Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583306 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Everything Rebelscum
« Reply #3945 on: September 17, 2011, 09:18 PM »
At least they clearly and thoroughly explained their entire thought process behind their decision.

Oh wait, they didn't.

I will never cease to marvel at the irony of the biggest site being the worst. (Really, in every possible way)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3946 on: September 18, 2011, 12:07 AM »
And now you know why I left that forum over 6 years ago.

The only reason I ever go there is because they have the best, most organized photo archive of any site.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: September 18, 2011, 12:33 AM »
I writing a Star Wars collection program that will screen scrap RebelScum's photo archive. It will automatically add that data to your item's record. (including the picture)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: September 18, 2011, 02:36 AM »
Well crap, there goes any chance of me being able to edit my drunken 4 AM posts the next day :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: September 18, 2011, 11:55 AM »
That seems entirely stupid.  Why on earth would something like that need to be locked down?

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: September 18, 2011, 07:29 PM »
I hate everything RS, but considering the maturity level of the average RS poster, I wonder if there has been too much trash-talking, and when one member complains to the mods, the offending poster was just editing his/her comments to avoid being bounced from the forum.

So they have decided that you can only take back your nasty words for 2 days, after that, it's carved in stone and if you're gonna get in trouble for it, then so be it.

Maybe they are aware of the reputation the forum has and they're hoping that this lock-down approach will help clean things up a bit.

I love how in the thread, one of the posters is like "we have the right to blah blah blah" and the moderator's response to that was like "let's not get into what rights you have on our board" - hehe nice!

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:29 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3951 on: September 19, 2011, 01:59 PM »
That's a possibility Pete, for sure.

I've always said though, they were always too busy worrying about who offended them personally, and not about who was actually breaking their forum rules, and if they actually gave a **** about enforcing anything there, half their membership would be banned.

They have guys scalping pretty freely on their boards anymore from what I hear, and they always had people hurling insults back and forth unchecked till Geg(g) just decided to lock the whole thread down instead of actually taking some action against the people who needed to be simply banned for not listening.  There are a ton of pricks hanging around there that simply shouldn't be allowed on any forum.  They just don't have the personality to interact with others civily.  It's a big reason I left a LONG time ago for here, and it's only steadily gone downhill since.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: September 19, 2011, 02:26 PM »
That's a possibility Pete, for sure.

They have guys scalping pretty freely on their boards anymore from what I hear, and they always had people hurling insults back and forth unchecked till Geg(g) just decided to lock the whole thread down instead of actually taking some action against the people who needed to be simply banned for not listening. 

Ironically, Greg(g) is the case that come to mind when I was thinking of why they might want to do this.  When he (Bounty Hunter GNT) was a memeber at the BHC forums, he went through every post he had made (which was a LOT) and edited them all to a only a ".".  Caused a little chaos.

This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: September 19, 2011, 02:29 PM »
These little power kicks are a gas.  Has anyone listed any useful or logical reason to lock down edits to a post?  Anything?  I don't even buy into the trash talking...if someone is trash talking, realizes they were too heated, and wants to change it then A.) good for them for calming down and being more civil and B.) wouldn't that probably happen within two days anyway? 

The ONLY "benefit" I can see here (and not even sure if it is one) is that it should increase their post rate.  If you posted something about a trade list or a collection of yours, then wanted to add or change it a week later, you now need to make a new post instead of just editing.  I think sponsors on pay for purchases, right?  Does RS get any kind of kickback or advantage out of an increasing number of posts?  I'm not sure how click rate is applied to sites like this, but like others, I'm glad I ditched RS years ago.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #3954 on: September 19, 2011, 02:55 PM »
It might have to do with their search index.  They were saying the index they generated was already massive.  Locking down posts after two days would ensure they wouldn't need to re-index them.

Not that I understand why they're creating an index to search against anyway...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: September 19, 2011, 03:14 PM »
It might have to do with their search index.  They were saying the index they generated was already massive.  Locking down posts after two days would ensure they wouldn't need to re-index them.

Not that I understand why they're creating an index to search against anyway...

....and MORE posts caused by the inability to edit would mean their search index has to look through even more posts...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3956 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32 PM »
I have a newfound appreciation for the way JD handles the boards for the older lines after looking at this:

Seriously, Pappy, make that older **** collapsible already.

(P.S. I still miss you, Sergiu.  :-[
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3957 on: September 19, 2011, 03:49 PM »
Good point, name.  I'd forgotten his "." phase...  What a fucko.

Beyond that I'm not seeing any logic to this, but again, I've never seen logic to anything that's gone on there really.

And yes, they need to make a mess like that collapsable.  Even there, are many people posting about the E1 line, or Saga 2002?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #3958 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Good point, name.  I'd forgotten his "." phase...  What a fucko.

Was it a phase, or was it just his unique way of rage-quitting the boards after everybody made fun of his definition of "tumbleweed?"

(It's too bad the GH forums have **** the bed, by the way.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3959 on: September 19, 2011, 08:50 PM »
I'd forgotten about all this stuff...  It makes me laugh as any of it gets brought back up like something you just couldn't digest fully.  All the Greg(g) stuff, Bertha...  I bet she's still around, and I bet not one thing has changed.

I'm having so many blue/brown coat flashbacks too.  That was epic.  Fleet Trooper debating...  For me that was epic.  Good times since it made you realize, "This is so dumb, I'm going to just walk away from it".

It still amazes me though, all the problems they can't wrangle in, and they are more agitated with the people who question their authority/reasoning...  Don't sweat the big ****, let's just worry about the guys that ask too many questions.