Author Topic: The pitch - application process  (Read 6016 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
The pitch - application process
« on: October 30, 2006, 04:59 PM »
Here is a chance for you english majors out there and help give us a shot of getting a free booth. In 500 words of less write up a description and sales pitch for the UGP. I've already sent in one but lets make sure my feeble writting attempts don't doom our chances of participating.

Here is what they want.

Have an idea for a program or an activity? Do you have a special skill, and are willing to volunteer to share it with other fans? Please send a brief initial proposal (limit 500 words) to fanevents@starwars.com, or mail it to Star Wars Celebration IV; Attn: Mary Franklin; Lucasfilm Ltd., PO Box 29901, San Francisco, CA 94129. Include your email address and contact information. Briefly summarize what you would do, time and materials needed, number of people involved, and how the audience could participate, if at all. Initial proposals will be considered for final proposals, and do not guarantee scheduling during Celebration IV.

Please send it in to me before sending it to Mary Franklin.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 11:46 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The pitch
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Would your Star Wars Fan group like to share their experience with other fans at Celebration IV? Lucasfilm and their convention partner Gen Con, LLC plan to set aside a limited number of spaces for selected fan clubs. Talk with other fans about what your club does and recruit new members! The application process for Fan Club tables at Celebration IV will start November 17, 2006. Look for requirements and application instructions then at www.starwars.com/community/event/celebration.

It would be a really good thing to have the web site initally done by Nov. 17th.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:25 PM by Master_Phruby »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 1, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I sent my Pitch over PM at Yak.  I hope you get a lot of suggestions so that you can pick and choose the best parts.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Great! Thanks Brent! :D

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I will work on a short little something to send in. :)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 6, 2006, 12:03 PM »
i sent a letter idea via pm and gave a few other ideas at the bottom. phurby said that i should bring one of them up here to see what everyone thought so here goes....

in the decription of the "letter body" phurby posted, it asks for you to tell what service your booth would be providing the fans. while our main effort is to give the a site to see and show them our hobby and support for starwars, i was thinking that we could have a raffle at the end of the convention. we could hand out tickets, or even sale them if you guys wanted and mabey give the proceeds to charitey or somthing, and at the end of the convention have a drawing. pick 10 or so people as winners and those people can pick a piece from the dio to take home with them. we could draw say 5 tickets for just a figure or 2, 3 tickets for a figure & vehicle and the last 2 could be for a building, pices of the landscape, figures or what ever they wanted.

we couls also do a set couple of prizes, like have a display of a couple custom figures made by some of our customizers, some real wow customs, and have a seperat drawinf for those.

this seems to me to be a selling point for the letter to get a "free booth". not only are we giving the fans a site to see and an introduction to our customizing communitiy,but we are providing a fun event for the fans to participate in and possibly win somthing and if we did decide to charge for the raffle tickets, even $1.00, and give it to chariety, that would be another great selling point for us inthis letter.

plus we need to figure out what to do with the entire set up after the convetion any how!

so what do youguys think??? :)
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Jedistyle - I think that the raffle is a good idea.  However, there may be pieces of the booth that people would want to "protect" for whatever reason.  If we do the raffle idea, I think we should set aside pieces of the diorama that could be given away (or specific figures).

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 7, 2006, 10:09 AM »
My suggestion is whatever doesn't arrive with return postage gets raffeled/ebayed off at the end. Anything that still remains going into the dumpster.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 7, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I like the raffle idea myself. It's very doubtful that I will ewant to keep anything I give yto the project. Pretty much everything Im making is a donation to do with what thou will.

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 7, 2006, 05:21 PM »
i think what phurby suggested should be the standard.

-if you want your work back, you must include packaging and money to send it back to you.

-otherwise all contibutions are considered donations and will be raffled off or ebayed or whatever the group leaders decide to do with them.

that works for me! :)
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Here is the letter I designed by combining multiple letters that I received. I want to thank everyone for this effort. Please let me know what you think and what I should change to make it sound better.

The Celebration IV convention is an opportunity for the FANS of the Star Wars Universe to come together and share in their love for this experience. We are a group of enthusiastic Star Wars fans dedicated to a niche area of the collecting – Customizing figures and toys. Our purpose is to expand the vision set out by George Lucas by creating all new characters, worlds, storylines, photo-novels and dioramas.  You will never find a more creative hive of fans anywhere!

For nearly a year, this group of diehard fans around the world, with the help of several Star Wars fan site forums like JediDefender.com, YakFace.com & FFURG.com, have joined together to commit many hours and resources to create a memorable customizing experience for Celebration IV - The Ultimate Group Project.  Through extensive research and planning, we are finally close to making this dream a reality!

The goal of this project is to create an entire fan fictional Star Wars World using custom action figures and realistic environments (“dioramas”) designed in the 4” scale. This project is being designed to a scale that would accommodate a full fan booth (10x20 or larger). It will be 90% pre-constructed by our customizing team in advance of the Celebration IV convention. Our booth would be utilized primarily as a display of the creative nature of Star Wars fans. The diorama will include a large cityscape under the control of the Empire complete with a watchtower and security & detention buildings. The city will hold shops, streets, homes, cantina, spaceport and a droid junk yard. Outside the city will be a canyon-like environment leading up to a mountain with a hidden rebel base inside.

It is our goal to encourage enthusiasm and excitement for our niche hobby and provide an amazing display piece for Star Wars fans of all ages to behold. During Celebration IV, we will be raffling off several pieces of the diorama to Star Wars fans in attendance for free. We will also be auctioning off remaining pieces with the proceeds going to charity.

We are happy to announce that we now have a website to showcase this project – http://theultimategroupproject.t-j-p.net. With your support to reserve a fan booth space to display the project, we can reveal the finished diorama to Star Wars fans around the world!  We are looking forward to working with you in order to achieve the goal of showcasing an entire Star Wars world to fans everywhere. 

Sincerely Yours,

Paul Hruby
Project Leader

« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 09:34 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
Re: The pitch - final letter for your review 11/12/06
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 10:52 PM »
Excelletn Paul. I would give us free stuff.

But seriousley, this is very well written, and Im backing it to the fullest.

Cross your fingers guys.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 05:02 PM »
Looking good. It's nice and consise but it still gets our position across. Do we have any idea how long it will be until they respond?
"This is the way."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Perfecto. :-*

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 08:38 PM »
Looking good. It's nice and consise but it still gets our position across. Do we have any idea how long it will be until they respond?

Don't know. I believe reading something about applications being available the 17th. I could be wrong.