Author Topic: You give toys a bad name  (Read 4408 times)

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
You give toys a bad name
« on: October 2, 2006, 05:35 PM »
http://spawn.com/news/news6.aspx?id=12956

Lame. 

Seriously, is anyone going to buy these?  Have we gotten so desparate for new and "original" action figures that we've had to stoop to making Bon Jovi?  Dare I suggest that Kip Winger might be next in line?

I weep for the toy industry.

John

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: You give toys a bad name
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Too bad he's not making Michael Jackson figures.  That would be cool.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2006, 02:29 AM »
I'm still holding out for a Marky Mark figure.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2006, 03:38 AM »
I knew McFarlane lacked a penis.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2006, 07:15 AM »
It could always be worst he could be doing

Newtered Kids on the Block
Backdoor Boys
N-Suck
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2006, 07:41 AM »
I want a WHAM box set damn it!

And a George Michael with bathroom stall variant.

;D
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2006, 09:41 AM »
Some of their licenses have been weird choices. 

LOST, Napoleon Dynamite, Bon Jovi - bad business decisions if you ask me.

Hell, even the Simpsons appear to have lost steam....

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2006, 09:51 AM »
I saw this news yesterday, and thought it seemed strange as well.  I think that ruiner might have a choice too with license choices.  As much as I like Simpsons, they don't exactly seem to be flying off the shelves in this current form.  Same with Napoleon Dynamite.  It will be interesting to see how the LOST figures/statues do.  Maybe they'll get more casual fans of the show (not necessarily collectors), but we'll have to see.  I'm wondering if its getting to the point where there are too many things being licensed, and we're going to see a larger failure in the action figure/statue licenses, before they are scaled back to closer where they once were.  Aside from "kid" licenses like TMNT, Power Rangers, etc., the market might be more limited than the number of franchises that have been licensed right now.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2006, 02:57 PM »
The problem with some of McF's newer licenses is shelf life.  Napoleon Dynamite was hot for what, six months?

It was everywhere and you could find anything with ND on it (shirts, keychains, notebooks, etc.).

Items that can be easily turned around from a manufacturing standpoint - take a blank keychain, stamp the ND logo on it and you're done.

The problem with figures is that they take A LOT longer to develop.  Investment is actualy required.  You need skilled artisans to make the tooling models, then you have to cut the steel molds, run first shots off of the molds, tweak the molds, advise the paint ops, obtain licensor approval...all of this takes close to a year from start to seeing the product on the shelf.

More often than not, by the time the product is in production, the trend is over. 

Remember the chopper  (Jesse James) craze a couple years ago?

« Last Edit: October 4, 2006, 02:59 PM by ruiner »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2006, 03:16 PM »
Not to stray too far from the Bon Jovi topic, but I think the Simpsons license will be much more valuable to McFarlane next year than it is now, with the movie and all.  The Simpsons will be back in the spotlight for the first time in years, and possibly for the last time.  It'll be interesting to see what they have in store--and if it's successful or not.  Hopefully it will be.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2006, 03:24 PM »
Not to stray too far from the Bon Jovi topic, but I think the Simpsons license will be much more valuable to McFarlane next year than it is now, with the movie and all.  The Simpsons will be back in the spotlight for the first time in years, and possibly for the last time.  It'll be interesting to see what they have in store--and if it's successful or not.  Hopefully it will be.

Simpsons are currently problematic, but that's largely owing to a decline in the popularity of the show (at least amongst those that collect the toys).  Couple that with a full line of already available toys that have decreased dramatically in price recently and that are readily available on ebay.  You can buy entire series of toys on ebay for about $10 plus shipping.  Contrast that with $20 for the couch gag.  Not so good.

I think part of the problem is that while McFarlane's stuff was really hot for a while, the bloom is clearly off that rose as well.  Sportspicks were really hot for a time, but now many retailers don't stock them and lots of people wait for them to go on clearance anyway.  The production runs now that the company is successful are large and nothing is rare anymore and that drives a significant portion of initial sales - potential for resale on ebay. 

I also think that while the general scale of his products is great, they are also on the big side.  TMP once likened collecting his stuff to hockey cards and how he wanted every single Gretzky card when he was growing up.  Well, he hasn't seemed to grasp the practical difference between hockey cards and 6-8" action figures.  You can get a whole lot of hockey cards in a binder but need feet of space for toys.  Big, big difference.

With respect to Bon Jovi I think there's still some potential there.  We may not be the biggest fans in the world, but they can (or could) fill stadiums and sold a ton of records/cd's.  You may not be buying them, but someone is. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:45 PM »
The only McFarlane rock figure I'd ever buy would be David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust.  Now that would be a figure.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 11:47 PM »
I'd like to see McF do some early Peter Gabriel, back when he was with Genesis and wearing his crazy costumes.  :)  The flower, the Slipperman, the wacky triangle-head thing from Live, even Rael...I'd be all over that stuff.

John

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 01:10 AM »
What a dope Todd McFarlane is.  Call me crazy, but I never see girls with big hair clamoring for action figures in the local toy departments.  AND I SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN NEW JERSEY!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Dare I suggest that Kip Winger might be next in line?

John

Then we could name a thread "(Collectors are) Headed for a Heartbreak"

:P