seems that there's a large "troll" issue over there, and many of the mods don't want these trolls showing up at their doorsteps, since their address could easily be obtained.

Further compounding the situation was that Philip originally wouldn't even tell them why he all of the sudden needed the info after all these years, aside from some vague reference to depositions.  Since they're all volunteer moderators, they have little interest in getting sued, or even deposed, for something related to Philip's site.

They all tried to ask Philip some more questions to try to better understand the situation, but he's refused any and all correspondence with them.  These people didn't even know who the hell Philip was until last Thursday, when he placed this demand on them.  He only has 13 posts at TFn for the history of that board, and none in almost a year.  For whatever reason, the other (minority) co-owner of TFn (Josh Griffin, I think) is refusing to chime in on the situation, despite being the guy that most of these mods consider the owner there.  Makes you wonder if he disagrees with Philip's heavy handed actions there.

So Philip refuses to speak to any of these people from what I've read, and has fired many of them now, without even listening to their side of the issue, and without so much as a thank you for their services rendered to him and his site over the years.  Completely heartless.

I haven't caught up on the threads in the past day, so maybe some things have changed during that time, but I doubt it.  Anyway, like I said, it's a lot bigger issue than just asking for their contact info.  It's about total lack of respect, communication, and appreciation for his hard-working and dedicated staff at TFn...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 1, 2004, 05:50 PM »
The day that I have to register personal information with Philip Wise is the day I tell him to kiss my ass.

I like the idea of JD, but I still post at scum because things are a little slow around here at times.  That's not to say I like scum better, there's just more to respond to.

I see myself being more and more involved with you guys here at JD than scum as time goes on.

Same here. The only personal info I give out is my email address. If he wants my personal info, then he'll lose my services.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mike Sullenger

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 1, 2004, 07:23 PM »

Agreed.  Only Mike and Phillip will ever really know the facts, the rest of us are just left to speculate, and you know what happens then, you just make a "spec" out of u and late... wait?  Is that right?

Jeff

Let’s have the speculation end. ;) Thanks to you know who for pointing this thread out.

Money was never a factor when I decided to join Rebelscum as co-owner and combine CollectStarWars.com content with theirs. I have never asked nor received any compensation from Philip Wise because this was never a business transaction. It stemmed from a more demanding work schedule during that period of time as well as a desire to create a better site by joining the two entities.

I decided to set off on my own and run my own website again, because I had a vision that I wanted to follow which differed somewhat from Rebelscum’s. I also decided that it was probably in the best interests of both parties and the community at large that I leave the forums and archives where they were, and start off fresh. As an additional gesture of goodwill, I gave the moderators the option of staying with Rebelscum or joining me at Galactic Hunter. All this in the hopes that there would be no hard feelings between Scum and myself, because in all honesty, this is just a hobby for me, and it’s not worth all the b.s. and strife that comes with web politics.

I hope that this clears everything up about the CSW/RS/GH issue. I’m very proud of what Team Galactic Hunter has accomplished during only two years of being online, and I refuse to diminish that accomplishment by dwelling on this issue.  

We have a lot to look forward to these next two years as a fan community, let’s focus on having fun with what time we have left rather than being engrossed with ugly web politics. I’m not going to comment too much on the current TFN controversy, but I will say this, Philip has invested a lot of time and money with both sites. What he decides to do with it is his discretion as a webmaster and businessman, because he’s accountable from both a legal and financial standpoint. You can disagree with what actions he decides to take, and have the ultimate freedom of choice to visit the sites you want to visit.

On a closing note, CollectStarWars.com has always belonged to me, and I alone own the domain. The URL currently redirects to Galactic Hunter.

Mike Sullenger
GalacticHunter.com

Offline DeakStarkiller

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 1, 2004, 11:03 PM »
You can disagree with what actions he decides to take, and have the ultimate freedom of choice to visit the sites you want to visit.

Exactly.  And the honorable choice to make is to visit sites run by fans , like jedidefender.com and galactichunter.com, among others.  Undoubtedly, Philip Wise puts alot of time and money into his sites--to *make* money off of all of us.  And there's nothing wrong with that--Lucasfilm makes plenty of money off of us; however, we all knew upfront that LFL was a business.  Philip is a corporate wolf in fan's clothing, and just because you're a collector, does not make you a fan .

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #344 on: March 1, 2004, 11:14 PM »
Mike, thanks much for your words...you're site is one of the best around and we're all better for what you and your staff bring to the table (especially the Swami!)

Sooo...not sure if our mod friends at RS have been following the thread at the TF.N or not but I'm curious if they've thought about what is being said at all...
Here's a Hypothetical

#1 Someone leaks pics on the Rebelscum forums of Episode 3 Figures
#2 Rebelscum is sent a Cease and Desist...they remove all of them, ban the perp and move on
#3 2 weeks later, RS's forums leak more pics, already suffering from the last blow, LFL and Hasbro sue Rebelscum and its owner for repeated discretion
#4 Phil, blames the Section moderator and passes said buck to the sorry sap who was working or sleeping at the time, saying it was this guy or gals fault for not catching the spoilers and doing their job.  Oh and by the way, here's their address

Now, I think that is really farfetched, the relationship between the two entities is pretty solid and they would have to blatently and chronically disobey the rules but I can see what the Mods at TF.N are saying.

They are never going to require Users to send in any info...you're doing stuff you're not supposed to be, they'll contact your ISP and set the record straight