Author Topic: In the spirit of Christmas...  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
In the spirit of Christmas...
« on: December 1, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Since Matt has the secret Santa thread going, I thought I'd make a small suggestion. 

I know I have a lot of toys (dregs, if you will) that I can't trade or seemingly even sell below cost to anyone that are perfectly good and in the package.  I'd like to suggest that folks follow my lead and take them somewhere locally that can make use of them.  I'm sure most places have a big bin in a mall where you can drop off new, unwrapped toys for Christmas that end up going to folks that can't afford them.  My intent is to go through the stuff I have an unload what I can't make use of.  No sense in opening something only to throw it in a drawer or bin to never be seen again, especially when the option is you might make some kid's Christmas much more enjoyable. 

Just a thought.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: In the spirit of Christmas...
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2005, 02:17 PM »
Definitely!  I've got a stack of loot I've been collecting through out the year (left-overs from trades/cases, etc) that will be headed to the local Toys fot Tots bin.

"Do good things and good things will happen to you." - Earl

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2005, 02:32 PM »
I was planning to do the same with my extras that I have over the years.  I'm going to try one more time to get some of my money back through a yard sale but all of the toys that don't sale I will probally drop off to my local fire stations for our local toy drive here in SoCal.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 1, 2005, 02:47 PM »
Last year I made a special shopping trip to pick up some toys for our local charity and it was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had.  Just knowing that some kids were going to wake up with a smile on their faces made me all warm and fuzzy inside - I like that feeling.  :)

Excellent idea for a thread, good sir.  

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2005, 03:28 PM »
Good idea. I try to do this each year.  8)
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #6 on: December 1, 2005, 03:32 PM »
Every year Garrison Titan does a toy drive or two around Christmas. We give all the toys to a local Children's charity (Treehouse) and last year we did a second drive for Child's Play (the Penny Arcade charity).  Our drive this year is next Saturday.

I find that every year, I see a few Star Wars toys from past lines in our baskets and I always think it's awesome that people come out with stuff from home for us.  Usually we have at least a few folks from Rebelscum stop by with toys they took out of their collection.

Every Toys R Us usually has a toys for tots been or some other such bin around their store, so if you don't have a friendly 501st Garrison in the area....that's a great place to take your unwanted  (or even beloved) toys.
Got Clones?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 1, 2005, 08:26 PM »
Yeah, I usually do this every Christmas. Throughout the year, I do end up with a bunch of "extras" - figures that were part of a case that I bought, figures that were bought with a custom in mind that never got made, stuff I bought for someone who needed it one day and not the next - whatever. So ever year around this time, I go through the extras and donate all the stuff I have that I no longer want/need. In past years, I've also ended up donating entire lines of toys that I no longer wanted to collect (Simpsons, Gundam, Batman, etc.). My Dad was in charge of the Fire Dept Toy Drive every year, so I would just give him the stuff and he would take care of it, make sure it got wrapped, and then they would drive around town on the back of the Fire Truck on Christmas Eve and distribute the toys. He no longer does that, but the past few years there has always been a toy drive somewhere near mu job that I have put stuff into. This year will be no exception. I've got some X2, Spider-Man 2, McFarlane, a fe wleftover Gundams from last year, and (of course) some Star Wars stuff that I'm just waiting to see the box for. Should be soon, now that December is here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: December 1, 2005, 08:30 PM »
I've actually got a couple things I'm donating to the PSWCS Toy Drive this year.  I didn't last year because, well, I forgot, but this year I'm just leaving the stuff in my car so it'll be there Saturday when I'm at the toy show.

Even though it's some POTF2 figures mostly I think it'll maybe make some kid happy...  I hope that's the case anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #9 on: December 2, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Every year I donate money to Make a Wish foundation, St Jude's hospital and get a few extra toys for the Toys for Tots bin.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 2, 2005, 10:57 AM »
Way to go everyone! :)  We usually do Toys for Tots and/or St. Jude's.  In addition we're going to give to the Armed Services YMCA Holiday Drive.  They're providing food baskets and toys to families of enlisted service men and women who are deployed during the holidays.  They also have the children pick out pictures of their dad (or mom) and then volunteers make quilts for them with their favorite pictures of their absent parent so they can snuggle with them while they're gone :'( :)  I can PM the info if anyone is interested.  I hate to see a kid go without, especially at Christmas.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Let's all do something good this Holiday Season
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 02:49 PM »
I just got an idea that 'm hoping we can all participate in.

Why don't each of us get a minimum of 5 figures and give them to Toys For Tots, Children's Hospital, Salvation Army or some other children's charity.

There's quite a lot of people in these forums and if we all did a little bit, we could make a lot of less fortunate children a little happier this holiday season.

For the more scroogelike people, it is a chance to get rid of a bunch of pegwarmers.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's all do something good this Holiday Season
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 12:04 AM »
I'm in probably in a big way.  There's stuff that's been around here for a long time that I can't move even below cost, so it's all getting donated - McFarlane, Marvel Legends, Star Wars....

I'm just going to box up a bunch of it and take it down.

Great suggestion.

yours,
scrooge
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Let's all do something good this Holiday Season
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I towed off a bunch of stuff last week. I really didn't feel like taking the time to box it up and ship it out, so I took it to a drop-off site and rid myself of it.

There were about ten figures across different lines, but about 4 figures were SW figures.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk