Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50317 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2009, 02:05 PM »
GH3 has four songs remaining on hard  ::)

Good luck with that; I've been stuck on the last three songs on Hard for oh, about a year now.  ******' Neversoft.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2009, 02:58 PM »
I know.  I was so damn happy to finish the previous set and then was crushed within seconds on the final set :-\  One taunts you so nicely too.  Maiden I can't quite get the rythym on for the opening and then the Slayer tune is just nutty, of course. 

Still, pleased I got through at least a single song in there. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #272 on: July 21, 2009, 12:05 PM »
The Beatles: Rock Band trailer #2

Fifteen new songs revealed:

# Twist And Shout / Cavern Club
# Do You Want To Know A Secret / Cavern Club
# Can't Buy Me Love / Ed Sullivan Theater
# I Wanna Be Your Man / Ed Sullivan Theater
# Eight Days A Week / Shea Stadium
# Paperback Writer / Budokan
# And Your Bird Can Sing / Budokan
# Yellow Submarine / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band* / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# With a Little Help from My Friends* / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# Within You Without You / Tomorrow Never Knows / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# Revolution / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# Birthday / Abbey Road Dreamscape
# Dig A Pony / Rooftop Concert
# I've Got A Feeling / Rooftop Concert

In addition to the ten songs previously confirmed:

"Back in the U.S.S.R." 
"Day Tripper"
"Get Back"
"Here Comes the Sun"
"I Am the Walrus"
"I Feel Fine"
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"I Want to Hold Your Hand"
"Octopus's Garden"
"Taxman"

Still twenty more songs to go.

This is shaping up to be a better experience than actually seeing the actual Beatles (yes, all of them) perform live in concert.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2009, 05:23 PM »
The Band That, Unbelievably, Is Still Making New Music That, Perhaps Even More Unbelievably, People Are Still Listening To, is set to release more said music (much of which is unheard by said people) to the Rock Band platform:

"Backspacer" will also be available on "Rock Band" the day it comes out, and Target has an exclusive on an edition of the album featuring access to download its songs for "Rock Band" on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. It's a precursor to a dedicated Pearl Jam game that could hit stores in 2010.

Billboard: Pearl Jam: 'Back' To The Future

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2009, 05:25 PM »
The Band That, Unbelievably, Is Still Making New Music That, Perhaps Even More Unbelievably, People Are Still Listening To, is set to release more said music (much of which is unheard by said people) to the Rock Band platform:

"Backspacer" will also be available on "Rock Band" the day it comes out, and Target has an exclusive on an edition of the album featuring access to download its songs for "Rock Band" on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. It's a precursor to a dedicated Pearl Jam game that could hit stores in 2010.

Billboard: Pearl Jam: 'Back' To The Future
I'd rather play the songs on a real guitar (if I could play guitar).  Lame

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2009, 05:32 PM »
I'd rather play the songs on a real guitar (if I could play guitar).  Lame

Good for you.  Run along, now, and don't forget to update your PJ thread with the story that I originally posted here, "Scoop".  ::)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2009, 05:33 PM »
I'd rather play the songs on a real guitar (if I could play guitar).  Lame

I've heard from a number of people that playing these Rock Band games actaully helps you to learn to play a real guitar.  Maybe if you buy the game and learn the songs that way, you can transfer the knowledge to a real guitar!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2009, 05:47 PM »
See, I've had the opposite experience.  I was halfway through my classical guitar studies at Juilliard when Guitar Hero 1 came out and I said "**** it--there's no future in classical guitar, video game guitar is where it's at."  I told my instructor to take a hike and I've been playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band tournaments ever since.  I'm making so much bank and scoring so much tail it's not even funny.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #278 on: August 6, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Guitar Hero: Van Halen releases on December 22.

Here's the tracklisting:

Van Halen Songs
“Ain't Talkin Bout Love”
“And The Cradle Will Rock”
“Atomic Punk”
“Beautiful Girls”
“Cathedral” (solo)
“Dance The Night Away”
“Eruption” (solo)
“Everybody Wants Some”
“Feel Your Love Tonight”
“Hang ‘Em High”
“Hear About It Later”
“Hot For Teacher”
“Ice Cream Man”
“I'm The One”
“Jamie's Cryin”
“Jump”
“Little Guitars”
“Loss Of Control”
“Mean Street”
“Panama”
“Pretty Woman”
“Romeo Delight”
“Running With The Devil”
“So This Is Love”
“Somebody Get Me A Doctor”
“Spanish Fly” (solo)
“Unchained”
“You Really Got Me”

Similar Tracks Also In The Game
Alter Bridge - “Come To Life”
Billy Idol - “White Wedding”
blink-182 - “First Date”
Deep Purple - “Space Truckin”
Foo Fighters - “Best Of You”
Foreigner - “Double Vision”
Fountains of Wayne - “Stacy's Mom”
Jimmy Eat World - “Pain”
Judas Priest - “Painkiller”
Killswitch Engage - “The End Of Heartache”
Lenny Kravitz - “Rock And Roll Is Dead”
Queen - “I Want It All”
Queens of the Stone Age - “Sick, Sick, Sick”
Tenacious D - “Master Exploder”
The Clash - “Safe European Home”
The Offspring - “Pretty Fly For A White Guy”
Third Eye Blind - “Semi-Charmed Life”
Weezer - “Dope Nose”
Yellowcard - “The Takedown”

Still no full tracklisting for The Beatles.   >:(
« Last Edit: August 6, 2009, 04:09 PM by Matt »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 6, 2009, 08:43 PM »
Trying to wait out the inevitable slash to 50% that should come at the end of summer or so.

It appears to be the end of summer.  Picked up the full RB2 package at Wally World for $99 today.  Sony and their PS3 backwards noncompatibility can now officially kiss my ass. 

