Author Topic: NBA 2006-07  (Read 62614 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2007 Playoffs
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2007, 04:45 PM »
All I'm saying is--keep using the gaywad name, and I'll keep putting it in quotes.  That's all.

Which brings us full circle.  What's your point exactly then of "Dressel" if you don't want me to change it?  Other than your usual trolling of course.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2007, 04:56 PM »
Which brings us full circle.  What's your point exactly then of "Dressel" if you don't want me to change it?  Other than your usual trolling of course.

It's not about me wanting you to change your name.  On the contrary.  It's about me refusing to play the screen name game with you.  I'm not gonna refer to your screen name without using quotes when there's other people participating who are using their real names.  It's less-respectful to them.

Plus, now I know that it bothers you--so, all the more reason to keep doing it.  If that's trolling, so be it.  I don't give a ****.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Okay Virex Bill Cosby "Matt".

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2007, 05:04 PM »
Okay Virex Bill Cosby "Matt".

Good one.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2007, 05:24 PM »
20 straight non-NBA posts.  How 'bout we drop the forum name discussion and try to get back on topic here, eh?

As for the Heat, as much as I'd love to see them get swept, I'm definitely not counting them out yet.  Though it'd be completely insane to come back at this point, I wouldn't put it past them.  I've seen crazier **** happen before...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 29, 2007, 10:48 AM »
Nah, the Heat will lose to the Bulls.

I usually don't follow the NBA but what's the big deal with this Wade fella?  Doesn't seem so special to me.

I think the Heat should pay me to shoot free throws:

Free Throws Cost Heat Game

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 29, 2007, 12:13 PM »
I usually don't follow the NBA but what's the big deal with this Wade fella?  Doesn't seem so special to me.

He's currently playing on one good leg and with one good arm.  Go back and watch last year's playoffs and when he was healthy earlier this season if you want to see what's so speacial about him.  Before he tore his labrum and dislocated his shoulder, he was scoring 29 points, dishing out 8 assists, pulling down 5 rebounds , getting over two steals, and blocking more than one shot a game.  No one else in the league could match those numbers.  Also, he pretty much single-handedly won the Championship for them last year.  Other than Kobe (maybe), he's the best player in the game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:16 PM by Neal »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 29, 2007, 12:33 PM »

Other than Kobe (maybe), he's the best player in the game.

I've got a funny feeling most people would take LeBron or Garnett over Wade.  And you can make an outstanding argument for Nash, Arenas, Marion and Nowitzki as well.

Realistically I rank Wade somewhere between 3rd and 7th best in the Association.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 12:37 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2007, 03:52 PM »
Teams may take LeBron over Wade, seeing that he's 21.  No one in their right mind would take Garnett at this point in his career.  When he was younger, perhaps.
LeBron has minimal desire to win and chokes when shooting big free throws.  Wade's ruthless and a better defender.
Nash is actually a liability on defense, much less a mediocre defender.  He may be one of the greatest point guards ever, but the Suns' system works just as much for him as he does for it.  Check the numbers that opposing PGs put up against him (usually).  He couldn't guard me.
Garnett has the complete game, but he's getting older.  No title.  No playoff success.
Arenas is too spotty.  He's close, but he's small and can be backed down by larger guards.  Plus, he hasn't won anything yet, either.
Dirk is not nearly the passer Wade is, and he's a so-so defender.  Plus, he tends to disappear in big games (at least in the Playoffs).
I like Marion, and he's one of the few that can match Wade's defensive numbers, but he's not even the best player on his team.  He's the most versatile, and seeing that you only see the NBA by looking at stats, I can see why you'd mention him.
Anyone else you'd like me to shoot down?

And ... as evidenced by the way he left the court today, Wade's a class act as well.  That's what you really don't like about him, Matt.  He's a good guy, and you can't stand it.  Does a guy need a criminal record for you to cheer for him?

Congrats go out to the Bulls and their fans.  You beat an old and inferior team, and though I hated to see it happen, I'll be rooting for you against Detroit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 03:56 PM by Neal »

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2007, 03:54 PM »

Other than Kobe (maybe), he's the best player in the game.

I've got a funny feeling most people would take LeBron or Garnett over Wade.  And you can make an outstanding argument for Nash, Arenas, Marion and Nowitzki as well.

