Author Topic: Kubrick Collecting Tips  (Read 11446 times)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
Kubrick Collecting Tips
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:05 AM »
Hey folks- I thought we could use a spot to keep that info on cases and displays handy for new lookers.

Since I am picture challenged, I will post my verbal information, and let the more accomplished swoop in and save the day with pictures. (actually I will post some links to my collection, and you can see some of them there)

Here at the Minnesota chapter of Kubrick's anonymous (where we celebrate our addiction) a popular display choice is the Johnny Lightning holder. You can see it in the background of the cabinet in these pictures.
Nothin like a good crackbrick day...  ;D

I'm trying my link again..  :P

SW photos

It features a hinged door for easy access, but no latch mechanism. Each holds 6 figures in individual compartments. They will hold all of the figures released to date, including IG 88. They also have holes on the back so they can be secured to the wall or cabinet, and interlock if you want to line them up. These were common at Toys R Us, but have started to dried up very recently. They retail for 5.99, and we hope they are still in production.

Another I found last week is a Prestige Display Case by AMT/Ertl for model cars. It is 9 3/4",  long, 4 1/4" deep, and 3 11/16" high. It is a nice way to display up to 6 figures together. If you want IG-88 to fit, you will need to make a very small  (1/4 ") spacer between the cover and the base. Everybody else gets in the door without problem. Hopefully you can find it in the linked pics above.

DSJ pointed us to the individual cases, you can see them here:

[quote author=DSJ™  Those individual Kuby cases can be ordered from Toytokyo for $37.99 for a box of 20 plus shipping.

Kubricks/Be@rbricks 100% Display Case (Box of 20pcs)

Showing in stock so if anyone needs them, grab them. As for mine, on the way!  8)

[/quote]

I also have a plastic case I like to use for storing my star wars kubricks by series. It is by Akro-Mils, and has changeable compartments. It is nice because it is deep enough to hold the boxes too. Each one of mine holds the 6 boxes from a series, with a compartment for each of them loose as well. These are available intermittently at Target, in the home improvement section. I have not found them anywhere else, but I am sure they are out there, or something that will work just as well.

I know there is a link someplace to the carded kubrick case, but I am not finding it. I'm sure someone will jump in and save the day! Here is a pic of them
Not me, I'm keeping him carded with the rest of the gang.   8)

Let's get a kustoms thread started too- Jedijaybird has some great pics of ideas for hair and weapons swaps to create novel bricks. You can see my head-swapped Luke X wings in my link above (with the boxed sets with Luke ceremonial going cheap, I suggest getting one to make a younger Luke pilot).

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:56 AM by Jeff »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick collecting tips
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 04:02 PM »
Oscar makes great custom display cases for Kuby's, carded & boxed. Just sent him an e-mail on you're needs. ;)

Oscar's Cases Linky

This is Oscar's display case that he made for my Endor set.  8)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:25 AM »
My Oscar cases arrived this week- they are absolutely fantastic! It makes all the carded Kubs look even better-

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Carded Kubs?  I don't understand. :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt Brand

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Lunaroma Aromatherapy & Natural Body Care
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Is there a place or a thread on this board to post a wanted figure? I have a friend who is looking for a Red Snag, and doesn't know where to ask (beyond looking on eBay) now that kubrickworld is down.
be_sharp@hotmail.com

Lunaroma Aromatherapy - www.lunaroma.com

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:45 PM »
Is there a place or a thread on this board to post a wanted figure? I have a friend who is looking for a Red Snag, and doesn't know where to ask (beyond looking on eBay) now that kubrickworld is down.
There is a market place here, also maybe in the series 5 thread? Being 1 per box, he might be difficult to find on his own..
Adam

Offline Matt Brand

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 04:52 PM »
There is a market place here, also maybe in the series 5 thread? Being 1 per box, he might be difficult to find on his own..
Cool. I'll refer him to the market place. I figure it'll be a difficult find though.

