Author Topic: NBA 2006-07  (Read 63019 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 Playoffs
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2007, 05:41 PM »
Phoenix really doled out a rump wrangling last night on Kobe and Co., and they're going to do the same thing to Dallas if Golden State doesn't do it first.

don't forget that the lakers suck.  i don't think anyone (except LA fans) expected them to win.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2007, 06:29 PM »
don't forget that the lakers suck.  i don't think anyone (except LA fans) expected them to win.

I don't even think that most L.A. fans expected them to win (myself included), or at least not the halfway intelligent ones anyway.  I predicted a Suns sweep prior to the start of the series.  This Lakers team has less heart, desire, and effort than any I remember in quite some time (despite all the major injuries).  I like to think that the season ended way back when we were 26-13.  Those were happier times...  :P

Phoenix is an offensive machine, and a blast to watch.  As for Dallas, considering they've now lost 7 of their last 8 games to the Warriors, including all 4 this year, they're going to have to make some serious adjustments to their game plan if they want to beat their former coach.  It'll be pretty amusing if Golden State pulls it out, considering the Mav's handed them the #8 seed by not playing most of their starters against them in the second to last game of the regular season, effectively knocking the Clippers out of the #8 seed.  Most were speculating they did that to avoid the Clippers in the first round (and not just to rest their stars), and play the Warriors instead.  Bad move, methinks...  I'd love to see that decision come back to seriously bite them in the ass...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2007, 07:42 PM »
So having one guy score 50 points 10 times in a season doesn't make a champion?  Gee, whoulda thunk that. ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2007, 08:48 PM »
Yeah, it was funny last Sunday when the commentators (I can't remember who) said that Kobe would go down in basketball history, replacing MJ, as the best player ever to play the game.

Have you really watched Kobe play?  I mean really watch him?  His mannerisms are just like Jordan's.  The way he walks, chews his gum, shoots the fade away (trademark Jordan) - everything.

It's uncanny and frankly I can't stand to watch him because of it.

I don't care how many points he can rack up in a season - Jordan made the players around him shine - it was a TEAM - I don't get that vibe with Kobe, Phil and the rest of the squad.

And their performance further drives home the point.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 26, 2007, 12:54 PM »
Thanks for posting that ruiner.  That's been my view of Kobe for years now, and it often bothers me when people say he's "better than Jordan".  How quickly people forget.  I'll admit I'm not a Kobe fan at all, but I can say that he's easily the best scorer in the game today - and probably since Jordan.  He can do it all from the scoring standpoint, but I haven't seen much of his all around game.  Plus, the copying he has done with Jordan's mannerisms has always bothered me.  Its nice to know that I'm not the only one who notices that.  He's always seemed like he's tried to "talk" like Jordan, using phrases like "the game of basketball" that MJ often used.  It might be coincidence, but it doesn't seem like it to me.  Not that Jordan is a bad player to mold yourself after, but Kobe is talented enough that he can just be his own player.

Anyways, like I said, he's a great player and will probably retire being one of the all time greatest scorers (and maybe players) in NBA history, I just don't quite put him on the MJ level quite yet.  It might have taken a few years, but Jordan really was good at incorporating his teammates and making them better.  Not just guys like Pippen and Horace Grant/Rodman, but I remember BJ Armstrong making an All-Star game, and guys like John Paxson, Steve Kerr, and Bill Cartwright were almost household names.

Back on topic, I don't dislike the Mavericks, but I have to say its hard for me not to root for the Warriors a bit too.  I guess upsets are always exciting, unless its your team that's the higher seed ;).  I really hope the Suns can do well this year, and hopefully make it to the Finals.  I don't mind seeing the Spurs struggle a bit too, that could be an interesting series.  Bulls/Heat is interesting as well.  As much as I used to be a Bulls fan, I really can't stand Ben Wallace and to a lesser extent Andres Nocioni.  I don't know why Nocioni irritates me, he just does.  Kind of a like a more talented and a less whiny Bill Laimbeer.  Kind of a rough player that gets under your skin.  With Ben Wallace, sure he's talented, but the commentators often make it sound as if he's one of the greatest players of all time.  I think he's gone from being one of the most under-rated players in the league to one of the most over-rated.  Sure, he can defend and rebound, but so could Dennis Rodman.  It does look like the Bulls could pull it out though, D-Wade really seems to be struggling and if he continues, this team can't do it without him.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 26, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Back on topic, I don't dislike the Mavericks, but I have to say its hard for me not to root for the Warriors a bit too.  I guess upsets are always exciting, unless its your team that's the higher seed ;)

i can see rooting for the underdog, but reggie miller was killing me last night.  the whole way thru he was commentating like it was a home broadcast for the warriors.  everything was "the warriors just need to keep up the energy and they will be fine" or "if they can get it under 10 they will still have the edge".   i was just sitting there thinking... this is a national broadcast.. how about some "the mavs have done a great job of adjusting".

if it was anyone else i would be rooting for the warriors too.  but since it is the mavs, i was very happy with the game last night.  not only did they spank the warriors but they got under their skin too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 27, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I didn't get to see much of that game, but I can believe that about Reggie Miller's commentating.  I always hate a bias in broadcasting sports, and it seems like it happens a lot.  Maybe it just seems that way when my team is losing ;).

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 27, 2007, 10:57 PM »
RIP, Heat.  You had a good run.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 27, 2007, 11:01 PM »
RIP, Heat.  You had a good run.

Yeah they need a miracle now.  I wouldn't drive the last nail into the coffin just yet though...
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #234 on: April 27, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Yeah they need a miracle now.  I wouldn't drive the last nail into the coffin just yet though...

Me neither.  Recent history has shown that being down three games to none isn't quite as insurmountable a task as the sports media would have everybody believe.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2007, 12:33 AM »
. . . . if you're a Detroit Basketball fan or Boston baseball fan ;)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2007, 12:35 AM »
. . . . if you're a Detroit Basketball fan or Boston baseball fan ;)

(Thank you, Mr. Subtlety.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2007, 01:42 AM »
Steeeeeeeee RIKE two.

Mavericks are in big big trouble.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36 AM »
Recent history has shown that being down three games to none isn't quite as insurmountable a task as the sports media would have everybody believe.

Yeah, but no team in NBA history has come back to win a series after being down 3 - 0.  There's always a first time for everything, but let's just say I don't like their odds.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #239 on: April 28, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Yeah, but no team in NBA history has come back to win a series after being down 3 - 0.  There's always a first time for everything, but let's just say I don't like their odds.

(Psst.  Neal.  I know.  Just trying to give "Dressel" a little **** about about the '04 ALCS, that's all.  It didn't work out very well.)