Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50311 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Guitar Hero and Rock Band
« Reply #105 on: April 8, 2008, 04:21 PM »
Look out:  Charlie Daniels is pissed.

I had a rude awakening recently when I looked at a video game.

It was called Guitar Hero and is wildly popular with the younger set. I heard they had used one of my songs but I hadn't seen it until recently and when I did I was in for some unpleasant surprises.

The game features a rock band playing heavy metal covers of different songs and enables the player to become part of the band, pushing colored buttons on a faux guitar neck which correspond with colors going by on the screen as the song plays.

Actually the game really has a dark side complete with grotesque monsters on stage with the band, strange, eerie lighting effects and all manner of weird things popping up on the stage.

To tell you the truth the whole thing bothered me and struck me as something that is not the healthiest thing in the world for young, impressionable minds to be exposed to, but the thing that really got me was what they had done with my song.

The song, "The Devil Went Down To Georgia," which I wrote, is supposed to be a lighthearted novelty about a fiddling contest between a country boy and the devil and the devil always loses.

That is not the case with the Guitar Hero version which comes complete with a horned, guitar-playing devil who battles the player and very often wins.

I want any of you parents out there whose children have this game to know that I did not grant these people my permission to pervert my song and am disgusted with the result.

Unfortunately I lost the publishing rights on the song many years ago in a settlement with a former partner and the license to Guitar Hero was granted by the company who now owns the publishing.

I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I'm sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

At this time I don't know if I have any legal recourse, probably not, but I wanted you folks to know that I vehemently disagree with what has been done to a piece of my work. And would like to pass along a little advice to parents of young children.

This game looks innocent enough but if you have a child who is playing it, take the time to sit with him or her while they're playing along and take a serious look at the images on the screen.

You may be surprised at the world they're being exposed to.

Pray for our troops

What do you think?

God Bless America

Charlie Daniels

April 4, 2008
« Last Edit: April 8, 2008, 04:22 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Guitar Hero
« Reply #106 on: April 8, 2008, 05:34 PM »
The devil doesn't always win if your good enough at the game. I think Charlie Daniels needs to try the game on easy.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I bet this has been discussed already, but since I haven't been following along I'll just ask anyway - does anyone know when the wireless guitars will be available for purchase (for Xbox 360) without the bundle?  I want to get a second one but definitely don't need another copy of the game.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Guitar Hero and Rock Band
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20 PM »
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 01:20 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2008, 02:55 PM »
I finally broke down and popped down the $90 for the Wii version.  Glad I finally did.  :)  I was pretty thrilled to see the likes of Number of the Beast and One.  My 8 year old daughter is really into it as well and the cool thing is she's digging a lot of the music.  She wants me to make her a CD with various tunes I never thought she'd listen to.  Good stuff.

John

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2008, 03:26 PM »
I bet this has been discussed already, but since I haven't been following along I'll just ask anyway - does anyone know when the wireless guitars will be available for purchase (for Xbox 360) without the bundle?  I want to get a second one but definitely don't need another copy of the game.

I think these are available now.  This past weekend, I saw Les Paul guitars for he Wii, PS3, and Xbox at WM for $69.99, and I saw the drums and guitar for Rock Band at EB Games last week.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2008, 04:33 PM »
We've seen the guitars up at Walmart in Canada for a couple of weeks now.  Turns out I could have made some money on the Wii guitars as we were pretty much the first to see the stand alone packaging at retail it seems. 

I'd be happy if they'd release a different stand alone guitar for the PS2 but I guess I'll wait for the Aerosmith package this summer.  Not that far off now and I'm still not done hard on GHIII.   :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #113 on: April 16, 2008, 10:21 AM »
Box art for GH: Aerosmith (note the Aerosmith faceplate):

Releases June 29.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 16, 2008, 10:32 AM »
I'm not opposed to the faceplate, but then I won't be buying the PS3 version either.  I'm hoping they do something nice with the PS2 version as well. 

Any news on tracks other than what you posted back in late March? 

