Author Topic: hey, are you a star wars fan?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline ponda barfly

• Youngling
  • he doesnt like you
    • View Profile
hey, are you a star wars fan?
« on: June 3, 2003, 08:07 PM »
i got to thinking does anyone else have the experience of being the the bigest star wars fan that they know?

for many years i was it in star wars collecting in my area, i still dont know anyone in edinburgh, who has the knowledge i have, if your out there speak out, just interested in who feels this way. it was only when i found rebelscum over a year ago that i found my match

how about you

barfly

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: hey, are you a star wars fan?
« Reply #1 on: June 3, 2003, 11:20 PM »
Nope, not even close.  I've only seen a couple of guys locally with their collections, but they are impressive.  I might have passed them, but only because I'm insane when it comes to collecting.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out there are guys with better collections locally.  Actually check that, Maureen from RS staff (main page) is so far ahead on anyone else locally it's spooky.  Now that I think of it I know two or three others closer to her than me.

Nationally I'm really far down the list.  DSJ, Membraneman, Koda (all members here) are far ahead of me.  Nitrog71, Lord Perrin Goldeneyes, brew and a bunch of others are probably ahead too.  Lots of others equal.  

Once I set foot outside the Canadian snow, it's hopeless.  I'm just an Ewok hating schmuck from the little leagues. ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline hansloroll

• Youngling
  • attempting to complete my vintage collection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2003, 02:34 AM »
I am indeed an overzealous fan who has too much time on his hands when it comes to my favorite films.I know also that there are more people locally than I see in the stores but oh well we can't all be top dogs and I don't care to be.
attempting to complete my vintage collection .Available for sculpting and painting.cantina monsters and droids a favorite project.

obi_robz

« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2003, 08:29 AM »
I was an obsessive fan as a kid, but so were all my friends, and I never thought I knew any more than anyone else. In terms of collections, one of my mates had rich parents and was way ahead of all of us in terms of the number of figures he had, but I have no idea if he “knew” more about the films or the toys than the rest of us.

I only got back into collecting when TPM came out, and by then I didn’t know anyone else who liked Star Wars or Star Wars collecting. To be honest, once I’d seen the film, I was almost turned off being a fan myself. As a collector, I’m a complete newbie. I was wondering around in the collecting wilderness, knowing next to nothing, until I found RS last summer. I lurked and learned for about 6 months, and then started posting sometime in December last year.

I “think” I know a hell of a lot about the OT, but I’m always pleased to talk to other fans on the boards to keep my opinions fresh and interesting. There’s no one in my “real” life that I can talk about Star Wars with. In terms of collecting, I am definitely still a learner, but happily, with the help of the people here and at RS, I’m slowly getting up to speed. I just really enjoy learning new things about the hobby.

:)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2003, 09:13 AM »
As a fan since 1977, and a kid who soaked up as much trivial info as he could, studying for the day when George Lucas would come knocking on the door asking, "So, what do you know about Star Wars?" I'd have to say I'm probably the biggest fan in my neck of the woods.

When I talk with other collectors and fans, I'm surprised at how much MISinformation is out there regarding the toys, the films, etc. That's one of the main reasons I started posting on fan boards; to cut through the bull and speculation and share my wealth of knowledge so that fanboys can sleep a little easier at night.

I'm MisterPL and I'm here to help. 8)
Post sober.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2003, 06:18 PM »
I used to think I was, until I met my girlfriend. She read the EU books, and knows all the supporting characters names in the movies and such. I felt humbled. Then I joined the Seattle Star Wars Society, and got schooled yet again by all these costumed folks from the 501st.

Now I just realize I'm someone with a really freakin' huge toy collection, and that's about my only bragging right in the Star Wars world.  :)
Got Clones?

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: June 5, 2003, 02:08 AM »
Been collecting my toys since I can remember. Then in 1995 when POTF2 was re-introduced I was hooked all over again. In my area there are many who collect but not like I do. I have one impressive collection but I think that there may be more in my area that out do mine. I know that many contact me just to come over and see my collection. This makes me think that I am the geek who collects to much Star Wars and other toys.

As for the biggest fan, I do not consider myself the biggest fan that I know. I know some people who know more about Star Wars than I do; EU, technology, timelines, ect. I am just a fan who likes the movies and really loves the toys and the collectables that come along with it.

So as for collecting, I am a major player.

I have a question for you ponda barfly. By any chance are you from Edinburgh, Indiana?
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 5, 2003, 08:56 AM »
I honestly feel that I may very well be the biggest Star Wars collector in my area....say within a 50 mile radius.I've been in many stores,flea markets,yard sales and have NEVER ran into someone like me in all of my years in this area.......and definatly not someone that collects as much stuff as I do.

I constantly get stopped when I visit my local flea markets...people know I've been collecting for years....and they know my knowledge covers not just Star Wars...but almost every toy line......so dealers are always asking my thoughts on stuff....or want my help in Id'ing or etc.

God, I just realized what I just wrote sounds like I'm just a big headed fool......but I swear this isn't the case  ;D
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

obi_robz

« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2003, 12:07 PM »
I have a question for you ponda barfly. By any chance are you from Edinburgh, Indiana?

Just in case pb doesn’t answer, I can tell you that he’s from Edinburgh, capital of Scotland. I know because I’ve done a couple of trades with him :) .

God, I just realized what I just wrote sounds like I'm just a big headed fool......but I swear this isn't the case  ;D

Well, the “fool” part isn’t true, anyway  ;D .

« Last Edit: June 5, 2003, 12:12 PM by obi_robz »

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2003, 12:24 PM »

Well, the “fool” part isn’t true, anyway  ;D .

Hehehe, thanks ;)  I swear I'm not the stuck up kinda collector......I'm the guy that would invite you over to have some freshly BBQ'ed Fajitas,Steak,suasage,ribs or chicken....wash it down with some beer....and let you go all thru my collection....heck, I might even hook you up with something ....ya just never know ;)

Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2003, 02:15 PM »
I know I am not a top dog when it comes to Star Wars collecting.  However, my collection is quite large.   Mine mainly consists of the action figures and 12inch from vintage up through now and the vehicles, ships, playsets that go along with the lines.  I do have a lot of carded stuff as well but mainly from 1995 on.  

I stay away from the prop replicas, store displays, PVC figurines, and extra stuff like that.  Yet, I have many things in the collection that are not toy-related.  If I go to collectible shows and such I usually act like the other person knows more than me, but usually I know exactly what is going on and can see through the bull.  

My only major collecting mistake was not sitting in line for a Jorg Sacul at Celebration 2 and actually having fun at the booths and such.  That and trying not to get trampled by the large crowd :)

Offline ponda barfly

• Youngling
  • he doesnt like you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2003, 03:13 PM »
thanks for fielding that one rob, yes im from edinburgh scotland,and yes i dont check the forums enough, does anyone else wonder how shops like forbidden planet keep going when i seem to be the only person who buys star wars stuff there?

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2003, 03:29 PM »
Thanks. The reason I asked is that about two weeks ago I was in Edinburgh, IN. and I ran into a guy who said that there was not many people in the area who collect Star Wars and he felt that he was like the only one around.

STAR WARS COLLECTORS RULE!!! :)
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com