Author Topic: Upcoming SW Live-Action TV Show Discussion!  (Read 65941 times)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming SW Live-Action TV Show Discussion!
« Reply #120 on: June 7, 2012, 01:35 AM »
If the series ever even gets made.  They can say "it's like this and like that" all they want but they have not even started casting or filmsin.  Yeah, they have "scripts" that will be changed a bazillion times until they finally start on this thing.  I don't hang on much of anything that Rick says. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 8, 2012, 09:42 AM »
I find it funny they say each of the scripts is costing the same as a feature length movie. Why? Are they so ladden in CG that the entire budget is taken up by that? What we need is great stories not huge special effects. It is entirely possible to do a sci-fi show with a small budget if you have a story. Look at the Star Trek series or Firefly or Doctor Who or BSG. They were successful without huge movie like budgets why can't Star Wars do that? If they are going to use virtual sets, why not do it like Santuary did? They used virtual sets but didn't have a huge budget.

If Lucas's excuse for not doing this show right now is because is costs too much then he needs to come up with better scripts that rely more on story and less on CG. Maybe he needs to outsource ILM?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 8, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Part of this likely stems from the fact that until/unless they partner with a major studio, LFL is on the hook for all the costs.  While LFL is big, they are not big like Fox or Paramount or one of those other mega-conglomerates.

And we see what happens to quality SF when the costs get too high for even the big players (we miss you Firefly and Terminator:TSCC).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 8, 2012, 06:31 PM »
Too many special effects and not enough audience means early cancellation. I'm looking at you Terra Nova.

I agree. Without a major studio behind them, Star Wars on tv will never happen. Lucus burned too many bridges in the last 35 years to get someone other than Disney to do it.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2012, 06:33 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Star Wars has the benefit of a brand recognition that's tough to match.  I mean, we're STILL talking about it 35 years after the release of the first film.  The only other franchise that has had that kind of longevity is James Bond.

Rick McCallum really hasn't been saying anything crazy about what's holding up the show.  Simply put, it's money.  And advertising money in TV is down because of both the economy and the dillution of the audience by cable TV, Direct TV and services like NetFlix.  Disney might be the right fit if the show can get onto the ABC television network.  That might lead to big enough ad revenues that could cover production budgets of $5 million per episode.  But other networks could make just as much sense.  NBC Universal brings together the resources of a film studio, a broadcast network and multiple cable properties.  If they could set up a schedule where the episode premieres on NBC, and then it has repeat airings on a network like SyFy, they might be able to generate enough ad revenue to make this show happen.

And then there's the creative control issue.  McCallum has said that HBO would probably sign on for the show, but the degree of creative control and show ownership that HBO wants is a deal breaker.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2012, 09:28 AM »
Netflix is starting to do original shows now. Maybe they would grab it?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2013, 07:54 PM »
It appears that Disney's acquisition of Star Wars and it's related properties may breathe some life into the dormant live action TV series.  No word in the article about how Rick McCallum's departure will affect the project, which he had been heading up for LFL.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2013, 08:07 PM »
I read from someone in the know that McCallum's departure has had a major impact on the series moving forward.  It might now, actually be decent.  Till that point, all expectations had been somewhere between 21 Jump Street, and Family Ties just after the family had Andrew and Tina Yothers got older and wasn't really cute anymore.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2013, 08:20 AM »
It's never going to happen. I said that 8 years ago and have yet to suspect otherwise.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2013, 08:49 AM »
This was my favorite part of the EW article:

"Cartoon Network’s popular and innovative animated title The Clone Wars will likely shift to XD after its current deal expires."

See, it says right there it is still popular. Take that Bainbridge scholars, er...Hasbro!

I assume they are talking about syndication there, but it would be nice to imagine that the show might actually continue its run of new episodes post-Cartoon Network. I believe the contract is up after this season?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2013, 05:55 PM »

I assume they are talking about syndication there, but it would be nice to imagine that the show might actually continue its run of new episodes post-Cartoon Network. I believe the contract is up after this season?

I believe it says in the article that the Clone Wars has always been on a year to year contract with CN. I am still surprised we don't have word on season six one way or another by now. I would think they would have to be doing story boards and initial artwork at least by this point if it was a go. If not, would they not have leaked that by now? As hit and miss as some of the episodes are, I love the show and hope it stays on at least until Episode 7 arrives.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #131 on: August 5, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 5, 2013, 04:25 PM »
ABC still interested...

If Disney owns SW, and Disney owns ABC, WTF does anyone have to "negotiate" anything? Just get it done.

I run into this all the time at my company, we have to bid on contracts for companies WE ALREADY OWN. What's the point?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #133 on: August 5, 2013, 07:01 PM »
Everybody has their own budgets and goals that must be met.  Even interdepartmental budgets within small companies can coexist with a bit of friction and negotiating.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 6, 2013, 10:55 AM »
After the SHIELD series underperforms, the interest will go away.