Author Topic: Torchwood?  (Read 8051 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Torchwood?
« on: November 9, 2006, 10:22 AM »
I know Torchwood is a BBC tv show and not on in the states but my friend has been getting copies of the show and I've got  say its pretty cool. There are alot of Doctor Who references and Captain Jack has some great background stories. The show is much like Men in Black combined with the X-Files with some nudity and language. Basically Torchwood collects alien technology and use it to defend the earth again alien attacks. Anyone see this show?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
Re: Torchwood?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 01:30 AM »
They started it!?!?! Captain Jack is awesome!!!
Hopefully Sci-Fi will pick it up
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 02:26 AM »
Isn't Torchwood the weapon they've been referring to in the second season of Doctor Who?  Iit has it's own series in the UK? 

I'd love to see it if so.  Come on, Sci-Fi, import it!

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 07:13 AM »
Torchwood is the spin-off of Dr. Who.  So far, I believe it has been mentioned in every Season 2 episode so far.  Since I'm also in the US, I'm behind what has been shown in the UK.  I believe it has been mentioned in all episodes for Season 2 including the Cybermen episodes.  It would cool if Sci-Fi does pick it up.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 03:55 PM »
There was a Cyberwoman in ep4 last Sunday which was pretty cool to see.  I'm still not sure what the style is supposed to be...sort of an adult Buffy.  It's not as dark or realistic as the x-files or as funny as it thinks it is.  The story arc is shaping up very well and it's nice to get some background on Jack who I hoped would join Dr Who full time but won't be back until Series 3.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:56 PM by Rob L »
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 05:35 PM »
OK...not sure if I understood right... Jack will be back in Doctor Who in series 3?
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 06:29 PM »
OK...not sure if I understood right... Jack will be back in Doctor Who in series 3?

I sure hope so. I loved his character.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dr. Zoltar

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 07:32 PM »
Crap!  This is being aired now?!?!  Time to do some bit torrenting...

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Its cool to actually be on a forum where people know who the character is...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:29 AM »
It's funny, Paul, I meant to bring Trochwood and Doctor Who up yesterday at lunch and totally forgot.  :P We would have been there another hour boring Jeff and Jay to tears.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 11:29 AM »

OK, was able to check out the first two episodes...
I like the connections to what happened to Captain Jack at end of Doctor Who season 1 and how it has left him with his "condition" that he wants kept secret. I am not 100% sure, but I think the coat he wears in this is the same one he was wearing in 1941 when he first met the Doctor and Rose...
That and I had my suspitions about the severed hand in the jar and after events of episode two I knew I was sure of the connection...Its the Doctor's severed hand from the Christmas episode!!!

For those who else have seen this show, isnt there a tiny bit of the feel of "Angel" to the production?

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2006, 12:09 AM »
I love the show myself. My roommate " acquires" every episode so I havent missed one yet. I have taken to calling it " C.S.I.Cardiff". Captain Jack is awesome, but my favorite character is Gwen. Possessed of the greatist blank stare in the history of the BBC.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this weeks episode, it looks extremely creepy. Not that the fairy episode from last week wasn't.

It definately has a Buffy/Angel type of appeal to it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I've got all eight episodes now if anyone wants it. Great show. It's kind of a cross between the X-files and Men in Black. I don't see why they don't release this show here. All they would have to do is clean up the language a little and reshoot one nude scene so far.

Offline Rob L

• Jedi Initiate
  • Timelord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2007, 03:47 PM »
Spoiler below

The last 2 episodes aired last night and at last we get to understand what's going on in Jack's head.  He was so happy when the tardis turned up at the end to (presumably) get him into series 3 of Doctor Who at some point.
Palitoy...it ain't yellow :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2007, 09:43 AM »
So why do you think Jack keeps and protects the Doctor's hand so much? Is he waiting to get more parts of the Doctor? Maybe he is going to make a FrankenDoctor?