I like the VH track listing, but I'll wait on that one as well for the sale price.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #280 on: August 11, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I like the VH track listing, but I'll wait on that one as well for the sale price.

How about for free with a purchase of Guitar Hero 5?  Not a bad deal.  I think I'm in.  Was planning on picking up GH5 during TRU's annual Buy Two, Get One Free sale in October, anyway.

And speaking of GH5:

Yes it is, and apparently you'll be able to import all the tracks from GH: World Tour into it as well.

I think I've been reading this wrong, this whole time.  Apparently it's just the downloadable stuff from World Tour and not the songs on the actual disc.

I don't have any downloadable songs for World Tour outside of the free ones, so this is a bummer, man.

Apparently it will allow for some "disc-importing" after all.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:50 PM by Matt »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #281 on: August 12, 2009, 02:34 PM »
The New York Times put up a huge, in-depth article about The Beatles: Rock Band yesterday:  While My Guitar Gently Beeps

Of note:

Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's will be full-album downloads along with Abbey Road

Also of note, and I quote:

PEOPLE WHO PLAY Rock Band and Guitar Hero like to post videos of their efforts to YouTube. Almost inevitably, these attract comments like the following:

“pick up a real guitar”

“lets see you get a life, and actually get out of the house instead of been a loser and trying to show off with your ‘skill’ to touch plastic”

“you dont rock your a sad loser whos never gonna loose his virginity”

There is something about music video games that infuriates people. The hostility comes largely from musicians, although many people who enjoy these games are musicians themselves. Even people who are not offended by the games are frequently baffled by them. Olivia Harrison admits that her husband’s response to Rock Band probably would have been, “Why don’t they play real guitars?”

Gamers in turn are baffled by the criticism of what is, after all, “just a game.” People who play Halo or Gran Turismo are rarely asked why they don’t pick up a real gun or race real cars. You rarely hear that Monopoly is a waste of time because it doesn’t actually teach anything about buying hotels. The disparagement of Rock Band and Guitar Hero, then, suggests that music games do resemble actual performance, at least enough so that people feel the need to point out that they are not. Indeed a common defense of Rock Band is that it does teach musical fundamentals or at least inspires people to upgrade to proper instruments. MTV Games’ Paul DeGooyer likens Rock Band to the Kodaly method of music instruction, which assigned hand symbols to do-re-mi and involves using rhythmic tapping as pedagogical building blocks.

Kiri Miller, an assistant professor of ethnomusicology at Brown University who studies video-game music, says the two most common responses to the game are equally misguided. “Either these games are supposed to be teaching you some fabulous skill that we can celebrate or they are supposed to be having some terrible deleterious effect and turning you into some kind of automaton,” she told me. Instead of thinking of the games in relation, good or bad, to traditional performance, she finds them “compelling in and of themselves as a new form of musical experience.”

The hostility that people have toward Rock Band and Guitar Hero, she adds, is an expression of schizophonic anxiety — “schizophonia” being the composer R. Murray Schafer’s word for the split between music and its source, first coined 40 years ago to explain why an earlier generation was deeply troubled by the advent of recorded music. The way people came to terms with the phenomenon of recording, Miller explains, “was to create these really sharp distinctions between the live and the recorded. So we know what’s live, and it has its particular value and authenticity; and we know what’s recorded, and it also eventually has its particular value and authenticity.” Music gaming disturbs people because it upends those distinctions by adding to recorded music “this component of physical bodily performance that we think of as being a hallmark of liveness.”

Scorn for music gaming is thus related to scorn for lip synching. Miller, who identifies the games as “rock drag,” says it’s no coincidence that so much of the online vitriol takes the form of homophobic slurs, or that Guitar Hero was mocked by “South Park” as Guitar Queer-o. “I want to be careful not to drag us too deep into the valley of queer theory,” she said, before going on to explain that the hatred of Rock Band likely has something to do with people using their bodies in a way that fails to match expectations — they’re obviously not playing music, but it sure looks and sounds as if they are — and doing so in a way that is simultaneously tongue-in-cheek and sincere. For the Beatles to embrace this transgressive and supposedly juvenile and nerdy medium in such a public way is “a benediction” that only history’s most important rock group could give, Miller says. “I fully expect it may help me get more grants.”

Ringo relates:

Peering over his rectangular tinted glasses, Starr admitted that he’d tried to play Rock Band only once: “It’s impossible. I cannot watch the line going down and play at the same time.” The problem, he suggested, is that he’s a musician. People who like Rock Band, “they’re playing a game, they’re not making music. The music is already made.” The game, it seemed, perplexed him a little. “The kids are getting really great at this game,” he said, “but they couldn’t suddenly go and play the Staples Center.”

Paul pontificates:

At 67, McCartney, even up close, is still unmistakably the cute one. He smiled, the lines around his eyes crinkling, and unbuttoned his jacket as he sat down. Like Starr, he volunteered that he can’t play his own game, but he suspects that if it had been around when he was a kid, he would have liked it.

Would he have liked it too much? I asked. If his drive to play rock ’n’ roll had been satiated by a 1950s Guitar Hero, would the world have been robbed of the Beatles? “I don’t think so,” he said, shaking his head. “Knowing me and knowing my ambition.” He thought for a bit, then added that any kid who is going to become a musician anyway won’t decide to stop with a game. “They’ll get the Beatles down, but then if they’re that into music, they’ll just hook up with friends, like they do, and say, let’s try to write one of our own. I think that’ll always happen.”

Anyway, good article.  Long, but worth the read if you're at all interested in the game.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 12, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Bah, Poppycock.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2009, 06:53 PM »
Finally picked up GH5 today - and put in for the free Van Halen one, which is nice, because I probably would have bought it anyway.