Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50496 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #195 on: January 5, 2009, 06:09 PM »
It looks like Best Buy is trying to translate the popularity of Guitar Hero and Rock Band into the sales of ACTUAL musical instruments.  They're now listing REAL INSTRUMENTS on the website, but I've yet to see any in an actual store.

I don't know who came up with this stroke of genius ::) but do they really think it's going to get some kid to bug their parents to get them an ACTUAL Les Paul that costs over $3000?

And Matt?  You'd best respect the Ox.  The man could play his ass off.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #196 on: January 6, 2009, 01:37 AM »
Nick,

Best Buy has had instruments for a while...I purchased a keyboard from them about 6 years ago...long before Guitar Hero was popular.

I received Rock Band 2 as an early birthday present today since it was a day off.  What a fun game!   :D

I've played drums for years, but it was fun playing the guitar!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #197 on: January 6, 2009, 05:56 PM »
It looks like Best Buy is trying to translate the popularity of Guitar Hero and Rock Band into the sales of ACTUAL musical instruments.  They're now listing REAL INSTRUMENTS on the website, but I've yet to see any in an actual store.

I don't know who came up with this stroke of genius ::) but do they really think it's going to get some kid to bug their parents to get them an ACTUAL Les Paul that costs over $3000?

You mean to tell me that these silly music video games are prompting some kids to want to pick up an ACTUAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENT!?!?  The horror!  This is outrageous!

I respect him as much as a dead cokehead can possibly be respected.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 6, 2009, 09:20 PM »
so has anyone tried the new (atleast i think its new) Guitar Masters game for the pc? its basically guitar hero for real guitars. looks like a good way to learn how to really play instead of pressing buttons lol.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 6, 2009, 09:33 PM »
Nick,

Best Buy has had instruments for a while...I purchased a keyboard from them about 6 years ago...long before Guitar Hero was popular.

I received Rock Band 2 as an early birthday present today since it was a day off.  What a fun game!   :D

I've played drums for years, but it was fun playing the guitar!

They've had consumer level keyboards for years.  I'm talking about REAL instruments.  Like guitars, basses, drums, amplifiers and the like.  Some of which cost over $3,000.  Not a crappy keyboard that sells for $150.

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 6, 2009, 09:33 PM »

I respect him as much as a dead cokehead can possibly be respected.

How do you think he was able to play so fast?

;D

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #201 on: January 6, 2009, 09:51 PM »
so has anyone tried the new (atleast i think its new) Guitar Masters game for the pc? its basically guitar hero for real guitars. looks like a good way to learn how to really play instead of pressing buttons lol.

I haven't seen that one, but I saw this one just now:

http://www.guitarpraise.com/

I've been wanting a downloadable Stryper track pack for Rock Band, but this is even better!

How do you think he was able to play so fast?

;D

Good point. 

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Guitar Hero: Metallica ~ March 29

Remember that "first half of 2009" stuff? Well, we actually have a real date for you now for the all 'Tallica Guitar Hero game . . . March 29 in North America for Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation 3, with our friends outside of North America seeing the game in early May. Nintendo Wii and PS2 will follow later in the Spring, also most likely in early May.

In case you missed the December news story, Guitar Hero Metallica allows you to play as us in either single instrument or band career game modes in your choice of some famous settings or new venues with in the round staging. Included are 28 Metallica songs along with a few from some of our favs like Alice in Chains, the Foo Fighters, Slayer, Machine Head and Queen. There is also an all new Expert+ difficulty setting featuring two bass drum kick pedals (!!!) along with all the gameplay modes from Guitar Hero World Tour.

We've got some fun stuff planned leading up to release, and of course more details and previews of the game, so stay tuned! And if you would like to check out the trailer again, click here.

Link

I've said before that I wouldn't be picking this up at first, and that's still true.

However, my mom's birthday is March 29, and now I know exactly what to get her.  Oh, happy day!

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2009, 09:51 PM »

One of the Best Buys near my parent's house just added a really big musical instument section to the store. I have yet to actually walk in that section but it looked pretty nice. I've kind of wanted to try and pick up a musical instrument for a while now.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2009, 05:53 PM »
Picked up a Rock Band 2 drum set this afternoon.

