Author Topic: Everything Rebelscum  (Read 583246 times)

Offline Sems Fir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • www.behindthetoys.com
Re: The Scum continues it's downward spiral
« Reply #690 on: October 15, 2004, 11:19 PM »
Bob Crane wrote:

"it's queer how most people pin-point Wuher’s as the root of evil there, I feel that the hallowed vintage section is by far the most distraught, RS would be a lot better off without half the bizarre personalities that hang in there- “tight knight community” my ass."

SemsFir writes:

The readers that post in the vintage forum at RS can in a way be considered more cautious due to events that unfold from time to time in the vintage section (such as the Albert soap opera for example).  While you feel that a segment of the vintage community is made up of "bizarre personalities" the same can be stated for every public forum on the world wide web.  Is the vintage community tight - knit?  I'd have to answer yes.  While disagreements do happen amongst the vintage community, the vintage community watches out for each other (for example to help prevent fellow collectors from getting scammed), and when new information comes forward about a particular subject, knowledge is generally shared.  So, yes the vintage community is tight - knit.

Bob Crane wrote:

"those people are really just much too childish to give me a meaningful opinion"

SemsFir writes:

If you have a question about collecting Star Wars especially action figures and toys created by Kenner and Hasbro there are numerous knowledgeable collectors that post in the vintage forum section of RS, and in some cases their knowledge is very meaningful.  In certain situations I'd rather have a meaningful opinion from a knowledgeable collector of a particular subject, then fly blindly into the storm.  

Robert
www.behindthetoys.com
Lead Editor
BLACK S. U. N.

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 15, 2004, 11:31 PM »
Yah, yah... sure, sure.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #692 on: October 15, 2004, 11:38 PM »
Well, 'Scums vintage forum can be a little intimidating to a lot of folks.  I tend to think the "inner circle" of guys (the TRG/Archive crowd) are definitely tight-knit and obviously the most knowledgeable in the world on the subject matter.  I think most of them are pretty good guys too.

But there's also a lot of other folks who collect the vintage line, but just on a more casual basis - like just the regular figures.  But their knowledge, and sometimes questions/thoughts, are rather elementary compared to the stuff the diehards get into.  So you've got two rather distinct subsets within the vintage realm, which really aren't meant to blend together so much.  It's like trying to merge an advanced calculus class full of students with a pre-algebra class.  Rather tricky.

I kinda think of the serious vintage guys as the Varsity team, while most of the rest of us more casual vintage collectors are on the freshman/sophmore team.  I'm sure if a freshman got stuck with the varsity guys, he might come off as rather annoying, untalented, incapable, uninformed, uncoached.  But hopefully with a little patience, the varsity guys can usually do some general coaching of the youngin' to get him into better vintage collecting shape.

Anyway, enough of the analogies.  There should just be two different vintage forums over there:  Basic Vintage ("Vintage for Dummies"), and Avid Vintage (the professionals).   ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #693 on: October 15, 2004, 11:44 PM »
Gotcha

You okeoke Abdyr inoarticykar do noot seem to adnit the don't know how long I have had some of then in my collectuion what I oaid fir

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #694 on: October 16, 2004, 12:04 AM »
Even though I've got a half-decent vintage collection, I never posted a single time (that I can remember) in Rebelscum's Vintage boards... I was definately intimidated. I even keep my mouth shut in JD's Vintage board, for the most part.

:-\

Offline Vote for Chewbacca the Wookiee

• Youngling
  • If you haven't seen me before, I'm new to you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 17, 2004, 05:39 AM »
ah, fantastic. i should hang around here more often.
Same story here.
"The truths we cling to depend greatly on our pwn point of view." - Ben Kenobi
Appearing for the first time anywhere outside of Rebelscum, Chewbacca the...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 21, 2004, 12:07 AM »
I just went over to the 'scum forums for the first time in a while...what a **** hole that place has turned into! One guy (the infamous General Windu) is bitching about the Dannik Jeriko figure and cursing out Hasbro over and over. what the hell is wrong with the Dannik figure? The worst thing is that he's not the exception over there.

Then you've got Gregg and his jackass useless comments every few posts. How long will it be until he is the only person posting on those forums?

Glad to have the JD forums.  8)

This link takes you to a page that illustrates the futility of trying to follow/contribute at RS.

I found the part where other people snipe your letters while you work the most amusing. I quickly turned to the dark side of taking other peoples letters because it was sooooo much more fun. Actually laughed out loud while doing it for about 15 minutes, then left.

Just like RS. ;)

http://www.flashcomguru.com/apps/letters/
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 21, 2004, 12:40 AM »
Speaking of the downward spiral...they're calling my name again for the Mod thing...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #698 on: October 21, 2004, 12:53 AM »
I just went over to the 'scum forums for the first time in a while...what a **** hole that place has turned into! One guy (the infamous General Windu) is bitching about the Dannik Jeriko figure and cursing out Hasbro over and over. what the hell is wrong with the Dannik figure? The worst thing is that he's not the exception over there.

Then you've got Gregg and his jackass useless comments every few posts. How long will it be until he is the only person posting on those forums?

Glad to have the JD forums.  8)

This link takes you to a page that illustrates the futility of trying to follow/contribute at RS.

I found the part where other people snipe your letters while you work the most amusing. I quickly turned to the dark side of taking other peoples letters because it was sooooo much more fun. Actually laughed out loud while doing it for about 15 minutes, then left.

Just like RS. ;)

http://www.flashcomguru.com/apps/letters/

hahaha that site was fun to mess with, and its a great description of the futility of having an mature conversation at most parts of the scum

kbz: become a mod just so you can  ban all the other mods one nite and cause chaos by posting **** all over the place :)
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #699 on: October 21, 2004, 01:03 AM »
kbz: become a mod just so you can  ban all the other mods one nite and cause chaos by posting **** all over the place :)

Isn't that what already happens over there though, Jas?   :P

Just seems like the current mods over there haven't been paying much attention of late.  Place has gone to **** (even moreso than usual) since Josh and Rob stepped down...

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #700 on: October 21, 2004, 01:17 AM »

Isn't that what already happens over there though, Jas?   :P

Just seems like the current mods over there haven't been paying much attention of late.  Place has gone to **** (even moreso than usual) since Josh and Rob stepped down...

Matt yeah exactly, but it happening from the inside is pure comedic gold dontcha think? :)

If as of late you mean the situation that started this thread with that cockknocker going all nutty on wuhers, i can see how that can get by the mods, they dont necessarily have to live there, though GNT surely once did. If its the other ****, like the whining, bitching, moaning, fighting, well that **** has been that way ever since the original BHC mods left when GH was formed, and nothing is ever going to change that.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: October 21, 2004, 10:24 AM »
I'm kinda feeling like I should do it.  I've been over there for almost 3 years now - it might be time to chip in....  I'm at a computer during the day time and can at least keep an eye on things...  Besides, they're all calling my name... I'd love to be able to tell Rocket Fett that he's got to knock it off from a position of message board authority when he comes trolling every fourth or fifth month...

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 21, 2004, 11:44 AM »
I think you should go for it Rob. There isn't anyone else over there right now that I think is worthy besides you, and Lord knows they need all the help they can get.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: October 21, 2004, 12:33 PM »
Yeah - I'm thinking I'll give it a try...

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #704 on: October 21, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Good luck with that. It looks pretty thankless, but you should do a good job.