The manufacturer's product listing for the game includes the songs "Dream On", "Make It", "Mama Kin", and "Movin' Out"[10] (all from their 1973 debut album) as well as an "original composition by Joe Perry"[10], though all of this information was later removed from the site. The tag line for the game (as it is seen on the official game site) also suggests that the song "Walk This Way" will also be included.[5] Other songs include "Sweet Emotion", "Draw the Line", "Uncle Salty", "No Surprize", and "Kings and Queens"[11]. Guitarist Joe Perry has stated that the game will include "30 or 40" songs.[9] The game will also include tracks from bands that Aerosmith has either played with or that have been a source of inspiration to their music, including Mott the Hoople's "All the Young Dudes", The Kinks' "All Day and All of the Night", Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Loving You", and Cheap Trick's "Dream Police"[11]. Other artists include Lenny Kravitz, The Black Crowes, Run-D.M.C., Stone Temple Pilots[12][10], Deep Purple, and The White Stripes.[13]

I'm kind of assuming the Run-D.M.C song would be Walk This Way.  Still hoping for more diversity than just the bands listed.  Figuring on 8 levels, one Aerosmith song per level would be fine by me, filling out the other 32 songs with other bands would be ideal. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #115 on: April 16, 2008, 10:56 AM »
I'm not opposed to the faceplate, but then I won't be buying the PS3 version either.  I'm hoping they do something nice with the PS2 version as well.

Looks like there's several options for the PS2 version:

Game only for $49.99 USD

Bundles:  Game with wired SG controller in either dark wood or light wood for $79.99
             Game with wireless Kramer controller for $89.99 
             Game with two wired controllers (one black, one silver) for $109.99

Any news on tracks other than what you posted back in late March?

I'm kind of assuming the Run-D.M.C song would be Walk This Way.  Still hoping for more diversity than just the bands listed.  Figuring on 8 levels, one Aerosmith song per level would be fine by me, filling out the other 32 songs with other bands would be ideal. 

Format looks to be two songs by other bands followed by three Aerosmith songs.  Repeat.

The first three tiers are like this:

Nipmuc High School
Mott the Hoople ~ "All the Young Dudes" (cover)
Cheap Trick ~ "Dream Police"
Aerosmith ~ "Make It"
Aerosmith ~ "Uncle Salty"
Aerosmith ~ "Draw the Line"

Max's Kansas City
Joan Jett ~ "I Hate Myself for Loving You"
The Kinks ~ "All Day and All of the Night" (cover)
Aerosmith ~ "Movin' Out"
Aerosmith ~ "No Surprize"
Aerosmith ~ "Sweet Emotion"

The Orpheum
The Clash ~ "Complete Control"
New York Dolls ~ "Personality Crisis" (cover)
Aerosmith ~ "Livin' on the Edge"
Aerosmith ~ "Rag Doll"
Aerosmith ~ "Love in an Elevator"

?
Aerosmith ~ "Kings and Queens," "Mama Kin," "Walk This Way," "Combination" (my personal favorite Aerosmith tune)

In addition to the artists above, the game is expected to include tracks from Lenny Kravitz, The Black Crowes, Run-D.M.C., Stone Temple Pilots[16][14], Deep Purple and The White Stripes.[17] The game is reported to have "about 60 percent Aerosmith and 40 percent artists that either inspired Aerosmith, played with Aerosmith, or are liked by Aerosmith."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Thanks. 

I expect I'll be buying it anyway, though I was hoping for a little less Aerosmith than that, more from other bands.  As I've said earlier, I just don't think that going predominantly with a single band for the most part is going to be my preferred format.  Whether it's Metallica, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin or anyone else.  I just like the diversity of the songs from the earlier formats.  I'm already an Aerosmith fan and have most of their music in my library.  The earlier GH games have caused me to go out and buy music from bands I'd either never heard of or just didn't own any of.  Isn't that a positive thing?

Looks like I'll go with the wireless Kramer bundle this time around so I have two guitars (finally). 

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #117 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20 PM »
I think i will be buying this.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I think I'm in, too.  The game seems like it's turning out to be better than it originally sounded.  I wouldn't be interested in paying $60 for the game by itself, but I was wanting a second Les Paul controller anyway, and those are around $70 by themselves, so if you spend $100 for the bundle, that's kind of like the game's only about $30, which is about what I was wanting to spend for it anyway.  So, using that logic, it works out.

And here's a better look at the new faceplate:

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2008, 11:26 AM »
GHIV recipe will add a pinch of Rock Band

Talking to Conde Nast Portfolio magazine, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick mentioned that Guitar Hero IV will "include a lot of other instruments" including a microphone for vocals. Hence the Rock Band comparison. Kotick also mentioned that GHIV will be the "first game we've had in which we can use local content and local bands", possibly allowing them to release local band DLC to select markets.

So, there you have it. Guitar Hero IV (not the Aerosmith edition, that's something entirely separate) will feature additional instruments and local content while still retaining the Guitar Hero name.