Author Topic: The Spider-Man Movie Series  (Read 121482 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: The Spider-Man Movie Series
« Reply #540 on: March 24, 2014, 10:20 AM »
I saw an interview recently too where the director said Rhino is only in the film for like two minutes. Why even bother at that point?

To set up the gajilliony-dollar Sinister Six films/franchise that they announced, of course.

More and more it's looking like this is my least anticipated summer superhero flick.  Might not even catch it in theaters at this point (full disclosure - I ended up waiting for Netflix for the first one too).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Maybe he serves as the intro villain?  "We join our hero Spider-Man mid-fight against the evil super-villain Rhino!"  Explosions.  Knock-out.  Rhino to jail.  It'd be better than them starting out with Peter knocking out some mugger.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Maybe he is like the Underminer in the Incredibles. He shows up for the last 30 seconds and Spidy goes to work on him.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Exactly.  There's all sorts of legit reasons he'd only appear briefly.  So I wouldn't write the movie off as awful just because he makes a cameo.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2014, 11:10 AM »
I hope that's the case, really.  Having too many villains can dilute the story.  Though interesting that Paul Giamatti would do a quick appearance... though it happened all the time with Mission Impossible movies and Cillian Murphy in the latest Batman trilogy.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2014, 06:25 PM »
I think they are developing Paul's character and only at the end he gets the suit. It's kind of a to be continued thing.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 2, 2014, 04:16 PM »
Caught it this morning. I liked the parts that didn't involve Spider-Man in costume or Electro. Imagine if the films that built up the Avengers were combined into one 2.5 hour movie, but with the Sinister Six, and that's what ASM2 is. Better than the last one at least.

MVP of the film is the guy who played Harry.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #548 on: May 2, 2014, 05:04 PM »
Dean DeHaan.  His dad is a member of PSWCS.   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 2, 2014, 10:07 PM »
Got a chance to see this today as well.  Some things I liked, some things could have been better.  I sort of look at the Spidey movies through rose colored glasses.  I got my first Spidey comic when I was 5, basically learned to read with Spidey comics, and have been hooked pretty much ever since.  I think Andrew Garfield makes a great Peter Parker/Spidey, and his chemistry with his real-life girl Emma Stone as Gwen is very well done as well.  I really liked Dane DeHaan as Harry as well.  The Spidey suit in this movie is my favorite of any of them I think, and looks like it came right off the page.

Electro, I wasn't really sold on.  Not sure why, just wasn't working for me.  The movie seemed to jump around a lot as well, but I think a lot of that was due to future movie/movie universe set up.  The Rhino stuff was pretty minimal, but has some potential.  I'm glad that had more of a resolution to the whole story involving his parents set up in the first movie.  All in all, not perfect but an improvement on the last one I thought.  I will admit to having problems completely disliking anything Spidey or Star Wars, and tend to watch a lot of these popcorn movies like a kid would.  I'm always just excited to see these heroes on the big screen, whereas it was just Superman (and later Batman) when I was a kid.  Pretty good movie though, and I'm curious to see where it heads from here (staying spoiler free as possible).  As a side note to those with kids, our daughter (who is a Spidey fan) didn't enjoy it.  Thought it needed more action and was "too sad" in parts.

As for an after credits sequence, I had already heard about the clip from X-Men (as part of the deal to get Marc Webb out of his contract with Fox apparently), but others in our audience were like "what the hell?"

Dean DeHaan.  His dad is a member of PSWCS.   8)

He was actually on Fallon this week, and asked if his parents were fans.  He talked about his dad having a basement with "floor to ceiling Star Wars and a Princess Leia dartboard", and mentioned that the first thing he wanted to do after finding out his son got the role was to tell his "comic book group".  Kind of a neat story.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 3, 2014, 03:42 PM »
I dozed off a few times.  meh...

...and I have absolutely no clue how the X-Men ties into Spiderman but ya.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 3, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Sony owns the rights to Spiderman, and Fox has the rights to X-Men.  So any tie-in does seem a little forced.  But I can see studios that have the rights to Marvel properties trying to work together in an effort to present a similar kind of continuity to what Disney and Marvel studios have been able to establish to great effect.

As for this movie?  Eh.  Probably going to skip it.  I tapped out on Spiderman movies after the third Raimi/Maguire film.  The reboot seemed like a clear case of Sony trying to retain the rights, rather than letting Marvel and Disney regain control over Spiderman.  I've had multiple opportunities to check out The Amazing Spiderman on cable, and I just don't feel any interest.  I hope that at some point the rights are going to revert back to Marvel Studios, because their projects have really given a lot of fans a sense of optimism that these comic properties are in good hands.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2014, 04:07 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #552 on: May 3, 2014, 05:30 PM »
I enjoyed it pretty well.  I'd say it was my second favorite to the first Spidey 2.  Garfield does really well in the role.

Spoiler:  I was kinda surprised they actually went through with the Gwen Stacey part.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 3, 2014, 06:02 PM »
Spoiler:  I was kinda surprised they actually went through with the Gwen Stacey part.

I saw a trailer with Gwen's graduation speech... any speech like that usually means that character will die.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 4, 2014, 12:48 PM »
I enjoyed it pretty well.  I'd say it was my second favorite to the first Spidey 2.  Garfield does really well in the role.

That was a huge plot point in Spidey's comic history.  And it's something that I would expect to get explored since that event had so much of an impact on Peter Parker going forward.  Sam Raimi looked like he might have been going there with his series when he introduced Gwen Stacey in Spiderman 3.  But when Sony decided to reboot that effectively ended the possibility of that happening in the established Raimi/Maguire series.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback