Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121726 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I can't be bothered by too much going on in the spiderman movies, at least from the other issues standpoint.  I'm not keen on the multiple villain aspect (though maybe they're building towards a Sinister Six theme for S6 :-*) myself either.  I think though that like Mikey's observation I didn't notice Venom really in there, other than Topher as Brock taking a picture, so yeah, probably he'll be a focal point for S4.  I'm ok with the hobgoblin concept though not liking the approach - it should be a batwinged flying device, not a freaking snowboard.  There's always been a lot of overlap between DC/Marvel so that there are elements (gauntlet blades) that are similar to another comic book movie doesn't bother me. 

I think they did a stellar job with Sandman in terms of the effects.  What I have a HUGE problem with is the notion that he is tied somehow to Uncle Ben.  I guess I missed it in all those years reading comics but I don't recall that link at all.  Yes, liberties will be taken with characters, but this is just too much of a stretch for me to approve of it.  I fully expect I'll really, really enjoy this movie but that's going to be a nitpick of mine for years to come. I'll grant them the opportunity to explain it (or hey, I'll just be embarassed here if someone can tell me it was in the comics all along) but suffice to say I'm going in with a chip on my shoulder about that one >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I'll be the second to admit not reading / knowing about a connection between the Sandman and Uncle Ben's death.

It always been clear to me that it was a nameless robber - the one that got away....

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2006, 04:05 PM »
There has been no connection between Uncle Ben and Sandman whatsoever in the comics. 

Why does there have to be a connection?  Why can't Spidey just go after Sandman for robbing a bank, killing a cat, jaywalking or some other crime?  Sandman's a bad guy, Spidey stops bad guys.  Simple.  Making Sandman having something to do with Ben's death is just something that doesn't need to be done.  Contrary to popular belief, most people actually have some brains and can comprehend the whole "with great power comes great responsibility".  There doesn't need to be any extra motivation for Spidey to stop Sandman.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Yeah, I don't remember any connection between Sandman and Uncle Ben either.  There seems to be a number of theories going around regarding this "connection", and I'm hoping its not as close as it looks right now in the trailer.  Some are saying he might have been the "boss" to the thug that actually shot Ben, some are saying its all a "dream" of Peter's - influenced by the symbiote, and some are saying its just and outright lie to mislead Pete/Spidey.  Who knows, I guess we'll see in May, but I'm kind of hoping there isn't a real, direct connection between Sandman and Uncle Ben's death.  It won't ruin the movie/franchise for me or anything, but I kind of hope it isn't too definite a connection.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2006, 05:04 PM »
I'm thinking outright lie to manipulate peter into a battle with sandman.  Think of it from a writer's perspective:

Spidey is trying to destroy Sandman because of misplaced blame for Uncle Ben's death while Harry Osborn is trying to destroy Spidey because of misplaced blame for his father's death.

It's beautiful.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2006, 06:29 PM »
There's never been any connection in the comics between Sandman and Uncle Ben's death.  It has always been the robber that Spider-Man let get away that killed hi.  It was that realization that has haunted Spider-Man since the original comic!

I just do not think that sort of thing is necessary, but I'll wait and see before I judge them on it.  They have a good track record so far.  I think a better plot point would be that Spider-Man (driven by the alien symbiote) would go too far in almost kill Sandman instead of just subduing him....it would be more in synch with the character from the comics.

But, like I said, I'll reserve judgement until I see where they're going with it.  Too tough to determine the story from a teaser.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Whoa! That trailer rocks! Going to make some big $$$ at the box office.  ;D

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2006, 09:02 PM »
I've read the past few posts, and I just wanted to toss in this nugget:

Raimi has said quite a few times, Harry isn't Green Goblin 2, or Hobgoblin.

I myself was pleased with the trailer to an extent. It seems like there will be a ton going on in this movie, building to a huge battle royal, with Spider-Mans villains, and his inner self. I'm quite pleased that Raimi isn't pimping out this movie as VENOM, as big a Venom fan as I am.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 13, 2006, 09:49 AM »
Trailer 3 has been leaked and is on Youtube...apparently wasn't supposed to hit until February.  It's raw and has a lot to go in post-prod, but it's pretty nice.

Stick around for the end...the very end ...after the movie logo.  Something a lot of you have been waiting to see.

And tell me if I'm wrong, but is that Felicia Hardy at the 2:31 mark??

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 13, 2006, 11:42 AM »
Felicia Hardy?  Gwen Stacy?  I'd say the hair is the former, but can't be sure as the woman appears twice for only a split second.  If it is Hardy I'm sticking with my building towards the Sinister Six theory.  Venom's neat looking but clearly going to be all cgi which is no surprise, but we'll see how that look holds up. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #145 on: November 13, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Stick around for the end...the very end ...after the movie logo.  Something a lot of you have been waiting to see.

You mean. . .

?

(Courtesy some dude at DVDTalk.)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #146 on: November 13, 2006, 12:38 PM »
I have a feeling that right after you see that shot....we go to the closing credits.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 13, 2006, 01:27 PM »
And tell me if I'm wrong, but is that Felicia Hardy at the 2:31 mark??

Felicia Hardy? Gwen Stacy? I'd say the hair is the former, but can't be sure as the woman appears twice for only a split second. If it is Hardy I'm sticking with my building towards the Sinister Six theory. 

Shots I grabbed from the trailer, it's Gwen.

Not sure of this pic.

More pics of Gwen back in May from JoBlo.com:  Gwen Stacy looks good

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2006, 02:50 PM »
Ah...well I guess I missed the memo somewhere that Gwen was going to be in this one.

I'm more than a little bummed about that...they told the Gwen Stacy story already in Spidey 1, just with MJ, and they did it beautifully.  If we really needed a love triangle for Pete in this film, Felicia should have been the shoe in.  Especially with these themes of Pete exploring his darker side...Perfect opportunity for him to run around with the Black Cat.

Bummer.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Geez, I was just guessing at Gwen :o  Cool.

BTW, I think whoever suggested that the Sandman/Ben link is just to set Spidey up might be right.  The dialogue in that trailer is noncommittal from Sandman so I think he just doesn't get a chance to say no.  I hope. 

Oh.  Any thoughts as to whether Harry (not the Hobgoblin) kills Gwen instead of his dad?