Author Topic: What brand and model of camera does everyone use?  (Read 11694 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: What brand and model of camera does everyone use?
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I use a Vivitar Vivicam5385 5 Mega Pixel. And I've been really happy with it so far. The only thing that bugs me about it is how quickly it eats through batteries when it is plugged into the computer.

DARKLORD's Photo Tutorial

Sorry for the link to the other site. That is a really a great tutorial though.

"This is the way."

Offline Outrider

• Jedi Initiate
  • IMPS RULE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I use a fujifilm FinePIx s5000.  I like it 'cuz the zoom feature can get nice tight shots and close ups etc. 
NOTE TO HASBRO,
SA JANGO would sell quite well!

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I'm currently using a Canon Powershot SD500.  It is the best point and shoot digital camera I've had (and I'm onto my third one).  The key for taking pictures of customs is good lighting and "Macro" mode setting.  On the camera, it looks like the Flower Icon.

This is what I ended up getting. I agree with you, except my model is A530. The detail on the macro seting is unbelievable. When I open it up (tomorrow) except a rather large update to my thread.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2006, 11:16 PM »
Well, there isn't much that i could add that hasn't been covered in DARKLORD's Photo Tutorial - it's just a shame that it's on that other site... but I digress  :P (Thanks to Ryan for pointing us back to that. I remember reading it when he first posted it, and I'm almost positive that he posted it here somewhere, too. Then again, I'm old and I may be mistaken)

I will try and get some kind of tutorial/article written up about building a "proper" lightbox type setup for taking the best photos possible. Like I said before, just take a look at our image database - Jared takes some of the best photos out there. As a matter of fact, I'll see if I can get him to write something.

One thing I wanted to point out about my earlier post. I didn't mean to imply that buying a good or expensive camera is a waste of money or anything like that. I just meant that if you give a crappy photographer a great camera, you're still gonna get crappy photos, and if you give a great photographer a crappy camera, you're probably still gonna get great photos. It's not all about the camera, especially when you're dealing with the internet. Now taking photos for print, that's a whole other story.

Offline findswoman

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • The Findswoman Collection
« Reply #19 on: May 7, 2006, 08:12 PM »
I have a Canon Digital Elph SD10, and I've been very happy with it.  I got it especially for custom photography because it's got a really nice Macro mode -- you can get an excellent photo just a few inches away -- but unfortunately it has no optical zoom capability to speak of.  (Which is all right, because my husband has a big ol' EOS Rebel that can do all that sort of thing.)  It is very compact, though, and great for general snapshots. 

The SD10 was by way of being the iPod of digital cameras, as it came in four colors: silver, bronze, mother-of-pearl, and black.  I would have gotten the bronze but the Mr. wouldn't let me, so I have the black one, which is just as nice.  :)

... the Findswoman

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 7, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Here's a picture of a very simple yet effective lightbox style setup. Just some foamcore taped together to form a 3 panel box, with another piece placed above the others. This helps to keep the light inside the box. The paper used for the background can be just about any kind of constuction paper, as long as it's big enough so you don't see the foamcore behind it.

I'm trying to get Jared to write up a more detailed explanation, and maybe some new photos since this one is actually old. But here's what he had to say about this lightbox above:

I bought white presentation board (foam core) from Staples, cut it into three equal sized pieces, and used white duct tape to hinge them together in a gatefold, so it can be stored flat. I used a forth piece that rests on top, with a slot cut into it for a standard workshop florescent light to shine directly down from.

The background paper is taped to the back of the foam core at the top, and to the table at the bottom.

I have two cheap-ass Walmart desk lamps with the twisty metal shafts which sit in front of the box with their lights aimed towards the sides of the box. The bulbs are the coiled white florescent ones. Beware of ones with “natural” light – they make everything yellow.

Hope this helps you guys start taking better pictures, if you want to/need to. And I'll see if Jared has any more information.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 8, 2006, 12:12 PM »
That setup with the lamps is a nice idea.

:)

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #22 on: May 8, 2006, 05:32 PM »
I use a Nikon D70.  Yes it is expensive, but I have already killed 2 'consumer' point & shoots at around 5000 pictures each (seems most consumer digicams die around here).  My D70 is rated in excess of 50,000.  I usually shoot with my 18-70mm lens, but has sometimes used my 70-300 lens (I don't have a macro lens yet!).

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 8, 2006, 05:57 PM »
I really like that camera box set-up.  I may be making one of those.  I wonder how much influence there is on the size of the box.  I'm thinking for the diorama and photonovel makers, you may need a pretty big light box.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 9, 2006, 10:45 PM »
Yeah, I would say with dioramas and photo novels that you would pretty much have to work the box around your subject on a picture by picture basis. Which shouldn't be too hard, foamcore is fairly inexpensive, and you wouldn't be permanantly fusing it together, just a few pieces of masking tape and such, so you could easily take it apart and re-use the pieces, adding more or less each time depending on the size of the piece. The only thing you may need to do is to add another lamp or two, again depending on how big the subject would be.

Offline Jedi_Assassin

• Jedi Initiate
  • My people are dead, I shall have revenge.
    • View Profile
    • My Xanga
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Yeah, talk about reviving and old thread...
I'm purchasing a new digital camera Friday and am wondering if I should wait to get a better one. I'm getting a Kodak EasyShare C530 5MP. Is this good enough for taking close ups on customs and shots on my photonovel? I really don't like reviving such a dead thread, but you guys (and girls) take such great shots, I'd like your opinion.

Thank you so much,
Ross

Offline Darth Depressis

• Jedi Padawan
  • i've never seen garbage eat garbage before
    • View Profile
    • http://swfanon.wikia.com/wiki/User:Darth_Depressis
« Reply #26 on: October 6, 2006, 10:48 AM »
i use a Sony digital Handycam DCR TRV830, it was really kool when i got it, but as time goes on it continues to become a dinosaur. it takes alot of effort to get OK shots with this thing, so i don't suggest a still/camcorder combo for PN's. defently planning to get a newer cam soon.