Author Topic: Guitar Hero / Rock Band  (Read 50490 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Guitar Hero / Rock Band
« Reply #165 on: November 23, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Guitar Hero 1,2, 80's and 3 are all marked down at Targets to $19.99.  Aerosmith and World Tour are still at full price. 

So now that we have the AC/DC track pack and possible Beatles (whom I love as a band but would find this pretty boring) when are they going to get the Led out?  Or Maiden?  We need more guitar driven tracks.

Also, any rumors of any Floyd, Tesla or Hendrix songs on the way?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 11:04 PM by Jim »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Last Edit: December 2, 2008, 05:36 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #167 on: December 2, 2008, 06:03 PM »
. . .possible Beatles (whom I love as a band but would find this pretty boring)

Ignoring what I supposedly said in this very thread way back on February 19th, I'm psyched about the Beatles game.  Harmonix has something special with that license and I'm sure they'll deliver.

when are they going to get the Led out?  Or Maiden?  We need more guitar driven tracks.

Don't know (or care) much about Maiden, but Zeppelin probably won't be happening any time soon:

. . .But some bands have resisted the call of the new medium. Led Zeppelin's thundering riffs are among the most sought after by music game makers, but the group's guitarist, Jimmy Page, and his bandmates have repeatedly turned down offers from both Activision and MTV, says Peter Mensch, a partner at Q Prime Management, which manages Mr. Page, along with Metallica and other acts.

The sticking point: The band isn't comfortable with the prospect of granting outsiders access to its master tapes, a necessary step in creating the games. "It ain't about the money," Mr. Mensch says.

(link)

Also, any rumors of any Floyd, Tesla or Hendrix songs on the way?

No idea on Floyd or Tesla, but "Purple Haze (live)" and "The Wind Cries Mary" are already in GH World Tour.  In addition, there was a Hendrix track pack released a few weeks ago for GH WT which consists of "If 6 Was 9," "Little Wing" and a live version of "Fire" from Woodstock. 
« Last Edit: December 2, 2008, 06:16 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 2, 2008, 06:57 PM »
In addition, there was a Hendrix track pack released a few weeks ago for GH WT which consists of "If 6 Was 9," "Little Wing" and a live version of "Fire" from Woodstock. 

Online I presume?  Geez, I might have to break down and join this century. :-\

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #169 on: December 2, 2008, 07:35 PM »
Online I presume?

Yessir!

Geez, I might have to break down and join this century. :-\

Maybe you can buy a PS3 sometime after the PS4 comes out.   :-X
« Last Edit: December 2, 2008, 08:58 PM by Matt »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 2, 2008, 10:54 PM »
That'd be about accurate for my gaming habits ::)  I was contemplating the PS3 for the backwards compatible option pretty seriously recently.  But with the prices, I figured I could get a Wii and new controllers for about the same amount of money, so aside from the Blu-Ray player, why bother?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #171 on: December 2, 2008, 11:52 PM »
I was contemplating the PS3 for the backwards compatible option pretty seriously recently.  But with the prices, I figured I could get a Wii and new controllers for about the same amount of money, so aside from the Blu-Ray player, why bother?

Why bother?  You tell me.

Wii Won't Receive All Guitar Hero DLC Due to Bundle 'Restrictions'

"Technical or licensing restrictions" will prevent Wii owners from receiving all of the Guitar Hero World Tour downloadable content that PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 players can access, publisher Activision Blizzard has revealed.

As the Wii's online Shop Channel lacks the ability to bundle multiple downloads into one purchase--the store only allows songs to be sold individually--some downloadadable content, such as last week's Jimi Hendrix Track Pack, will not be available on Wii.

"Certain artists prefer to keep the integrity of the track pack rather than releasing singles," Activision Blizzard told MTV Multiplayer, referencing the Hendrix pack.

Bottom line, America Canada:  The Wii is balls when it comes to downloadable content in Rock Band and Guitar Hero.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2008, 12:01 AM by Matt »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 3, 2008, 09:50 AM »
I finally jumped on the GH bandwagon and picked up the GHIII set (PS3) for $50 at TRU last Friday.  Decent deal I suppose.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 3, 2008, 07:57 PM »
Matt - Any recent news on when GH:WT will have the drums sold on their own? I'd like to pick up a set, but haven't seen any solid news on when they might put them out.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #174 on: December 3, 2008, 08:29 PM »
Matt - Any recent news on when GH:WT will have the drums sold on their own? I'd like to pick up a set, but haven't seen any solid news on when they might put them out.

I don't know, but there is this:

Activision and hardware manufacturer Logitech today announced a partnership to develop and market "premium" instrument controllers for the console editions of Guitar Hero World Tour. The peripherals are set to roll out after the title's release later this year.

The only GH peripheral up on Logitech's site right now is a $250 (!) guitar for the PS2 and PS3 only.

But in the meantime, why not pick up one of the Rock Band drum sets?  They're fully compatible with GHWT.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 3, 2008, 10:20 PM »
I was contemplating the PS3 for the backwards compatible option pretty seriously recently.  But with the prices, I figured I could get a Wii and new controllers for about the same amount of money, so aside from the Blu-Ray player, why bother?

Why bother?  You tell me.

Wii Won't Receive All Guitar Hero DLC Due to Bundle 'Restrictions'

"Technical or licensing restrictions" will prevent Wii owners from receiving all of the Guitar Hero World Tour downloadable content that PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 players can access, publisher Activision Blizzard has revealed.

As the Wii's online Shop Channel lacks the ability to bundle multiple downloads into one purchase--the store only allows songs to be sold individually--some downloadadable content, such as last week's Jimi Hendrix Track Pack, will not be available on Wii.

"Certain artists prefer to keep the integrity of the track pack rather than releasing singles," Activision Blizzard told MTV Multiplayer, referencing the Hendrix pack.

Bottom line, America Canada:  The Wii is balls when it comes to downloadable content in Rock Band and Guitar Hero.

Well that would be why ::) :'(  Back to frickin' ebay I guess.  Stoopid Sony.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 4, 2008, 03:52 PM »

But in the meantime, why not pick up one of the Rock Band drum sets?  They're fully compatible with GHWT.

I've considered that, but under the impression that the GH:WT set was better. Thoughts?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #177 on: December 4, 2008, 04:51 PM »
I've only played the first RB set so I'm afraid I'm not well-informed enough to have an opinion.

But I'm in kind of the same boat--I want a drum set, but am trying to find out which one works the best for the opposing game.  Haven't found a whole lot of direct comparisons on them yet from people who have played both sets.  They both seem to have their pros and cons, almost offsetting each other to the point of it being a wash.  I'm leaning towards the new RB2 set as being the one to go with.  From what I've gathered, they've made some improvements to it which makes it worth the $40 difference in price between the old and new sets.

The second version of the controller, distributed with Rock Band 2, introduced quieter, "velocity sensitive" drum pads, a reinforced kick pedal, wireless capabilities, and compatibility with separately-sold cymbals.

As far as the GH drums go, though, I don't know.  Sure would be nice if they would sell those separately to give people another option.  Maybe this deal with Logitech is responsible for that, who knows.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 6, 2008, 01:33 PM »
I got my son the bundle pack at Walmart on black Friday (Guitar Hero 1,2 and 80's bands) for his PS2.  So....any tips for me when I try this out after he opens his gifts?  We are going to visit him the week before Christmas and he'll get it then and I know he plays some other game with the guitar so I don't want to be the one that is clueless when I try it (I'll leave that to Hubby  ;)).
Beth

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 14, 2008, 03:12 AM »
TRU has a special in the ad for RB2; $109.99 plus a $25 gift card.