Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121714 times)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I'm a big Spidey fan like Brian, but I'm not too keen on more movies.  I'm just not sure where they can really go with the story.  For me, Spiderman has always been kind of soap opera-ish and it's the melodrama that makes the character more interesting.  Ben's dead.  It seems Gwen Stacy is an afterthought.  MJ is Pete's love interest from the start. 

Sure, there are tons of villains left, but I just don't know where they can go with three more.

Couldn't agree more on the melodrama...spidey books for me were not so much about the villain of the month, but more about how the villain of the month was really screwing up Pete's personal life.  And that's what made it magical.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2007, 11:26 PM »
I never read the comics....but I loved the animated series as a teen and I love these movies so I hope they continue the series, but I'm sure taste will die if they replace Toby ala George & Val ala Batman...ala goodbye
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2007, 11:28 PM »
George Clooney was a horrible Batman.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2007, 11:35 PM »
George Clooney was a horrible Batman.

Kevin

Good point....What's your point?

Mike
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 5, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Flawed. :(

A lot of people are going to hate this movie and rip it to shreds, but I think the problem with it is more of a case of the story needing another pass to make it cohesive rather than it having no redeeming quality. I felt that there were lots of great themes and sequences, it just didn't fit together yet and I think it could have been done well, even with all three/four story lines.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 5, 2007, 11:15 AM »
i liked the movie. BUT it did feel rushed at times AND there was something about one of the villians that just pissed me off. still a good movie though.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 5, 2007, 05:28 PM »
I just got back from Spidey 3 and LOVED IT!!! 

spoiler down below??...yes!

Except for some drawn out scenes regarding loved ones...and the singing crap..Bruce Campbell played and excellent cameo IMO.  I sure wish they could revive the Evil Dead franchise.  I won't say much more, but I loved the baddies in this movie and I wish Spidey could have kept the nasty black costume....

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 5, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Just came back from Spiderman 3. Excellent! My favorite of the three. Venom looked badass! Not as big as I thought he'd be, but he still looked cool. Stan Lee has a speaking cameo, and Bruce Campbell's cameo was pretty funny too.

30/10 Can't wait for Spiderman 4!

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 5, 2007, 07:36 PM »
It grossed an estimated $59 million yesterday.  Not bad.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #234 on: May 6, 2007, 08:58 AM »
I was not impressed. Spider-Man and Venom are my favorite hero/villian and they ruined this movie. So much potential. My biggest problem is of course how they handled Venom. From the simplest thing to saying I instead of we when he spoke to the end of the movie. I dont want to give any spoilers for those who have not seen it yet, but not what i was expecting. I waited til after the credits hoping there would be something, but nothing.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 6, 2007, 12:46 PM »
I agree that it was odd seeing Venom talk without Foreman's face reveal, but I thought his character was spectacular and I'm sure we'll see him again.  I always loved the Venom/Carnage thing.  Never read a lick from the comics, but I was really into the cartoon as well as X-Men in the 90's.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 6, 2007, 04:12 PM »
$148,000,000 for the weekend.

I saw the flick & I enjoyed it.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #237 on: May 6, 2007, 04:29 PM »
Wow!  Impressive numbers, I wonder if Pirates of the Carribean will do as well.

We saw it Friday night and enjoyed it, I think they tryied to do too much with this movie though.  Overall though, I thought it was great.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 6, 2007, 06:20 PM »
I'll see it don't know when, I just got into Spider-Man.

KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 7, 2007, 09:04 AM »
We went and saw it on Friday afternoon, and really enjoyed it as well.  I've seen some pretty mixed reviews online for it, which I can see, but I liked it.  I'll have to let it sink in more, I'm not sure if its my favorite of the trilogy - but I like all three.  I get a little biased though, as I'm just happy seeing Spidey on-screen.  There did seem to be a lot going on, but it was cool seeing some more of Spidey's villains on the big screen.  I liked the Sandman, but would have liked to see him fight in his "normal" form a little more.  I won't get into it anymore in case of spoilers.  I thought Venom looked pretty cool, although he wasn't in the movie a whole heck of a lot.  It sounds like Sony has already confirmed that they will be making 4-6, but nothing on whether or not Raimi/Maguire/Dunst will be returning.  I was happy to see it get the box office record over Pirates, hopefully it can hang onto that.