Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121756 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #315 on: January 12, 2010, 07:37 PM »
Apparently Michael Bay is telling people he wants to direct the rebooted Spidey franchise. If that ends up happening, I'll be skipping the next few Spider-Man movies until the next reboot.

Seriously?  That's funny.  Too bad for Spidey fans, but at least the movies will rake in some cash if it's true.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2010, 12:11 AM »
I am suprised they are rebooting Spider Man.  It seems like that franchise just got started.  The 3rd one was not the best but that's because they shoved way to much stuff into it.  It had Sandman, The Goblin 2, Venom, and a black Spidey outfit.  I think they just should have made another one with Tobey and had him fight one villian.  Now we are going to get Peter Parker falls for Mary Jane, gets bit by the spider, becomes SpiderMan, and most likely fights the Goblin.  We just saw that film it seems like.  Hopefully it comes out good.  I truly hope they don't try to make it all dark like Batman though.  I am not in the mood for a serious Spidey.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 13, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I posted about this on the PSWCS message list.

I'm highly disappointed with the notion of a reboot. For one, it's WAY too soon.

I can't really picture anyone else playing Spidey buy Tobey McGuire now. Kind of like Hugh Jackman/Wolverine.

Granted the third movie was a bit over the top, but it's a movie about a super hero, what can people expect.

I don't like the idea of a dark Spidey. He's ALWAYS been "you're FRIENDLY neighborhood Spiderman." Not "you're moody angst driven Spookeyman..."

I prolly end up seeing it, but I won't look to make this a must see on Premiere night like I have with all of the other Spidey movies as of late.

This certainly won't make me want to buy any toys from the flick.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 13, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I don't like the idea of a dark Spidey. He's ALWAYS been "you're FRIENDLY neighborhood Spiderman." Not "you're moody angst driven Spookeyman..."

That's something that has scared me a bit about some of the press release stuff released from Sony (or maybe it was some "insider info", I don't remember).  They were saying they wanted a more "gritty and comteporary" take on Spider-Man.  Contemporary can be ok, but "gritty" isn't really about what Spider-Man is.  It is sort of like awhile back when WB was saying they were starting from scratch with all their hero movie franchises, going "darker" off the success of the Dark Knight.  We've discussed it in the Super Hero movie thread before, but dark and gritty works for something like Batman....but not Spidey.  I'm willing to keep an open mind about the reboot, and in a way I sort of like Spidey starting (and staying) in HS for a little bit since that is how it was in the comics...I just hope they get a good cast/director to steer the ship here.  Oh, and they have to keep J.K. Simmons as JJ :).

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 13, 2010, 06:56 PM »
This is a perfect example of Hollywood studio executives who don't have any kind of a memory.  2002's Spiderman was first and foremost AN ORIGIN STORY.  And Spiderman's origin story is one of the best known of all comic book character origins.  Not an insignificant consideration. 

And then look at the box office gross's of the three Raimi/Maguire movies:
Spiderman:  $821,708,551
Spiderman 2:  $783,766,341   
Spiderman 3:  $890,871,626

Why would you argue with the business success of this team?  Roughly $2.5 billion in worldwide box office gross is nothing to laugh at.  If that team is having a hard time either scheduling the project or finding the right script?  Let them take their time.  Because ultimately it is the work of the director and cast that translates to a great film...not some studio exec.

Recasting the Hulk franchise and changing directors didn't lead to a demonstrable uptick at the box office.  Both movies performed comparably at the theaters.  But look at Iron Man.  You had a great cast with a savvy director and the result was a movie that outgrossed both of the Hulk films combined.  I sense a bit of a pattern at work.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 14, 2010, 10:59 AM »
The problem here is greed and power. The Spidey team want more money and they want to do it their own way. 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 14, 2010, 11:44 AM »
The problem here is greed and power. The Spidey team want more money and they want to do it their own way. 

Well I don't see too much of a problem with that. They made tons of money for Marvel and now they want a bigger cut. Makes sense. Marvel would still have to approve any story, and I think a story involving Vulture (which is what Raimi wants) should have been out of the question for Marvel.

It's like football players wanting more for doing better for a team.

Personally I'd rather see other villains than what Raimi wants to do, but so long as the movies stay popular, I'm certain they'd get around to some of them. Electro and Shocker in case you were wondering. In fact due to the similarities both could be in the same movie as maybe an evil team against Spidey.  Mysterio might be worth checking out, but he'd need a serious upgrade for the times, IMO.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 15, 2010, 10:38 AM »
I'm sure nothing is anywhere close to official, but the latest rumblings is that Sony is talking to Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) to direct the next "new" Spidey, and that it will be shot in 3D.  Grain of salt, and all of that....but I hope we get some news on the new direction before too long (especially casting).  If they are going to go younger/high school age with the reboot, I hope they get actors young enough to stay in the roles for awhile (and not necessarily cast 30 year olds as high school students).  It can work in some cases I suppose, but I'm hoping they can find a good cast that can stay with the franchise for awhile.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Another article about what may have killed the Spider-Man 4 movie with Raimi (with the primarily details being that he wanted it to "be like Avatar" and the storyline involved the Vulture, Peter falling in love with - and being engaged to - the Vulture's daughter, then Spidey killing the Vulture and feeling guilty and giving up being Spider-Man at the end of the movie).  Who knows what is true, or if it even matters anymore, but its interesting to read.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #324 on: January 15, 2010, 02:16 PM »
Thank God this thing never went into production.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 15, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Thank God this thing never went into production.

Yeah, I have to say from the various story information I've read since this cancellation broke, it really sounded pretty awful.  You never know how much of it to believe, but both versions (Raimi's and the studio's additions/changes) didn't sound too great.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2010, 10:10 AM »
I'm sure nothing is anywhere close to official, but the latest rumblings is that Sony is talking to Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) to direct the next "new" Spidey, and that it will be shot in 3D.  Grain of salt, and all of that....but I hope we get some news on the new direction before too long (especially casting).  If they are going to go younger/high school age with the reboot, I hope they get actors young enough to stay in the roles for awhile (and not necessarily cast 30 year olds as high school students).  It can work in some cases I suppose, but I'm hoping they can find a good cast that can stay with the franchise for awhile.

Marc Webb as director of the next Spidey movie is now confirmed.

Also, it is uncomfirmed at this point, but it is rumored that the new movie series will feature mostly unknown actors/actresses and will draw inspiration more from the Ultimate Spider-Man series than the classic comics.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:50 PM by Brian »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2010, 01:45 AM »
I've always been a fan of big franchises like this using some lesser known actors and actresses.  I see the director and producer's points of view, they want a name to draw people in, but the down side is if the franchise takes off how do you get the "name" actor to stick with it?

I think Harry Potter is a great example.  Could you have done that film in the US with whatever "hot" child actors of the moment were, and get them to comit to 7 (now 8) films over 10 years?

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2010, 02:10 AM »
Also, it is uncomfirmed at this point, but it is rumored that the new movie series will feature mostly unknown actors/actresses and will draw inspiration more from the Ultimate Spider-Man series than the classic comics.

Great.  Because that's what everybody wanted after Spider-Man 3: MORE emo Spidey.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2010, 06:01 PM »
The next Spidey movie is officially scheduled to hit theaters on July 3rd, 2012, and in 3D.  Still no star attached, although I think Logan Lerman (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) is the recent rumor - which I guess wouldn't be too bad for a high school version of Peter/Spidey.