Author Topic: General Casting Questions  (Read 30087 times)

Offline Ner_vod

• Jedi Initiate
  • HAHA!
    • View Profile
Re: Sculpting/Casting
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2006, 09:52 PM »
thanx for the advice!  ;)

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Re: Casting Questions
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 11:58 PM »
dang, I just cant shake it!  I want to learn molding and casting so bad still!  I may end up just getting this and trying.  Hell, its only money....  :)
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 11:59 PM »
I cant remember if anyone answered this or not, but what was the drawbacks on that castin craft resin stuff anyways?
And one stupid question.  Is resin just another term for liquid plastic?  THanks!
www.coreplanets.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: May 2, 2006, 04:43 AM »
More or less the castin' craft stuff is just low quality.  I've not used it a lot, just some, and the cured casts are not on par with higher quality casting materials.  Generally when something's cheaper, the quality is cheaper as the end result.

As far as resin, it is more or less liquid plastic...  Resins aren't plastics, they're not the same materials, dont' share the same properties, etc...  The plastic Hasbro uses are injection molding plastics that start as little pellets that are heated, and shot into steel molds.  Different bird, different chemical properties and things...  Just different.

But resins are very similar to plastics.  Sometimes referred to as plastics but they are different in some ways too...  Easier to work with in small doses is one of their major differences...  I have had some experience working in plastics based industry and friends in the broader industry as well as in toys, and there are differences and such.

It should be noted too, resin is a harmful chemical...  make no mistake.  I know people who've handled and worked with resin all their lives.  It's not something to just tink with lightly.  Use safety stuff.  I suggest working with surgical gloves when you work with it...  When sanding resin items, they create REALLY fine dust particles that are incredibly harmful too...  Generally it's people working in really large doses of this stuff over years and stuff, but still be cautious.  I've heard of resins being the cause of long-term health issues because of mishandling, routine skin contact, etc... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006, 11:28 AM »
I've received my casting and molding supplies in the mail now.  I think I'm already to start!
I was wondering, can I buy some of those little plastic syringes, like the ones that come in medicine bottles sometimes or with baby medicine, and use those (1 for each part a and b) to extract the casting liquid, then put it into the cups?  That way I get equal amounts.  But if I do this, can I wash them out and reuse them?

Oh, and should I wear rubber gloves when doing the molding and casting?

Thanks! 
www.coreplanets.com

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2006, 01:48 PM »
Yes you should wear golves, or be near a sink so you can instantly wash your hands of any resin/plastics that touch your skin.

Secondly, Targe pharmacy. Just walk up to the desk and ask for their plastic syringe.
They hand them out to people to inject insulin.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Are they free?

Where do you get a decent number of medicine cups for measuring?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I pick up extra medicine cups at my local gym.  They have tons of them setting out for the mouthwash, etc.  I'm sure you can buy them in huge bulk at medical supplies stores.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2006, 04:34 PM »
in the gym!? 
so, can you wash these out and reuse them?  (the syringes)
www.coreplanets.com

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2006, 04:47 PM »
in the gym!? 
so, can you wash these out and reuse them?  (the syringes)

Let me clarify.  First I'm talking about disposable medicine cups (not syringes).  They have these in the lockerroom for mouthwash, etc.  My gym has supplies for getting ready (shaving cream, combs, hairspray, mouthwash, handlotion, etc). 

I actually do almost all of my mixing using these cups and casting using these cups.  Here is an example photo:

It shows a mold attached to a popsicle stick suspended in a cup that is filled with silicone.  I followed one of the tutorials at FFURG to make this mold.  It resulted in this casted head:

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006, 05:33 PM »
ah, ok!  :)
anyone, where does one find cheaper color-tints for the casting to change colors?  I looked on smooth-on and they want 11 bucks each.  Is there anything cheaper that will do the same?  How about dripping in some paint?
www.coreplanets.com

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Maybe some cheapo food dye? I can't imagine it being more than a buck or two for a couple small bottles of Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow together. Even less if the dollar store carries them.

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Never used food coloring myself, but Micro-mark has a set of 7 pigments for 33 dollars + shipping.  That or buy individual colors for $6.30 + shipping.  I've used the blue, and it works great.  It only takes a tiny bit to achieve a solid color, so it lasts a while.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 10:06 AM »
Phruby, yes the target syringes are free.

Ditto to what Ruprecht said, I use micro marks.
But you can go to home depot and get their "OIL BASED" paint pigments.... NOT WATER BASED... ONLY OIL BASED!!

They cost about $2each an you can test adding these to your mix.  I did a few times, but after going with micro mark, i never went back to them.

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Re: General Casting Questions
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2006, 11:03 AM »
Got a question for you casters out there.
Is there a trick to pouring your resin into each half of the rubber mold and NOT having it run out when you put the top onto the bottom?  Should I let it start curing a little before I put the two halves together?  For instance, I made a 2 part mold of a head the other night.  Poured the resin into each half of the rubber mold.  Put them together and as I was doing this, it seemed it 1/4 of it leaked out, I think because its liquidy.  The result was a big divit where the back of his head would be. 
www.coreplanets.com