Author Topic: Are we serious or not??  (Read 9340 times)

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Are we serious or not??
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2007, 06:43 PM »
I think the above speaks fo itself. Do you think we can come up with even more threads to waste precious time to debate and make 1/2 desisions?  Not only that but we are now delving into making a website about something that does not physically exist yet! How about a Radio show or group uniforms? We need to stop blowing hot air and get off our butts! I've been waiting for instructions since I submited my canyon scene (please see my last post on concept and design thread.) I tried the frapper thing to keep myself buisy but not very many people latched on. So much energy is spent on indecision and questioning I feel like I'm  shopping for maternity clothing with my wife (does this make my butt look big?).

Let's get glue gun burnt and exacto cuts WE GOT A FREAKING DIO TO BUILD!

ps when it's all done , A website would be nice to bask in.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2007, 07:18 PM »
Well guys, I have to agree with Ryan on damn near every point he brought up. Mostly because I have felt the same way.

Case in point, I had 3 submissions for my last project. Until Fritz came along a couple of weeks ago there were only Chewie and myself. ANd I let the project go on for almost a month and a half longer that usual.

Now granted, there ain't a whole hell of a lot we can do with custom figures if thers no booth or dio, so I've pretty much sat back and watched. Days would go by with little or no activity on the UGP board.

Little or no activity on the customs boards in general. Hell, it's been 3 weeks since I updated my thread with not a single visit at all. Not that that really bothers me but it is at least a little discouraging.

Am I ready to throw in the towel yet HELLS NO.

I don't think that this project is dead yet. And If I'm going down, i'm going down swinging.

BUt again, there is nothing much I can do without participation.

Theres not much that can be done without confirmation of boothspace, and the diorama to go with it.

At this point my hands are tied.

At this point I wont be going to C4, but there is still a chance that I could. But I wont know till the last minute where it won't matter anyway.

The question is how can we get the participation we need to fulfil the goals presented to us?

I want to see this happen.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 08:05 PM »
I think it's important for what Ryan said to be said.  There is a lot to consider and perhaps not enough people to achieve the original vision.  I see a few options, assuming the booth space is granted to us.  First of all, does this need to be so ambitious that it's all or nothing?  I'm worried that the fun is lost if people are treating it like a submission to ILM.  This is really just a collaboration of customizers.  I'd love to see Glassman's plan made into reality, but it would surely be difficult.  A second option we may want to consider is a display of customs only, as opposed to an environment scene.  Consider this: Niub's is going to be an environment with little to no custom figures.  What if, to be different, we set up display shelving and line up custom figures and vehicles as if they were art pieces?  The shipping, transportation, and booth space would be optimal, and I guarantee you'll get more participation if it's custom figures rather than big landscape pieces and buildings.  Think about it!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 08:13 PM »
Another suggestion: perhaps one smaller environment rather than the several areas that are planned now?  What about taking up 6 feet of space instead of 9 or 10, and just packing it full of more customs than what would be spread out over 9-10 feet?  There would be room to sit, move around it, and less chances of bumps to knock things down.  I think a 5-6 foot table of a city block with a rebel/Imperial shootout OR a woodland scene OR a spaceport would be much more feasible!
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I was looking at that Outlander club link and the thing that stuck out in my head was it was aproximatly 4' x4'
Thats half our planned space for one club.  While it was oversized, what we have invisioned is much biggeer and needs the room.

I think that reducing the dio even more than it already has been would kill it.

Like i mentioned, booth or no booth we should still do this. Maybe no booth will be a blessing. We will loose alot of constraints that are (imo) ruining the scope of the project. 

Now that, is a dicussion for after februery's booth announcements, but maybe we start thinking about it now and when we find out about the booths we decide if the booth is realistic in terms of our "vision" of the Ultimate Group Project. and not the " That's all we could get to fit on this table Project"

Is ryan correct? yes about 99%.  Can we still do this C4 or not?   I dont know. But we should try.
Can we still complete this project? YES I BELIEVE SO!!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 06:24 PM »
I have a hard time disagreeing with just about anything that Ryan said.  However, I also think we can still pull this off.  Most people I know work very well under contrained timelines (aren't we all a bunch of procrastinators anyway?).

My opinion, someone (or a very small group) needs to make the executive decision on what exactly the size, scope, and locale will be to put this together.  We can't rely on group consensus.  Decisions need to be made, assignments need to be give and progress HAS to be made (just like
Phruby said). 

For what its worth, if we don't get the booth, I'm not so much in favor of setting up an alternative viewing site (for the convention).  I just think its hard to ask people who are spending a TON of money to go to C4 as fans to go somewhere else to go look at our little display.  I wouldn't even feel that comfortable asking.  If we don't get the booth of our own, maybe someone who knows Nuib Nuib better could ask if display our dio in his area (like the other dios that were displayed in C3).