Realistically I rank Wade somewhere between 3rd and 7th best in the Association.

i think Neal is right that Kobe and Wade are probably the 2 most talented players in the league.  if i was picking teams in the gym though, i would chose dirk, garnett or amare 1st though cuz the good big players are little rarer.

good news for the heat... Wade is gonna get a little extra rehab time.   now the Heat fans get to find out if any of their old timers will come back.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 29, 2007, 04:01 PM »
i think Neal is right that Kobe and Wade are probably the 2 most talented players in the league.  if i was picking teams in the gym though, i would chose dirk, garnett or amare 1st though cuz the good big players are little rarer.

good news for the heat... Wade is gonna get a little extra rehab time.   now the Heat fans get to find out if any of their old timers will come back.

I agree with you there.  Always take talented size when you can.  Wade can't help that he's "only" 6'4".  I'm pretty high on Amare.  He's almost fully back to where he was two years ago.  That man is a freak.

As far as Wade's rehab, he better have surgery this week ... and I hope he remembers the pain of getting swept out in the first round.  I want him to come back next year better and stronger than ever.  I like when he feels that he has something to prove.  As far as the team goes, I expect a complete fire sale.  Wade and Shaq aren't going anywhere, but I'm assuming that Payton and Mourning are done.  And they have a bunch of free agents as well.  It's going to be a totally different team next year.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:02 PM by Neal »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 29, 2007, 05:37 PM »

Does a guy need a criminal record for you to cheer for him?

Yes, prison is where they learn to play the best and toughest basketball.

Hey I conceded that Wade is in the top 7.  But while you were quite adept in pointing out everyone else's flaws, perhaps I missed the part where you disclosed that Dwyane Wade has zero range and turns the ball over a ton.  I mean, geez, what does he shoot beyond the arc, 20%?  For a point guard?  And does he lead the league in turnovers?  I'm not gonna check but I'll assume he does until proven otherwise.

Steve Nash is more valuable than Wade.  I don't have the exact stats in front of me, but in short, when Nash sits out, the Suns cannot win a game period.  He is the very engine that drives an offense and the Suns have Barbosa who is not bad that plays in Nash's absence.  Okay Nash has range and can nail a 3 from anywhere at a hiigh percentage, and don't even try to compare passing skills to Wade please.  Nash stops at 12 assists per game because he gets bored when his team goes into double digit leads and sits down.  Nash is the NBA MVP 2 years running and there should be a 3rd coming up if Nowitzki doesn't get it.  Yeah Nash isn't a hot defender, but why is that any more of an issue than the fact that Wade can't hit a shot unless the basket is 5 feet in front of him?

Wade's good but if I need to build a team to win this season, I'm taking Nash over D-Waste.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 29, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I never said that Nash wasn't valuable.  I said that Wade is better.  Which he is.  And Wade isn't a point guard.
As far as range, he's never been a 3-point shooter, but then again, neither was Jordan at this stage of his career, and he was still the best player in the game.
As far as TOs, yes ... Wade led the league in turnovers per game (not total TOs), but Iverson was right behind him in second, and Nash was fourth.  Turnovers happen when you have the ball in your hands all of the time.  Law of averages.
I wouldn't put Nash in my top five of the best players in the game, and that's because he only plays on one side of the floor.  I love Nash, and he's valuable, but that doesn't make him better.  If the best player in the league won the MVP ever year, Jordan would've retired with about twelve of them (at least).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 06:28 PM by Neal »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 30, 2007, 09:27 AM »

LeBron has minimal desire to win and chokes when shooting big free throws. 

Meanwhile, Wade missed 6 of 10, including 3 of 5 in the fourth quarter when the Heat desperately needed some help.*

*From earlier article posting.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 30, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Pretty good weekend of hoops.  I have to say I was surprised that Miami ended up getting swept by Chicago.  Chicago really outplayed them, but I guess I always expected Miami to make a series of it, and at least win a game or two.  Oh well, new champ this year for sure - and maybe two new finals teams for sure too if things continue the way they are - and that's always exciting.  Dallas is really on the ropes at this point, being down 3-1, but you never know what could happen.  It is kind of neat seeing Golden State play so well right now.  I hope that Phoenix can continue on, and hopefully win the championship, but we'll see.  I'd like to see Nash get a title, and they are just a fun team to watch.  Detroit vs. Chicago should be an interesting 2nd round matchup.  I remember watching those two tangle many a time in the late 80s/early 90s.