Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41312 times)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
HELP! with photoshop...
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2004, 08:03 PM »
 Can someone help me out? I’m trying to do that ‘zip-a-tone’ effect on some art… like the tiny black dots they use for doing gray tones in B&W art. Is there a filter or way to do this in photoshop? Thanks a helluvalot for any help.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 08:08 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! with photoshop...
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2004, 10:14 PM »
I found this online:

There are several ways. The easiest is to go ahead and fill in the desired areas with gray tone. Then, select Mode>Bitmap. In the pulldown menu, select "halftone screen." Select "round" for the shape, set the angle to 45 degrees, and set the line frequency to whatever you desire

Another easy way to do it would be to just get a zip-a-tone (or dotted) sheet that you like, scan it, then put it over whatever you want the dots on and just make it a multiply layer (or scroll through the blending options for the desired effect)....

-R

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2004, 05:10 PM »
Thanks! I'll try it.
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2004, 08:01 PM »
I attempted to create my own zip-a-tone using Photoshop and then printing onto clear adhesive paper. Photoshop is limited in the pattern department. To do it, I actually created a square with fill that I either scanned, created or experimented with in Photoshop. This took forever and the results were ok.

I think the scanning the pattern idea is best as long as you can make it fit the area you want filled.

I've used things like old newspaper dot patterns, things from drawings or photos I liked and my own drawing. I have heard that an artist once xeroxed a picture that had this amazing texture from an Elvis album cover and every now and then you can tell which area he's using if you are familiar with the album cover. I check into that more, but nothing is taboo if you blow it up or cut it out and use it for fill or tone.

The only thing that can be a pain in photoshop is printing it. Halftones do not show up as well unless you know how to break them down for printing purposes and seperate them out. Be careful about grays that are not black pattern or fill. Same for the scanning, do not scan it in as b & w. Use halftone or color and then break it down in Photoshop after the scan. Hopefully you have a decent scanner. Anyway, I'm done. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know and let me know what you end up doing and how it works out for you.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2004, 01:41 PM »
If you also have Illustrator, in it you can easily make a dot pattern and use it as a fill in whatever shape you want. Save the Illustrator file as an eps and open it in Photoshop. Use it as a layer over your artwork.

There are filters out that do that effect, though. Try Screenworks, Flaming Pear, DigiEffects. Alot of those filters are freeware and shareware. I found a really cool "Nightvision" filter from a company called Adrenaline that kicks ass!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 01:42 PM by SPIDERLEGS »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Tech Support / Computer Help
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2005, 04:50 PM »
I'm not sure if we have a Computer Help thread - so if we don't maybe this could become one...

Here's my issue.  I'm trying to burn a CD with Nero 5 on my new computer.  I do everything the way I used to on my old computer, but now when I hit the magic '8th icon' to start my burning, it asks me to save an image file.  I have no idea what an image file is and I do not want to save one and if I go ahead and save one - it doesn't burn the audio CD.  Anyone know why it just won't start burning when I tell it to?

I should add that under my 'choose recorder' options - it shows my DVD burner only - because of my two drives it's the only one that is a burner, but it is also capable of writing CD's.  I think that despite the fact that I created an audio cd project, put audio tracks on it, and am clicking on burn CD - it thinks it's making a DVD.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 09:00 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
Re: Nero CD Burning question/problem
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2005, 05:41 PM »
An image is just a file backup of a CD…you can use the “image writer” instead of your burner if you want to burn the disc later or make multiple copies from the disc’s image file.

You can either save the image and then burn it with the File>Burn Image option or switch your recorder to the DVD-writer.  As you say, only recorders show up in the “recorder options” list, so that’s the one to choose. 
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 16, 2005, 06:44 PM »
That didn't work.  I tried it and when I went to 'burn image' it asked me to save another image and in circles I went. 

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: April 16, 2005, 07:21 PM »
It may be that Nero doesn't recognize your CD-Burner if burn to image is the only option. I'm not really fond of Nero v5, and this is one of the reasons: stupid little quirks.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 16, 2005, 07:28 PM »
That's my latest thinking too.  After a phone call with Dell - we uninstalled Nero 5 and now the other one works okay - the guy thought there was a conflict between the two softwares.  So I'm using this crappy Sonic software for now.  Maybe if I get my hands on Nero 6 I'll give it a whirl and uninstall Sonic before hand.

Anyway - unless anyone has a link to another one, I'm going to rename this thread Computer help for everyone or something similar and let it be a JD Tech Support forum.

Offline Imperial Outpost

• Youngling
  • I'm not a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Outpost
Re: Tech Support / Computer Help
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2005, 02:06 PM »
If it's only letting you burn to an ISO image, then your burner is set as the hard drive. You should be able to change the target burner to your CD writer fairly easily (just can't remember how off the top of my head at the minute).

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Support / Computer Help
« Reply #146 on: June 3, 2005, 12:24 AM »
What software do you guys use to backup your hard drive?  I finally bought an external hard drive for doing this, but the cheap model I bought doesn't come with any software.

Any recommendations?

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Computer Help & Tech Support
« Reply #147 on: June 3, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Norton Ghost. I can help you find a copy if you'd like. :-*
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 11:09 AM by Chris »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 3, 2005, 01:07 PM »
While were here (not that it matters too much) but it turns out all my problems were compatability issues with Nero 5 and having a cheap, stripped down version of Record Now.

The problems are all fixed now that I 'have' the latest version of Nero 6.

It only took 2 months to get it sorted out...

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 3, 2005, 04:44 PM »
Got my first dual-layer DVD writer today  :)

Anyone know how to blur out the timecode on that copy of ROTS?  That would look sweet burned onto a dual layer dvdr without any compression
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)