I'm still 100% committed to making as many diorama pieces as I can.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 07:02 PM »
I was looking at that Outlander club link and the thing that stuck out in my head was it was aproximatly 4' x4'
Thats half our planned space for one club.  While it was oversized, what we have invisioned is much biggeer and needs the room.

One really nit-picky thing...

4' x 4' = 16 sq ft of diorama

9' x 9 ' = 81 sq ft of diorama

so its really 25% of our total space. 

However, Greg's point really is still accurate, we are going to only have 9' of length or width which is basically half of the length/width of the Outlander dio.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:03 PM by BrentS »

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 09:05 AM »
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I have to defend myself in Ryan's post. I didn't specifically drop out of the UGP, I dropped out of customizing completely. An online game became fun to me while customizing seemed to get boring, then came an onslaught of work and suddenly I wasn't a customizer anymore. Now I'm back seeing as the work is less and the online game was shut down.

However, before I left, I was commited to the project. There was just nothing to do. Nobody sent me any assignments or the newletter or anything. You have my name there for bailing out but apparently didn't have my name on any list of people to tell what to do. If you all want my help then you need to send me an assignment or something - a figure to make or whatever.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2007, 11:33 AM »
CK- try not to take anything Ryan said personally.  I think he was just trying to merely point out that enthusiasm for this project was rampant when first introduced.  However, we had no real way of organizing what the scope would be at that point (without details available from GenCon).  Everyone understands how lives ebb and flow and how interests wan over time.  I don't believe Ryan was intentionally singling out anyone just trying to generalize his point.

Offline CommanderKorbra

• Jedi Initiate
  • Mandalorian Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 12:37 PM »
I understand. I knew he wasn't singling out anyone, I just felt the need to explain myself.

Anyhow, I'll be checking out all the threads in this part of the forum and catching up on everything. Let me know if you need specific things done, including customs.
"I don't think that anything shows a greater passion for Star Wars than when a collector attempts to make their own figures."
-CHEWIE

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 01:46 PM »
I like what brent said in that small group to make some key decisionon . Like Anakin said to Padme, maybe we need a dictator.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 02:43 PM »
...the online game was shut down.

You weren't playing DOD 1.3, were you? CAL shut us down, but TPG picked us up for 6v6 and 3v3 competitive play if you want to check it out.

As for my part in this (and Ryan's post was not offensive at all), I'd also help if given an assignment. I don't know if the newsletter idea was dropped, but frankly, before I stopped receiving them (save for Phruby's Christmas greeting) I was pretty tired of reading them. I attended a few chats about the UGP, but they didn't seem to be very organized at the time. Are those still going on? Eventually, without much to do for the project, I stopped checking this forum as well. Did we vote on a Security force design? Missed that one. I'm still up for transportation if this goes that far, which it quite possibly could, but unless somebody has something in mind for me to do, I'll go back to lurking.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 01:02 AM »
About the newsletters, Dude seriously even during break I had access to the internet maybe 5 minutes a day, and after this I have school again. (I hate private school) On top of it I cant even get ahold of CC1!!!, Tomorrow I'll definately Have time to get a newsletter out, and with that I'll put a link to this thread because it may hopefully stir up some attention. (If I dont choose someone else, because then you obviously cant trust me)

About attendance, Im going, almost 100% sure of it, But I won't be there to set up. I have about 20 guys, or vehicles in my basement ready to go to CIV that will help fill the dio up.

And On "the Chat" topic, I would set a date and a time and let that run its course for almost a month, noone would show up, So then I'd try and revive it maybe using a different time or day,(or both) No one again showed up, I guess that is my fault as I should have sent reminders. WE HAVE TO DECIDE ON A DAY AND TIME, IF WE CAN'T, Paul Can ultimately decide because he is the leader, and if thats what needs to be done for a chat, then so be it.

So this may seam like a post of excuses, and yeah I guess you could call it that, but I seriously have been swamped. I think this thing could be totally turned around, especially if we can get a hold of some people at GTG.

Hey Paul, Im also gonna revive the galactic hunter and SWAN threads, becuase if I remember right there were some people who were interested that never came around.
Also, we could send a message to Arnie and Marge, and see if we could get a slot on one of the upcoming podcasts. :-\

Adam

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 11:41 AM »
You count me in for donating my Imperial Army and to help set up. I know I won't have time to commit otherwise, but I know I'll be able to set the time aside to be there.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 12:43 PM »
Wow, dude you have like hundreds of troops!!! there goes the problem of imperials. :P