Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41295 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Computer Help & Tech Support
« Reply #150 on: June 3, 2005, 05:12 PM »
you'd have to blur it out frame by frame, but I believe Adobe Premiere can automate that for you. if the timecode remains in the same place throughout the film, you should be able to tell premiere to blur it's location in the first frame, and then repeat it through the rest of the frames in the film.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

SilverZ

« Reply #151 on: June 6, 2005, 08:38 PM »
Anyone know how to blur out the timecode on that...

Someone's already done the work for you, actually. If you found that original item yourself, you'll find the other version in those same usual places.  :) I don't think it improves things any, though. It's ugly stuff.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 7, 2005, 04:35 PM »
I did see that version but the basic picture was worse.

There's a DVD rip out there now so, if I could get that, the timer prob becomes academic.  It might be a bit too scary to try and get this new version though so I might not bother  ;)
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 04:36 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2006, 01:02 AM »
Is anyone familiar with setting up a wireless network between a laptop and a desktop computer?  We just bought a laptop, and I'm getting pretty close to getting it all figured out.  So far I've managed to enable access to the internet for the laptop, and it can also access files that are stored on the desktop. 

However, the desktop can't seem to access files stored on the laptop.  I also noticed the laptop has a notification icon saying there is a network cable unplugged - are these 2 problems related?

Signed,
Confused in Canuckia

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21 AM »
you'd have to blur it out frame by frame, but I believe Adobe Premiere can automate that for you. if the timecode remains in the same place throughout the film, you should be able to tell premiere to blur it's location in the first frame, and then repeat it through the rest of the frames in the film.

You can use After Effects or Premiere Pro to create an adjustment layer, masked out to cover just the area you want to blur, then throw a blur plug-in onto the adjustment layer.  Then you'd have to re-export and make DVD's again.  For a file that big, it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2006, 01:22 AM »
Is anyone familiar with setting up a wireless network between a laptop and a desktop computer?  We just bought a laptop, and I'm getting pretty close to getting it all figured out.  So far I've managed to enable access to the internet for the laptop, and it can also access files that are stored on the desktop. 

However, the desktop can't seem to access files stored on the laptop.  I also noticed the laptop has a notification icon saying there is a network cable unplugged - are these 2 problems related?

Signed,
Confused in Canuckia

What brand router do you have?  Linksys has free phone support for their products, when I had to get our Laptop hooked up with our two desktops, I just called them and they were real cool about helping out.  Depending on what hardware you have you might be able to get free phone support.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2006, 01:38 AM »

Signed,
Confused in Canuckia

The icon on the tray saying a network cable is unplugged is probably for the wired network card in your laptop.  If you're using the wireless card you probably don't have a cable plugged in also (you don't really want to use both at the same time anyway).  That's not causing your problem.

There are two reasons I can think of right now as to why you aren't seeing the laptop.  The first is that if it's brand new on the network it's name hasn't registered yet and the desktop isn't finding it.  Sometimes it'll take 20 minutes or so for a computer to be recognized on a Microsoft network.

The other thing that might be causing it is that there are no shares on the laptop.  You can try to access it from the desktop using the default share (open My Network Places and use the address bar to type \\laptopname\C$ where laptopname is that of the laptop). 

The other thing you can do is, from the laptop, open My Computer and right-click on the C: drive and choose Sharing.  Or  go into C: and pick a directory and do the same.  Add sharing for the drive or folder.  Then from the desktop try accessing the laptop just using the \\laptopname.  See if you see the folder or drive you shared.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 24, 2006, 11:31 AM »
Help!

My circut breaker in the basement kicked itself off last night. I came back up stairs and restarted the machine no problem. Start up was flawless, and all that. Then I click on my account (we had 3 accounts on here for my family)and I entered my password without issue. Next up, my wallpaper loaded, and the sound of start up filled the air, and then it just...stayed wallpaper.

Tried it again, same result. So this time I logged in to some one elses account to post for help.

So, please some one help me?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2006, 04:07 PM »
Quick question for you tech guys (Matthew?):

As you may or may not know, I'm a big Arrested Development fan (the show, not the band) and was wondering how I could take the soundtrack from the Season 1 DVD and transfer it to an audio CD for easy listening on the road.

Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2006, 09:46 AM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 09:47 AM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Computer issue - Help appreciated
« Reply #160 on: November 4, 2006, 02:21 PM »
Hey all-

I just moved and got Frontier DSL in my new house, like I had in my old apartment up until last week.  For some reason with the new connection, it seems that  sites like Yahoo, Google, hotmail etc. all load instantaneously like they should with DSL, but for some reason sites like JD, scum, espn, eBay do not load fast, and in some cases take minutes to load up.  Took me 10 minutes just to get to Watto's to write this.  Yet when I go to Yahoo.com or Google.com BOOM! right in.  This has been going on for 2 days since I got into the new house.

I did not install anything else new, and I still have the same McAfee security suite for antivirus protection I had in the old place.

Any ideas what might be doing this?

Thanks in advance.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Computer issue - Help appreciated
« Reply #161 on: November 4, 2006, 02:32 PM »
Maybe that internet legislation that aims to decide what websites get all the bandwidth is being tested in your area...

(seriously though, why not just call your DSL provider?)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 4, 2006, 05:49 PM »
That was helpful.  You bastard  :)

I did have the tech over here, and he said "Hrmmm.  Yeah some of these sites are slow, huh?  ::Dressel nods and agrees::  Yeah maybe some of the servers are down or something.  I have 4 more jobs to do now, I'll call you later."

Never called.

So, I'll call a 2nd tech out.

Not too big of a deal I guess, but it's annoying when I want to visit JD and a few other sites.

My fantasy football effort will not be hindered tomorrow, Yahoo is fine.

Any other ideas are welcome though...
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #163 on: November 4, 2006, 08:02 PM »
Sites like Google and Yahoo are connect almost directly to the backbone of the Internet.  Sites like JD and RS are usually in data farms, which are usually connected with a pretty fast connection to the backbone, but not nearly as fast as main sites.  So there's usually a speed difference there.

But thinking about it, I think it'd be more likely to be a problem with your ISP's DNS server, or their connection to the server that resolves domains.  Basically, when you type in a URL, that data shoots out to your ISP, who then sends a request to a domain controller server.  That server gets the URL, and returns the IP address associated with that URL.  That IP directs your provider where to look for the site.  For something like Google, that IP would be in the cache on your provider's server because it's so frequently accessed.  For JD, that would be accessed much less frequently, so it'd be flushed from the cache and need to be looked up every time.

Your personal PC should store most of the recent IPs from sites you've visited, which should allow it to bypass this process.  But you can fiddle with a browser not to store IPs like that and rely on your ISP.

But really... DLS sucks balls.  You should have gotten a cable modem.  Then you wouldn't have any problems.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 4, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I've got DSL and I don't have any problems - and I routinely get 350K per second downloads.