Author Topic: Your Opinion on a Possible Christmas Idea  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Your Opinion on a Possible Christmas Idea
« on: November 22, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to get some of your opinions on a Christmas gift idea my wife and I were thinking about.  We have two nephews (ages 7 and 5), and we're in the process of picking up their Christmas presents.  They have always had an interest in Star Wars, I think particularly because of me, but the only movie they have seen is AOTC.  They know the basics from toys/commercials (they know "Skywalker", Vader, Yoda, Chewie and Stormtroopers), but I've always wanted to show them a little bit of the Original Trilogy.  I know they've never seen any of the movies.  Anyways, my question is, we can't afford to get them the whole trilogy with the other toys/etc. we've gotten them, but I thought about picking up one of the movies for them while th single disc versions are available.  Although Empire is my favorite, and Jedi might be more "kid" friendly, I was leaning towards the original Star Wars (A New Hope) because it is a fairly self contained story, introduces all the characters (Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Vader, Obi-Wan, etc.), and it was the one that captured so many of us years ago.  Do you think kids these days would enjoy these the way we did, or would I be better off getting them one of the Clone Wars DVDs or maybe even Revenge of the Sith?  I'd really like to show them some of the OT, but maybe they wouldn't find it as interesting as so many of us did/do.  I know many of you have kids, or maybe just opinions on this, and I was curious what you thought about this idea.  Thanks for any advice.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
Re: Your Opinion on a Possible Christmas Idea
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Our son fell in love with ANH last year when he was 4.  Although he likes the other movies, he still prefers the OT, especially ANH.  He seems to really "get" the characters, the storylines and the lessons.  The PT films don't seem to enthrall him as much.  The magic is still there with the OT, at least for him.   ANH seems like a great place to start for a kid.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Personally, I'd start with ANH.  Like you said, its just a nice self-contained story.  However, I saw a preview of the WM sales flyer for Friday.  I'm pretty sure I saw that they will have the individual discs on sale for less than $10 each.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Definitely OT.  That's my 5 year old son's preference by far.

ANH is the best starting point, for all the reasons you stated.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 09:06 PM »
My three year old son's favorites are ROTJ and TPM, in that order.  He cackles like a loon at Jar Jar's antics, he loves Darth Maul, Jabba and the Ewoks, and thinks the speeder bike and pod racing scenes are cool.

He's coming around to like ANH a little more, because he recognizes it from me playing Lego SW II.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 09:14 PM »
I was first introduced to Star Wars by a small flip of Kenobi fighting Vader (ANH) in the computer program Cinemania. I subsequently rented the OT from Blockbuster (my parents helped a little) and continued to do so until I bought it and thus began this strange hobby of mine.

I'd go with ANH.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:20 PM »
I'd have to agree with the idea of ANH.  It's where Star Wars really started, so I think it would be a great place for them to further delve into that galaxy far, far away.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 11:01 PM »
No, no, NO! Give them Empire and start them off to the dark side early! Corrupt them, please.

(this is a FORUM question was it not?)

Darth Slothus

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 02:45 AM »
I'd say ANH, ROTS may be to gory for them right now. ANH introduces all of the major OT characters except Yoda, Fett, Jabba (In a way) & Palpatine.

Those poor kids, their only impression of SW is AOTC. :-X
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m