Will wait until later this evening to get my ass handed to me on Easy.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2009, 08:55 PM »
You didn't buy the first set?  Huh.  We got the full RB1 kit so I've avoided any of the new stuff of late.  Haven't grabbed any games or track packs at this point either.  I know we'll get a Wii for sure, but I'm still contemplating that backwards compatible PS3 :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06 PM »
You didn't buy the first set?  Huh.

No, I just kept reading about all the problems people were having with the first set, so that kept me away.  Supposedly, this new set is worlds better than the first one, and I'm getting a little bored with the guitar, so I decided it was finally time to bite.

I know we'll get a Wii for sure, but I'm still contemplating that backwards compatible PS3 :-\

Contemplating what backwards-compatible PS3?  The ones that Sony doesn't make anymore? 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2009, 12:24 AM »
Picked up a Rock Band 2 drum set this afternoon.

Will wait until later this evening to get my ass handed to me on Easy.

Speaking as someone who's been playing drums since he was 12, I prefer the guitar.   :D

It's not that the drums are all that hard, but my instincts want me to play them differently.  It's like afriend of mine who got an ultralight airplane after flying regular airplanes for years...he had real difficulty because his natural instincts had him wanting to do things the wrong way because the ultralight's controls were backwards compared to a normal airplane.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2009, 05:57 PM »
After almost two weeks of owning the Rock Band drums (Mark II), I feel I'm ready to give a review, and here it is:  They're fun.  Buy them. 

. . .

Guitar Hero: Metallica tracklisting confirmed

Metallica tracks

* “All Nightmare Long”
    * “Battery”
    * “Creeping Death”
    * “Disposable Heroes”
    * “Dyers Eve”
    * “Enter Sandman”
    * “Fade To Black”
    * “Fight Fire With Fire”
    * “For Whom The Bell Tolls”
    * “Frantic”
    * “Fuel”
    * “Hit The Lights”
    * “King Nothing”
    * “Master of Puppets”
    * “Mercyful Fate”
    * “No Leaf Clover”
    * “Nothing Else Matters”
    * “One”
    * “Orion”
    * “Sad But True”
    * “Seek And Destroy”
    * “The Memory Remains”
    * “The Shortest Straw”
    * “The Thing That Should Not Be”
    * “The Unforgiven”
    * “Welcome Home (Sanitarium)”
    * “Wherever I May Roam”
    * “Whiplash”

Non-Metallica tracks:

* Alice In Chains - “No Excuses”
    * Bob Seger - “Turn The Page (Live)”
    * Corrosion of Conformity - “Albatross”
    * Diamond Head - “Am I Evil?”
    * Foo Fighters - “Stacked Actors”
    * Judas Priest - “Hell Bent For Leather”
    * Kyuss - “Demon Cleaner”
    * Lynyrd Skynyrd - “Tuesdays Gone”
    * Machine Head - “Beautiful Mourning”
    * Mastodon - “Blood And Thunder”
    * Mercyful Fate - “Evil”
    * Michael Schenker Group - “Armed and Ready”
    * Motörhead - “Ace of Spades”
    * Queen - “Stone Cold Crazy”
    * Samhain - “Mother of Mercy”
    * Slayer - “War Ensemble”
    * Social Distortion - “Mommy's Little Monster (Live)”
    * Suicidal Tendencies - “War Inside My Head”
    * System of a Down - “Toxicity”
    * The Sword - “Black River”
    * Thin Lizzy - “The Boys Are Back in Town”

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #209 on: January 29, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Matt - Any recent news on when GH:WT will have the drums sold on their own? I'd like to pick up a set, but haven't seen any solid news on when they might put them out.

The separate drums are finally up for pre-order on Red Octane's site now.  ETA February 2009, it says.  $99.99 with free shipping for all kits on all systems; however, the midi-USB cable which you'll need to hook your drums up to your computer to adjust their sensitivity is completely free of charge and can be ordered here after filling out a warranty claim.  So, you might as well go ahead and order one of those, too.

Anyway, enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 07:27 PM by Matt »