Thanks!
be_sharp@hotmail.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 11:23 PM »
Matt, I might have a spare around.....lemme look for it.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt Brand

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Matt, I might have a spare around.....lemme look for it.

Great! Just let me know. Thanks. :)
be_sharp@hotmail.com

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
Tomo of Jpn-Items
« Reply #9 on: May 3, 2007, 07:52 PM »
If anyone here has dealt with Tomo or is in the process of dealing with him and you have not heard from him in a while, he is dealing with some personal stuff right now.

http://www.jpn-items.com/

http://blog.myspace.com/jpn_items

I heard from a friend that he is going through quite a rough time.
Tomo is a great guy, he would never do anyone wrong, so give him some time to get stuff in order and I'm sure you will hear from him.

He was going to hook a friend and I up with some of the April box sets but we have not heard from him.

I was lucky enough to have another friend order one for me, the others from Tomo were going to other people my buddy Adam and I know that needed the hookup.(Adam was counting on Tomo as well)
I still hope to hear from him, he did say he ordered the sets, but god only knows what happend, given all the insanity he has been through.

CB
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Kubrick Collecting Tips
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 09:46 AM »

Here at the Minnesota chapter of Kubrick's anonymous (where we celebrate our addiction) a popular display choice is the Johnny Lightning holder. You can see it in the background of the cabinet in these pictures.

So, I picked up some Johnny Lightning Cases as a possible means to display my growing Kube collection.  For those of you that have or are still using them, I've got a question...  When I went to interlock two of them, it made it nearly impossible to get the one on the right to open.  I had to pry my fingers in them to open it.  I'm worried that if it gets mounted it will be even harder.  Do you guys do anything to overcome this?  Second quesition, do you do anything special to keep the cover from coming off the side?  Obviously, when they are sitting horizontally (for cars), gravity keeps the cover in place.  However for Vertical Kubrick placement, the cover seems a bit wobbly (expecially when you open it).  Is this or has it been an issue for you guys?

Offline Marshallmario

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 10:59 AM »
  I haven't had any trouble opening the doors, just make sure the 2 cases are lined up perfectly even with each other, not 1 slightly ahead of the other (mine are wall mounted) To keep the doors shut I re-use that clear glue that comes on stuff in the mail that is sticky but still stretchy. It holds fake credit cards on the flyers, magazine inserts to the magazine. I put just a tiny ball of it in each corner of the doors. It doesn't dry out and is clear so you don't even know it's there.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 09:46 AM »
Thanks for the info.... in my continuing search for display cabinets.  I ran across these on eBay.  Anyone use or seen them?

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Pecos-Trader_Acrylic-Display-Cases_W0QQfsubZ11199722QQfrsrcZ1

98 Slots:

70 Slots:

30 Slots:

10 Slots:

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 01:47 PM »
So I have a follow-up question on those cases I posted earlier.  Can someone help me with the dimensions of a typical Kubrick (since I still only currently have Yoda in my possession).  The individual compartments on those cases are 3 & 5/16" Tall, 1 & 5/8" Wide, and 1&3/4" deep.  Of the current SW Kubricks available, I'm curious how many you wouldn't think would fit inside that?  For the most part, its the width I'm worried about - I'm curious on Kubes such as Han Carbonite (probably a lost cause), Jedi Luke (Cape?), Vader (Cape?), Lando (Cape?), Royal Guards (Cloaks?) Gammo Guard (tubish body?)?  From a height perspective, what about IG-88?

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 01:51 PM by BrentS »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 09:04 PM »
They all fit.  The Han Carbonite won't fit looking at it straight on, but he does fit if you put him in at an angle.  If I remember correctly, IG-88 almost touches the top of the case.

ETA - I was talking about the Johnny Lighting cases, Brent.  Not sure about the other cases you posted, but they look similar to the JL cases and I would guess the dimensions are similar (being that are both made for the same type of product).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 09:06 PM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common