Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41294 times)

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP help, please.
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2004, 07:06 PM »
start button->settings=>control panel
The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows-Aristotle Onasis

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2004, 07:09 PM »
the toolbar/start button jazz is all gone

See, I can't hit Start to do anything because its all gone. The only thing I can see is my wallpaper, until I do the CTRL+ALT+Delete deal to pull up Task Manager.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2004, 07:42 PM »
do you have the ability to log on as a different user, if you can see if that fixes it. your profile could be corrupted. you can do this by ctrl-alt-dlt -> log off. If you cant do that, i am out of ideas, you could try to install windows over itself again, but that rarely works

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2004, 08:53 PM »
Alright, so in simple terms - What do I do from here. Do I just whipe it out and start fresh somehow or what? I'll be losing some very important stuff, but, I don't care so long as I can get my damn computer back up and running. I've gotta have my word ready for this semester of school.  >:(

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I would first try to install windows over top over your current windows. insert the windows cd and boot the computer. windows should recognize that windows is already installed at which point it will ask you if you want to repair it. answer yes to that. it will ask some more questions and it will take off. once it is finished your windows will either work perfectly, it wont boot at all or you will have the same problem. if you want to email me, i can give you my phone number and walk you through it step by step...my email is mikerutan@comcast.net i will keep my email open

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2004, 01:06 PM »
I'm also a helpdesk/pc tech so I might be able to help. My first thought was to use the winxp recovery cd and re-install xp.  Also, do you have "spybot search&destroy" and "ad-aware" anti-spyware programs? you can download them for frree and they search your system for spyware programs which can cause the problem you described.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2004, 04:54 PM »
Two helpdesk techs here, and no one recommended the easiest and first thing to try. He's on Windows XP, he's got System Restore.  :)

AE....

START, ALL PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, SYSTEM TOOLS, SYSTEM RESTORE.

Now...click on "restore my computer to an earlier time". A calendar will pop up.

pick a restore point a week ago or something, when you know your computer was working well. You will not lose any documents, emails, downloads or files....you will lose any new programs or system settings that have made their way onto your computer since then....and you'll have to reinstall or reset those.

Give that a try before reformatting or something and let us know if it works.
Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2004, 05:48 PM »
Again, I don't have a start button, I have to find everything by browsing in the task manager - so... where do I go to find the syst. restore?

Thanks for all the help, guys, by the way.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Woops sorry. Those directions might help.

Ok, you said you have Task Manager available so click on New Task.

Then, in the run window type:

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Windows should find each of those directories on the drop down list as you start typing them anyway.

With any luck, that will bring up the System Restore wizard I told you about.

Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2004, 11:15 PM »
My laptop appears to be fixed (at least temporarily), after following your command, Josh.

Thanks to Mike and Clone for yall's help too! I love you guys.  :-*

I guess now I'll be deleting stuff to make space, and burning my needed info onto discs just in case this happens again and I lose my stuff.  :-\

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2004, 02:00 AM »
That's good to hear. System Restore is pretty handy for un-sticking anything that has gotten stuck on your computer by mistake, and undoing those installs you wish you could take back.  :)

Here's hoping your PC stays online from now on, but making backups is never a bad idea.
Got Clones?

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Computer DVD rom Problem
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2004, 04:34 PM »
While watching a DVD today I noticed that the sound was off and the video was choppy.  I tried cleaning the DVD and it still did the samething.  I put in a couple of more DVD's and all of them had the same problem.  I tried the first DVD in my sister DVD player and it worked fine, so it has to do with my DVD drive.  I put in my LORT sondtrack and it sounded as if it was okay in the DVD drive so I don't know why my DVD's are not working right in it.  A few days ago I had to download a decoder since for some reason my computer wasn't reading the DVD at all after I had someone fixed another problem which earzed my computer or something.  If any of you know anything I would appericate it.  Thanks
Tom

EDIT:  I just put my LOTR soundtrack back in and it doesn't work right as will.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 04:47 PM by Darth Kenobi »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Computer DVD rom Problem
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2004, 08:08 PM »
i've had the same problems before, two things i can think of off the top of my head:

(a) try to re-install the dvd software that your dvd player came with, or try something different. personally i used to use cyberlink powerdvd, but recently switched to nvdvd fom nvidia.

(b) sometimes if the ram in your pc is all being used, or isn't released when it's not being used, the dvd video and audio can be out of sync. try re-starting your pc and see if that does anything.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Computer DVD rom Problem
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2004, 09:46 PM »
I think I fixed it by lowering the video accleration on my media player.  It still happens sometimes but not as bad.  Thanks for the suggestions Jokabofe.

Offline paploo

• Jedi Initiate
  • MORE EWOKS NOW
    • View Profile
everyone hates windows
« Reply #119 on: March 6, 2004, 10:23 AM »
Even dictionary.com hates microsoft windows
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=defenestration

(See the last use of the word towards the bottom of the page)