Author Topic: General Casting Questions  (Read 30081 times)

Offline mastermatt24

• Youngling
  • Im a Dude!
    • View Profile
Re: casting ?
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2005, 06:46 PM »
Paranoid parents...they provide many a difficulty...
Your tellin me...  I just had to shut down the paypal account (LOOOOng story) :-[

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
General Casting Questions
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2006, 10:26 AM »
Glassman, you are truly awesome at casting!  I just gotta say that.  I've been meandering through the different posts I've missed since posting here semi-regularly (about 5 months ago) and saw all your awesome work. 
Am I missing something though?  I could have sworn I saw a guide or walkthrough on your casting techniques on here.  Can you please direct me to it?

What I'm really interested in is how you cast halves and then put them together.  I'm not sure if its in the guide or not. 

Thanks man!
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
Re: Casting guide?
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I must have missed that one as well... I've been dying to learn how to cast with the silicon molds the way Glassman6 does. Please help us out Oh grand Master of the Cast! ;)
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I am making a tutorial of the way I do it. It is different than his, but it works very well. The problem is that it only works for heads and helmets.

Offline Kit Fisto

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Tell your people to take shelter."
    • View Profile
    • Sofie and Jeffreys' Art/Custom Database
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2006, 12:01 PM »
Cool!! Im' interested, keep us posted ok?
"You're right! The Wu-Tang and the Shaolin could be dangerous!!"

My Website

Me on Ebay

Offline babyjawa

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2006, 12:12 PM »
It might take a while with all of the money going into action figures right now, but I will try my best to do it.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #21 on: April 5, 2006, 12:28 PM »
Here one i did, back in December. Since the focus was an Comic/animated figure i posted it at Fwooshnet & IronCow.

Here is the link.

Hope it helps. By the way, this is just how i do it, not the only way to do it.
Also, i learned this, didnt make it up, i was just sharing learned info.

Hope it helps guys.

G

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #22 on: April 5, 2006, 01:15 PM »
thanks a ton!
www.coreplanets.com

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Casting Questions
« Reply #23 on: April 5, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Sorry about all the posts, but these are things that've been on my mind and needed to be asked. 

How do you all (that cast) cast a torso that splits apart?  I guess what I need to know is how you get all the parts to cast that are on the inside that hold the waist, arms, and head in place?  I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

Thank you!
www.coreplanets.com

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Other 2-part mold ingredients?
« Reply #24 on: April 5, 2006, 05:13 PM »
I guess we're all in the dark then, huh?  :)

Ok, well let me ask this.  I'm wanting to do the toy-part mold just like Glassman does in his tutorial on the iron-cow prod site.  Is there any alternative to using the silicone rubber to make the mold, something extreme like sculpy, plumbers putty, or something like that?  Or maybe plaster of paris?

I just didnt know if maybe the resin would rip up the other stuff when you go to pull it off.

www.coreplanets.com

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Re: casting halves
« Reply #25 on: April 5, 2006, 05:40 PM »
Hi there,

OK, here is the run down on the torsol casting... you have to seperate the original torsol apart in order to cast both halves. You are actually making two molds, on for each half of the body. Almost nobody does this because the way that the halves are sealed. They are sonicly welded together, so the only way to seperate them is to cut them apart which in most cases destroys the body. What Glassman6, Bantha5 and my self do is make a two part mold of the body halves together. Now for those who do want to cast two halves, there are at least two safe ways to go about it. One way is to brush in the plastice resin into the mold in stages, causing a shell. The more palstic you put in, the thicker the shell. Once you have the desired thickness, clean the halves, place the limbs and head and glue the halves together. The other method is to pour liquid wax into the mold all the way to the edge. Let it cool and then put the two halves together. If they do not fit, shave off the excess until they fit. Now with a wax pen, start carving out the wax to hollow it out. Using old model kits, find a male and female peg that would make the locking mechanism. Fit the two halves again for one last alignment check and then make a new mold of the wax casting. From here you will make the plastic cast and then reassemble the  figure. In either case, you are looking at a very labor intensive project and you probable only want to do a few important customs to venture into such a costly and time consumming project. This is a professional level stage of toy production and is normally way to advance for the casual hobbiest. But, if you have the time and money to invest into this area of toy production, you could turn out professional looking customs.

I hope this will help you and any others out there that maybe thinking about doing this.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Re: casting halves
« Reply #26 on: April 6, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Man, that sounds WAAAY beyond my range right now and even if I were at your level, it sounds like too much work. 

The way you all do it sounds much more to my liking.  Just curious though as to how you get the arms, head, and waist back into the holes if its all put together when it is cast?

Thanks for the help Ben!
www.coreplanets.com

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Sound Good?
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Hi all
I am getting ready to start my first 3-3/4" mold and casting project.  I'll tell you what I have, and please let me know if it sounds ok to you to use.

To make the mold, I'm using Plaster of Paris.  For the casting, I've currently got Castin' Craft liquid resin and catalyst. 

I will be using Glassman's techniques he used on his wife/witchblade custom figure located here:
http://www.ironcowprod.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=319

I'm very seriously thinking of buying Polytek's Easyflo 60 to use as the casting matieral.  It seems you get the most for your money here ($43.35 includes shipping for 3.8 Lbs.
www.coreplanets.com

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
Re: Sound Good?
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 03:49 PM »
The mold stuff, will give you problems.
One, it will deteriorate with each re-use. Plus its rigid. So de-molding wont be easy.

Take the plunge and order some RTV rubber. The flexibility is great and demolding is easy.

Pretty much any of the casting supplies you buy in the stores are troublemakers and you will end up
not liking it and it will end up sitting there.

Offline tykrazen

• Jedi Initiate
  • Spitting llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Jawa Junkpile Customs @theJawa.com
Re: Sound Good?
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 04:13 PM »
Yes... to Glassman you must listen...

Seriously, he is right -- Plaster of Paris will be horrible to work with.  Invest the money in the RTV rubber.