Author Topic: Behold: The Language Police  (Read 2879 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Behold: The Language Police
« on: June 4, 2003, 11:14 AM »
I hate the politically correct. Here's an article on CNN describing just how far it's gotten:

Language police bar 'old,' 'blind'

This is ridiculous. Textbook publishers "don't want controversy and they don't want people screaming," so they're dumbing down schoolbooks to "make the language as inoffensive as possible."

Oh my God, where have all the people with BALLS gone? Are there really that many litigious leftist liberals out there?

I can't walk my children through a mall without hearing teenagers and adults casually dropping the F-bomb in between every other word as if it's perfectly acceptable to curse like a sailor in any context. Social etiquette has gotten that bad. But when it comes to the written word, we cringe at the thought of labelling an old man "old" or a blind man "blind?" Give me a break.

When are we going to rebel against these uptight pansies? Is the casual use of vulgarity a direct response, a venting of what's left before they take that away, too? How are we supposed to communicate with each other at all once the politically correct are done censoring language, removing all the pointy nouns with sharp adjectives so no one ever ever ever gets their feelings hurt, deservedly or not?

>:(
Post sober.

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Behold: The Language Police
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2003, 11:27 AM »
LMAO!!! This reminds me of the movie "Judge Dredd" where in that portrayed future society they had machines installed that actually fined you if you swore.

If this is what the future is coming to then I guess I'll be pissing off alot of people in the future....because I'm not tailoring my speech or lifestyle to fit what anyone wants.
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2003, 01:08 PM »
LMAO!!! This reminds me of the movie "Judge Dredd" where in that portrayed future society they had machines installed that actually fined you if you swore.

Wasn't the movie you're thinking of Demolition Man?   ;)

Yeah....this sucks, and I wonder where it's going to end. I mean...eventually, this whole vanilla politically correct way of life is going to have to come to an end. When you have women suing men for asking them out more than once, lawsuits for discussions about Seinfeld or Howard Stern, all sorts of words becoming taboo on a regular basis....eventually it has to stop.

I just wonder what the last straw will eventually be.
Got Clones?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2003, 01:26 PM »
Stuff like this is probably why people this day and age are so vulgar... If these morons didn't make such a big deal out of words like (gasp) "fat" or whatever, then us rebels wouldn't find such pleasure in saying it.

Offline TopJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • The Toy Whore!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2003, 01:57 PM »
Josh, thanks for getting my back there man.....I often get Juddge Dredd and Demolition man confused....hehehe :P
Brian AKA TopJedi
sniperman76@hotmail.com

Always interested in trading for Clone troopers,Battle Droids and other army builders

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2003, 02:34 PM »
I guess the better outlaw the term "politically correct" as well. Not everyone can fully comprehend the ideas of politics, so it would be unfair to use the term politically. Correct implies something that is right, as in right or wrong. The idea of right and wrong can ultimately be tied to religious mandate, which we all know must be kept as far away from schools as possible.

From now on the term must be dubbed:

"Equitable use of terminology suitable for persons of any and all stages of existence, genders, genealogical extractions and cultural groups"
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2003, 02:53 PM »
From now on the term must be dubbed:

"Equitable use of terminology suitable for persons of any and all stages of existence, genders, genealogical extractions and cultural groups"

Right on Adam!  I think ya' nailed it there.  Trouble is, the time involved with memorizing that entire blurb (and the time involved in actually saying it)...   :P

But I'll give it a shot, in order to personally act with Equitable use of terminology suitable for persons of any and all stages of existence, genders, genealogical extractions and cultural groups!   :-*