Author Topic: Who else loves their Episode One collection?  (Read 4157 times)

obi_robz

Who else loves their Episode One collection?
« on: June 2, 2003, 11:50 AM »
Hi ppl,

I was dusting off my Episode One figures this past week (so I could take some pictures of them) when it became clear to me, perhaps for the first time, how much I really love this particular line.

At the time they first came out, it was so hard to track most of them down (living in the UK, anyway), that all my energies were spent just searching them out and trying to complete my collection. I realised that I never really stopped and took the time to appreciate them properly.

Looking at them again, I really like their sensible stances, the fact that they come with a chip that can be used as a stand, the variety of characters, aliens, droids on offer, and the level of detail put into some of them.

Did the movie (TPM) put you off the figures or did you still enjoy them simply as figures regardless? Do you like the line better than when it first came out? Perhaps compared to the Saga line’s “action features”, excessive accessories ( :) ), and legs-akimbo poses, you now look back on you Episode One figures with renewed affection?

What are your favourite figures from the line and are there any that you’ve grown to like, that at first you didn’t find too interesting?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to start a discussion :)

Rob.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Who else loves their Episode One collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2003, 04:05 PM »
I, too, really liked the EP1 line.  It's what made me into a die-hard collector of Star Wars toys.  Before that I would only buy an occassional figure or two, but after EP1 came out I was out trying to buy every single figure that was out on pegs (even figures that I didn't care for).  The only thing I really didn't get at the time was the vehicles.  The only vehicles I ever bought back then was Sebulba's Podracer and Darth Maul with his Speeder.
dustrho

Offline sp00ky

• Jedi Initiate
  • Scott McKenzie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2003, 08:59 PM »
I love EP1 for the fact tht $1.24 figures got me back into collecting again for the first time since I stopped playing with my toys..

Well I still kinda play with them ;)

I also love the sculpt, the remind me a lot of the vintage figures, no action poses, no wierd stnces that result in nothing but figures constantly falling over!!

The one thing that don't like about the line is the fact that I am still looking for some of those HTF figs..

Can we all say Holo Sidious, Sio Bibble, TC-14 etc. etc. etc.

All in all, EP! rocks if you ask me, the figures that is.  The movie is cool for the most part too..

Scott
The space left intentionally blank.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2003, 09:17 PM »
I also love the sculpt, the remind me a lot of the vintage figures, no action poses, no wierd stnces that result in nothing but figures constantly falling over!!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I love the EP1 figures.  I can't stand all the different figures out there that have action poses.  I would much rather have figures standing in the "attention" pose.  It's better that way for army building.
dustrho

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2003, 03:34 PM »
I really like it.  There were a lot of great figures in that line.  Some duds, but that's always the way.  And the great thing is I got most of it for 90% off.   ;D

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 7, 2003, 06:49 AM »
I think the line had a lot of duds, and too many versions of the main characters.  It was a pretty decent line though because it started out with Obi Wan and Qui Gon with, for the time, was a good amount of articulation, the figures able to hold the lightsabers with 2 hands.  We got a few too many versions of Obi Wan, Qui Gon, Maul, and little Anakin for my liking.  
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2003, 07:21 PM »
I like my Ep1 collection and have most on the walls in my room.  I especally like my BBD/BPD collection that I have almost complete.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 8, 2003, 11:12 PM »
I think the line had a lot of duds, and too many versions of the main characters.  It was a pretty decent line though because it started out with Obi Wan and Qui Gon with, for the time, was a good amount of articulation, the figures able to hold the lightsabers with 2 hands.  We got a few too many versions of Obi Wan, Qui Gon, Maul, and little Anakin for my liking.  

Add Amidala to that list please.  How many were there?  7?  Well, maybe I'm adding POTJ to the list, but still, what's Lucas' fetish for clothing changes?  I was surprised in Ep II that she didn't change on the flight from Tatooine to get Obi ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 8, 2003, 11:19 PM »
All of those outfits and none of them was the one we really wanted to see....

The birthday suit!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda